Any gardeners out there?

by Banshee 39 Replies latest social physical

• Banshee
    Banshee

Well, are there any people on this db who are into gardening?

I really love it, myself. I am putting in quite a few vegetables this year. My asparagus patch is finally established and we will be able to get our first harvest from it pretty soon. Also, I am putting in some more flowers. I have some perennials going already and am going to be putting in some more this year as well as a few annuals.

In addition, I am embarking on an experiment with growing/harvesting/drying herbs. I am putting in chamomile, feverfew, hyssop, calendula and basil. I have many more types of herb seeds, but I wanted to start with just a few since I am a beginner on this aspect of gardening.

I hope all the people who love gardening see this post and reply!

• Mac
    Mac

Yeppers...

mac

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

I think there's more than two! Where are you gardeners hiding...

I've got into gardening over the last few years Banshee, since the current mrs iggy got an allotment a few years ago. I was dragged along reluctantly at first, to do the heavy digging, but now I really like it. Since the arrival of firstborn she's not able to do so much, so I'm trying to keep the allotment going on my own. At the moment I'm keeping the planting simple, potatoes, onions, beans, you know the easy stuff. I don't have much of an artistic flair for gardening with flowers and stuff, but I enjoy the more agricultural stuff (dig hole, put seed in, dig up later, that sort of thing).

Now I'm no longer a believer in the supernatural, but when I plant a seed, and a plant grows from it, well it's as good as a miracle to me. I've never tried herbs, but what you're doing sounds very interesting.

ig

• blondie
    blondie
    I grow my herbs in pots. Herbs tend to be invasive. I can move them around too to get the best sunlight during the day. Herbs are perennials so you don't need to replant them every year and you can divide and share with neighbors and friends. I grew lavendar last year and I use it to make the sheets smell nice. Blondie
  • ballistic
    ballistic

I'm into gardening big time. I love that kind of thing, But it makes me seem older than I am, I can't find a girl friend who is into such things.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I love gardening. what kind of veggies are you planting this year? any berries?

• Purza
    Purza

I love gardening. We have tomatoes, zucchini, strawberries, basil, rosemary, chives, oregano and some peppers (jalepeno and red bell peppers). We also have five fruit trees (apricot, peach, nectarine orange & apple). Oh yeah and we planted blueberries, thornless blackberries and table grapes this year. We are trying to get the grapes to grow up an arbor we built.

We only started gardening 2 years ago and still experiment with different veggies. I will be planting pumpkins in June (and only two plants). Last year the pumpkins went wild and took over half my yard (I had planted 8 plants LOL).

Herbs tend to be invasive.

So true -- DONT PLANT MINT!!! You will never get rid of out.

Purza

• Banshee
    Banshee

Thanks, everyone, for your replies!

iggy_the_fish: I know what you mean about what a miracle it is to see lovely plants coming from those little seeds! A few days ago, my husband and I were marvelling over that same thing.

blondie: Thanks for the tips on the herbs. I'll keep that in mind.

ballistic: I don't think that loving gardening is an "old people" thing. After all, I am only 30 years old. And my brother, who is just a few yrs. older than me, loves gardening, too. Don't worry, some female will come along who appreciates your agricultural tendencies!

jenniebeanz: I am putting in lettuce, tomatoes, snow peas, broccoli, red cabbage, mustard greens, collards, onions, carrots, green beans, wax beans and I can't remember what all else. Right now, I am focused on mainly the early crops. In a few weeks, I will be getting the transplants started for the later crops. I also already have a good garlic patch & a good asparagus patch going. I haven't got any berries this year. Next year, I think I will put in raspberries & blueberries, since they seem to do very well in this growing zone.

Purza: It sounds like you are into the gardening in a major way, also! Sounds like lots of yummy stuff. I hear you about stuff taking over. We had two tomato plants that reached monstrous proportions last year. Choked out my green peppers. Tomato plants are going into buckets this year! Good luck with the grape arbor. We are waiting on fruit trees and grapes until we purchase a larger property. Right now we are looking at land for sale & hoping to get 10 to 20 acre parcel so that we will have more room to pursue our gardening ambitions.

Thanks again for all of the replies...nice to know that there are other people around who "dig" gardening!

• fairchild
    fairchild

Gardening, oh boy.. I have a commercial garden and sell organic vegetables and herbs. I've had my garden for 10 years now and have expanded quite a bit during this time. I started selling veggies on the side of the road two summers ago. I put stuff in y stand every morning, people buy and leave money in a bucket. It works very well. Just this week, I got a call from an organic farmer's market about 20 miles north of here. They wanted to know if I'd be interested in providing vegetables and herbs to them. Now I might have to expand the garden even more.

As one of the above posters mentioned, DO NOT PLANT MINT. I didn't believe that when someone told me this a few years ago, and planted mint in the garden, thinking I would be able to keep it under control. HAHAHAHAHAHA. I should have listened.

I grow just about every vegetable you can think of, and also have black raspberry bushes, strawberries and a bunch of other berries. I planted asparagus from seed, it took about 4 years to my first harvest, and now I have plenty every year.

Here are a few general gardening tips.

Do not weed when the ground is wet, especially around your beans. If you plant cucumbers, put tomato cages over them and let the plants grow along the tomato cages. You will have a better yield and you will save lots of room. For plants such as peppers, tomato plants, any kind of cabbage, cucumbers, squash, etc.. when the plants are still little, take 1 gallon mayonnaise jars or 1 gallon milk jars, cut the bottoms out and put them over the plants. (also cut the tops off the milk jars). This will discourage bugs from eating the plants and they will grow a lot faster. It also protects the plants from the occasional late frost. Build a trellis for peas, the yield will be better. When harvesting peas, cut them off, don't pull them off. It encourages the plants to keep producing. Unless you live in a very dry area, NEVER water your plants. Their roots will go deeper in the ground to get water and the plants will be stronger. A good storm won't hurt them at all. It you want to keep birds away, hang pie tins on your fence, it is more effective than scarecrows. Especially in the beginning of the growing season, I actually go in the garden after each heavy rain to pick up the slugs and throw them out of the garden. Slugs can do a lot of damage to your young plants, and just picking them up is more effective than anything else. To keep moles away, cut the bottom out of plactic water bottles and put them in the ground upside down. (the cut out bottom showing). This creates a noise when the wind blows and it scares the moles. It really works. I have never had a mole in my garden and they are numerous up here. Always rotate. Don't plant the same item in the same spot every year. Certain veggies take certain nutrients out of the ground. Especially cabbages should never be planted in the same spot 2 years in a row.

Well, I hope you will enjoy the garden as much as I do.

Better go to bed now, it's getting late.

Cheers

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I love gardening, but ironically not vegetables and herbs. I'm into flowers and shrubs. I grow them for the beauty and it's so relaxing to take care of them. As to the veggies and herbs, all I can say is, thank God for supermarkets.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit