Are things really that bad?

by gringojj 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gringojj
    gringojj

I was just reading a post from someone and it said that the world is a paradise now, we just have to accept it. It made me think, the jws are always saying how bad things are now and that they are just getting worse. So im wondering, are things really that bad? I am trying to think of things on a worldwide scale that show that things are better than they used to be. Medical research has made it possible for millions of people to live longer than they would have even 100 yrs ago. We live in a world where nations with power will free oppressed people(arguably with political agendas as well, but does that change the fact that they are now free?). In the event of a disaster, there is always and outpouring of support to help victims. Can anyone give some more examples of how things are better now worldwide?

• Soledad
    Soledad

as a woman I have choices available to me now that were not available 100 years ago. I can have an education, a career, own a home all by myself, vote, choose who I want to marry, choose whether or not to have children, run a business........it goes on

• Daunt
    Daunt

Me personally no. The news and different other outlits just concentrate on what is bad. If they didn't people wouldn't even think things were that bad. They would notice the good things a lot more and live better lives. But of course we like the news so much.

• Ellie
    Ellie

In the olden days if you were unemployed you starved, unless you stole but then you were either slung in a filthy rotten jail or shipped out to Oz.

I'm unemployed, now all I do is nip to the bank once or twice a week and draw out the money the government kindly give me, I don't have to worry about rent because they pay that too and if I'm sick I just go along to the doctors surgery or hospital and they make me better, all free of charge.

Children are educated and there is good sanitation.

Ok, in some countries its not so easy for people but atleast on the whole, the world population is much better off than it was say 150 years ago.

Its just my own personal opinion but I think the world is a much better place now!

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

The world is neither more violent or more corrupt than in previous centuries, but it is easier for information about abuses to "leak out", so we hear about these things much more than our ancestors would have heard. For a good idea of what 19th century city life was like, see "Gangs of New York", hardly a golden age.

• garybuss
    garybuss

The health and wealth miniseries like the Watch Tower Publishing group need things to seem bad so people perceive a need for improvement. The doom and gloomers tell people that there can't be any solutions in "this" life so they don't try. All doom and gloom groups have to identify the problem and then sell the idea that they alone possess the solution. The solution always comes with a cost. Look for the cost. It's there.

The reality is, there is only "this" life and the planet is just fine and planet earth is a perfect place for humans to live. Doom and gloom groups like the Watch Tower Printing Corporation rely on commercial media for their reports about (other) governments and economics.

Commercial media is an advertising business. Their strategy is to sensationalize the news to attract viewers and to sell soap and lawn mowers.

The reality is there is SO much GOOD news it isn't worth reporting. Turn off the tv and radio for a week and look around at your world. This is the real world. People make trips safely, thousands and thousands of them. People are getting food and entertainment and medical care. Children laugh and play, the mail get's delivered, sixty million lawn mowers started on the first pull.

Yesterday there were 60,000 vehicles on interstate 29 between Sioux Falls and Sioux City and they all made the passage without one accident. Same thing happened day before.

The people who find bad news are looking for it.

• acadian
    acadian

Man, for a minute I thought I was in ...

Now let's hear some views from our friends in countries not so fortunate ...

Let's see what their paradise is like?

• robhic
    robhic

"The reality is there is SO much GOOD news it isn't worth reporting."

Gary Buss hit the nail on the head. Bad news sells! Good news is good but not as hypnotically attention-riveting as the bad. We're glad the baby is outta the well but it doesn't stay with us as long as the story about the baby being murdered by the escaped pedophile.

Kids doing good (and somewhat unexpectedly) things is a "feel good" moment but look how long coverage of the devastation of the tsunami lasted! And who could look away? Like the saying about the trainwreck that was so horrible but not being able to look away...

Good news is everywhere if you care to look. "IF" being the operative word.

Robert

• gringojj
    gringojj

Yes there are still parts of the world where things are not all great. But remember how much bigger todays world is in comparison to 1 or 2 thousand years ago. The Americas werent even discovered by the eastern world yet. I think if someone could calculate how bad things were per capita say 1000 years ago, compared to today, as a whole people live a whole let better than they used to. The chances for a child born today even in a 3rd world country where things are the worst are still probably better than they were in years past. Im just guessing and i dont have any exact figures soi welcoe anyone to give me thier thoughts on this.

• talesin
    talesin

I don't think things are any paradise nowadays. They sure aren't worse, though. Just different, that's all.

As for powerful countries 'freeing' others ,,,, hahahahahahahahaha!!!

Trading one warlord for another is nothing new, it's just being done 21st century-style with television and spin doctors included. Come on, get real!

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit