The purpose driven life?

by MelbaToast 11 Replies latest jw friends

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

Ok, just wanting to vent here for a minute....

for all that don't know me very well, I have been dfd for about 8 years now and am just starting to figure out where I want to be as far as from a religious standpoint.

Now, I have started to delve back into research to mitigate the bible and early protestant v. catholics. Its pretty interesting, but I havent really set foot in any different churches for a while. Once in a while, we go down the street to my hubbys church where he grew up. Its a nice ceremony, but one I cant really get into. But, I digress, thats not really what this post is about...I had a conversation with my best friend that has left me quite unnerved.

Although In the past, she has been a somewhat religious person, not going to church too much, but more in her actions and words, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but lately her beliefs have taken the form of shoving it in everyones face. It is a disgusting thing to see again, one I would much rather not see. She calls it an "awakening".....I call it silly.

She has been reading chapters out of "The Purpose Driven Life", an inspirational book, the same one a few weeks ago, a teller at a bank talked down a hostage with. Although I dont doubt the effectiveness of the message for people, I do question her pattern of thinking. We had a conversation yesterday dealing with a situation with her husband.

Basically, he didn't want to read the book, and went to sleep when she wanted to study. She was VERY mad at him and was venting to me. Heres how it went down:

Her: "You know it really made me mad when he just ignored what God has put out for him. I tell ya, Melbatoast, it is getting to the point with him that I am afraid for his eternal life. Im afraid that he will end up one place and I the other

Me: Well, you know that decision is not yours to make.

Her: I know but I want to help him along......the bible says faith with out works.........

Me: Having a relationship with god is a very personal thing, some would rather not discuss it, like me. I am a very spiritual person, but I dont go to church. Hell, I havent even decided what I believe yet.....maybe Hubby X just wants to decide for himself what is true and right....

Her: Well, for you....you are just finding HimFor Hubby X, he has been raised Methodist, and all of his family are church abiding people.....you know I was reading about Paul, he said that anyone that doesnt have the right heart, we shouldnt even be ASSOCIATING WITH THEM!.

Me (Getting madder): You know that scripture is the one my mother quotes to me to shun me and my family. Are you saying that you cant be with Hubby X if he doesnt believe like you do?

Her: Well, if it comes down to going fishing on a sunday, or going to church with me...he's going to have to make a decision...and I just hopes he make the right one.

Me: Well I do too (Thinks if he's smart, he'll still go fishing )

Our conversation was cut short, my baby had grabbed a glass.....so I exited stage right and said I had to go....I didn't know what else to do. Her ignorance to other people beliefs irritated me...and this is a new part of her personality....she has started this hardcore Xtian take, and I dont know if I like it at all. I don't know what to tell her the next time I speak with her....should I tell her quit trying to push her "Purpose Driven LIfe" Book and come back to reality.....or just stick through it?

Oh, I also have failed to mention she is bipolar and not on her meds....I keep thinking this is just a manic episode.....Any advice?

• kls
    kls

Hi Melba, let her husband deal with his part and as for you ,tell her you don't want to hear her religious ramblings and you would prefer to talk of something else. If she continues ,i would give her the fade.

People like that i don't need to deal with nor will i.

She maybe bipolar and not taking her meds and others having to suffer is just wrong.

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

The only problem with that is she has been a good friend ot me, she was even with me in the delivery room with me and my husband. She has always been there for me, yet I feel like this is a different person than my best friend, it was really weird.

• kls
    kls

Melba , my husband was also my best friend till he became a jw ,he became a totally different person. Have you tried talking to her ? Maybe she can't see what she is doing and how she is driving others away.

Just a thought.

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

Thats what I told my hubby last night.....I want to talk to her, but I cant without getting mad. I need some advice on how to confront her with this behavior.....and how destructive it can be

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I would quote 1Pet.3:15 to her (the WHOLE verse) and tell her to stop pushing her opinion on people, be it her husband, you, or anyone else, for that matter.

It ticks me off no end when people go off the deep end, especially when the majority of Christianity isn't like that. It's the prominant cases that stick out in the mind, so all they do is bring reproach on anyone or anything with the title "Christian" in it .

• LMS-Chef
    LMS-Chef

Speaking from personal experience having unmedicated bipolar and a Bible, get her on her meds. I was crazy until my doc and I found the right meds. Saying the same things she does. In the mean time tell her not to judge others. THat is Gods job not your, use the scripture that says that. Hopefully that will tone her down a bit until you can get the med thing taken care of.

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

The meds, unfortunatyely are not in my control. I have talked to her about them, she doesnt feel like they were working (Of course) and refuses to talk to her doctor about it. I am afraid the fundie is coming out and that is a direct problem of why she feel like an "us against them".

I hope to god no JW's come to her door.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

"I don't know what to tell her the next time I speak with her....should I tell her quit trying to push her "Purpose Driven LIfe" Book and come back to reality.....or just stick through it?"

You could get a copy of "Grace Awakening" by Charles Swindoll and suggest she read that. It emphasises the differences between legalism and grace, and how a few legalistic Christians are turning lots of folks away from Christianity altogether.It might be a remedy for being too angry to discuss the issue:)

• LMS-Chef
    LMS-Chef

The meds are the most important right now. my family had to take drastic measures with me. I actually had a policeman take me handcuffs and all to the Hospital. I am not recomending that by anymeans but that is how hard it can be. I sure hope it goes better. I really don't know how to help you or her. All I can say again is keep trying to get her to take her meds. Talk to her husband, maybe he can do something about it. I don't know how long she has been on the meds. It took a good month for mine to start working, and that was after I tried 3 or 4 different ones. The person really has to be convinced that he/she has a problem and needs help. It is really the only way to get her to take her meds or get her to try and find the right one. I wish you the best of luck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit