spiritualism

by Ellie 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Ellie
    Ellie

Can I just ask, has anyone ever had any bad experience after buying anything from a spiritualist type shop?

I ask because today I walked past a shop in my town that sells crystals and things and they do tarrot and that kind of thing, I picked up enough courage to go in to have a look and I saw this lovely fairy candle holder, I really liked it but I am a bit afraid to buy it as I guess I've had it drummed in to me that those things are channels for demons.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Ellie,

Welcome to the board! I had those same fears when I left the org. It took a long time for me to lose it. I seemed to find ways where the demons were "getting" me through whatever trinket I'd bought. I finally realized, it was all in my perspective. If it rained that night, it was the demons. If I stubbed my toe, it was the demons. If I heard a noise in the middle of the night, it must be the demons. Ridiculous really when you think of it. The fear was truly like a set of shackles around my heart and mind. I was fearful of everything and was quick to blame it on anything other than me just being fearful. Eventually, I learned to be more cognitive about it instead of emotional. (And I still have my moments!)

Andi

• kls
    kls

Ellie, the only that has demons in it is the org trying to scare it's flock into submission. I have been out of the cult for over 20 yrs and was terrified to vote,but last year i did it and it was great. To beat the org you have show yourself that they are lyers ,so go buy it and enjoy it and then you are one step closer to beat their control.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Welcome Ellie!

Would you wish to have the deemunz expelled for an extra $20 (Visa card welcome)?

• Rod P
    Rod P

Ellie,

Long after I left JWs I still had those odd spiritual "hiccups". That damn devil was in everything.

Let me share with you my cure. In the city where I resided (Vancouver, British Columbia), there was this neat bookstore, called "Banyen Books". The name "Banyen" represented the banyen tree, which was the tree where Siddhartha sat under and meditated and became the Buddha (Enlightened One).

This bookstore had a reputation that far exceeded it's local influence, for they did mail order, and people came here from all over the province and beyond. When people came to town, it was a special event to visit Banyen Books. Around the store, in various nooks and crannies, were little cushioned seats, where you could find a good book or two, and just sit there and read to your heart's content. In the background you could hear very tranquil music, coming from the ceiling speakers. The peace and serenity kind of washed over you like a shower, and people who came therein would soak this atmosphere up like a sponge. You knew you were in a spiritual place.

On the bookshelves were books on every kind of subject, from all the different religions around the world, both ancient and modern. It included books on every conceivable metaphysical topic, as well as herbal medicine, natural diet and cooking, organic gardening, homesteading, vegetarianism. There also were all kinds of books on faeries and elves and gnomes and angels, as well as cards and artwork that were out of this world. There were many book titles dealing with topics the WBTS preached against.

Towards the front of the store there were all kinds of beautiful crystals dangling from nylon strings, and they could be "moved" and made to bump into each other, and you would hear their gentle tinkling, while the smell of incense wafted thru the air. There was a total atmosphere of peace, and it was beautiful.

Whenever I was feeling internally conflicted, or just plain down, I used to go there to get my "batteries charged", and would leave feeling totally rejuvenated. I loved that place, and the whole notion of the devil and demonism seemed so totally ridiculous and far removed from reality. I knew then, from my own personal experience, that the Watchtower propaganda was exactly that- propaganda. What I had to understand was, I had been brainwashed and programmed about this Satan thing, and now it was time to become "de-programmed". This was the Cure, and I have never looked back since. No regrets and no fears, and no Devil. That was over 30 years ago.

Ellie, you have nothing to fear but fear itself!

All the best in your spiritual quest and your future of discovery that awaits you. You won't be disappointed, and you can leave that Ol' Devil in the garbage pail where he belongs.

Rod P.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Rod

Well, if i'm ever in vancouver...

Ellie

When i am downtown, i usually drop by the witch's store. They also have books, incense, swords, new age stuff, and they have a tarot reader in at certain hours. I have bought a lot of incense there, and a few books. I usually ask them if anything of a cutltural nature is happening. I went to one of those spiritualist type expositions. It's just fun stuff. It's no more demonised than a jw group picnic. But then, since i'm demonised, i wouldn't be able to tell, would i?

S

• FMZ
    FMZ

Ellie, wondering if you live in Devon perhaps?

There is nothing to be scared of. Although I believe that demons exist, they don't hang around trinket stores waiting for people to possess. I attended a spiritualist church for a while, I do the tarot, I cast runes, I have had contact with spirits... and not once has there been anything to be scared of.

It's all good :)

FMZ

• devinsmom
    devinsmom

Nope, nothing to be worried about, imo. I have met nothing but wonderful, un demonic/satanic people associated with those kinds of stores and beliefs. It is an untrue steretype that people who have pagan beliefs (most pagans anyway) are into satanism, therefore no worries about any items being demonised. Black magic though I would be careful of, most people practicing witchcraft are practicing white magic and their practices have become widely mistunderstood and are NOT evil or satanic in any way. This has been my experience anyway.

-April

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

hi ellie! welcome! i know what u'r feeling. (((((ellie)))))

my entire time growing up i had a crippling fear of demons overtaking me everywhere i turned. i even had terrifying dreams of objects in my house being demonized. what finally brough all this to a head was when i was about 14 and going through a very hard time. my parents were in the middle of a rock'em sock'em divorce, and i was going through puberty. for comfort, i turned to the growing trend among young teenage girls, self mutilation. when my mom found out, she completely freaked and took me directly to the elders. so they began their bible thumping and what not, saying that i was clearly possesed by many demons and that i needed to be spiritually cleansed. so they put me on a spiritual detox system which of course did zilch to help my problem. nobody offered a listening ear or comforting support. it wasn't until my father finally decided that he was tired of the b.s. that he took my to a psychologist ((((shane ph.d)))) it was there that shane and i uncovered years of hurt and shame that was caused mainly by the jdubs and my erratic mother.

now i am living with my boyfriend who is a major fan of Slayer, Deicide, Korn, Manson and all those lovely so called demonized bands. he has a 15 inch Hellraiser figurine on the mantle along with many Hellboy action figures and a Slayer flag with an upside down pentagram on it. I have fairies lining the stereo in our room, a tshirt with 666 Beelzebub on it, and 2 fairy shirts.....needless to say my dear, nothing paranormal has ever happened, and i have never slept as soundly or been at as much peace as i am now.

don't let THEIR fears cripple YOU!

luv, kitty

• Sirona
    Sirona

I am a practising pagan (Wiccan or Witch) and I do believe in the existence of spirits, however, these entities have better things to do than "possess" a fairy trinket. I don't actually believe in demons (or Satan).

The only time an item has any "energy" attached to it of a strange nature is when the item has been used in a witchcraft type working. Even in that case, if the working was positive then there is nothing to worry about.

If you're still worried, say a prayer with the item in your hands and ask God to cleanse it of any negative energies. After all, God can conquer demons anyway can't (s)he?

Sirona

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit