Super Soakers, Rock Em Sock Em Robots, And Other Innocent Childrens Toys

by ColdRedRain 23 Replies latest jw friends

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Today, I was looking for a Super Soaker on ebay. My ex girlfriend stole the other one, and I was looking to replace it.

It made me think about the time I was a kid. I wanted one so bad, and at that time it was condemned. There was even a picture in the WT magazine featuring a child with a sinister look on his face holding a Super Soaker like it was a real gun. Only somebody who's paranoid and militant would ever consider a brightly colored child's toy a weapon simulation.

Naturally, my parents said no. I had to wait until I was 16 years old to buy my first SuperSoaker, and even then, I was getting councelled idiotically badgered by some concerned parents people who should have never reproduced about how my water gun was a bad influence on their children.

Also, I had X-Men action figures, considered a no no because of violence and a support of the theory of evolution (If anybody can prove Darwinism wrong, it's the Jehovah's Witnesses. They buck the rules of survival of the fittest.)

And last but not least, I was condemned for having Rock Em Sock Em robots as a toy in my adult years.

What stories do you have of condemned toys as a child, and what childhood toys were considered contraban that you own now as an adult?

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

We couldn't have anything that even looked like a gun. No snap guns, no water guns.

No candy cigarettes either.

But the strangest thing was no Kewpie Dolls. I was told because they have little wings on their backs, and were idols of angels....

• vitty
    vitty

We always bought our kids super soakers, some tried to council us we told them to mind their own.

After a few years ALL the kids had one. Its too ridiculous and sometimes you just have to do what you want, its amazing how many other will follow if they see you getting away with it.

The best thing to do is have a water fight, when there are elders present, they cant resist it. Then they cant say how evil it was after. Thats what we did.

Also action man (as long as he was a diver or something)

• Ellie
    Ellie

My mum got told off for letting my brother play with toy soldiers and was told not to buy me any more flower fairies.

My dad used to like making things though and I remember him making my brother a toy gun out of some wood, he was a ministerial servant.

Theres a kids tv programme in England called Grange Hill, its about a school, we were banned from watching it.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

When Fred Franz died, my mother tried to take away my Fred Franz action figure, since it was unscriptural for him to continue to walk the earth after death :)

But seriously, I can't remember any toys (besides toy guns) that were taken away from me when I was a kid.

However, my mother always enjoyed a good water fight. Unfortunately, I never got a super soaker, but I played with the neighbor's. There was never a problem.

We invited two JW kids over for a water fight once. Just as it was starting to get fun, I splashed the younger kid, and he started bawling his eyes out. I swear, those kids were such wimps. I hated playing with them. The water fight was over.

• unique1
    unique1

I know a kid who burned all of his Pokemon cards because a CO said that stood for Pocket Monster and they were demonic. His whole family gathered round while his older brother threw his cards in too. Then the mother burned the 3 year old's little girls favorite toy a Stuffed Picachu in to the fire in front of her. She cried for weeks. That family is insane. That was one of the first things that made my husband leave.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

Back in the day, I think my family was the first on the block to get a Nintendo game system when they were hot and flying off the shelves. The kids loved the games to death and used to come over and have tournaments.

One day the two old never married no kid having ninnies my wife used to study with came over and caught the kids playing the Legend of Zelda, a game where it's essential that you use magic potions and spells to advance. Well, I guess they tore her ass up one side and down the other about that because afterwards she forbad the kids from playing that game which btw was hugely popular at the time. In my anger I boxed the whole system up and threatened to return it, but I relented, reasoning that just because she was being a total JW ass about it, there was no reason why I had to be. Her forbidding the kids to play it lasted all of about two weeks.....just about the same timeframe as all of the other jw interpretive nonsense those pioneers convinced her was so important at the time.

It was the same thing with a zodiac plaque I had at the time, my extensive collection of horror novels, pound puppis, cabbage patch dolls..........

Anyone remember when they were all up in arms about the old Proctor and Gamble logo?

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

They are TOYS dammit

Sorry... I will return to my normal program now

~Hill

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

My mom wouldn't let me have a Ken doll because she didn't want me to play "dating" with Barbie. Maybe she was afraid there would be hot plastic sex in the toy box at night.

Nina

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Nina...........your momma was plain silly. Everyone knows Ken is well, light in the loafers. You could leave Barbie with him, alone, for days and the worst that would happen would be a new hair-do.

Now GI Joe..... thats a randy bastard!

BWWWHHHAAAAAAA

~Hill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit