any mechanics??? PLEASE HELP!!

by doogie 19 Replies latest jw friends

• doogie
    doogie
    I bought a set of books from helm for my beast. They cost a few hundred, but they seem to have everything

i'd probably do that too if i cared one bit about my hunk of crap. i keep it running but that's about it. i actually can't wait until it completely dies and i can get something else. perhaps a 98 cavalier.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Those position sensors are really just "Big Brother" trying to control every aspect of your engine's life. Let those crankshafts and camshafts just "be" where ever they find themselves. There is no need to know the exact position of a camshaft, and really, is that even possible given what we know about physics? If your engine runs well, enjoy. If it runs poorly or not at all, silently watch your emotions, and it's thoughts, and do not judge your engine.... for it is you! And you are it, and we are all part of a giant machine of life.

Hope this helps, but I have a feeling you aren't frickin' enlightened enough to use it, grasspuppy. Damn kids *grumbles*

• Satanus
    Satanus
    perhaps a 98 cavalier

Why not try for a bigger jump, like 2000? Good thing there are lots of caveliers and they are cheap.

S

Laughs at guru sri sri automasterramapithicusbambazambakrishnamurtipetersellersthepartynimbus six .

• doogie
    doogie
    Those position sensors are really just "Big Brother" trying to control every aspect of your engine's life. Let those crankshafts and camshafts just "be" where ever they find themselves. There is no need to know the exact position of a camshaft, and really, is that even possible given what we know about physics? If your engine runs well, enjoy. If it runs poorly or not at all, silently watch your emotions, and it's thoughts, and do not judge your engine.... for it is you! And you are it, and we are all part of a giant machine of life.

lol. i'm gonna print this and just hand it to the officer when he stops me for my expired inspection sticker.

Why not try for a bigger jump, like 2000?

whoa, whoa, whoa...slow down. let's not get crazy...

hey, maybe i'll get one of those new aveo's. nothings cooler than an aveo.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Doogie, the first thing you need to do is get a repair manual for your specific vehicle. Auto Zone sells them for around $15.00 a pop.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    nothings cooler than an aveo.

You could get one of those boxy Scion's! The car that's so plain, they actually advertise it as a car you need to "trick out".

The only tricking out my car ever gets is its bi-annual car wash...

Dave

• doogie
    doogie
    The only tricking out my car ever gets is its bi-annual car wash...

i hear ya. otherwise known as "a thunderstorm."

• prophecor
    prophecor

You'll probably need to disconnect a few things before you can get to those sensors. When guys at Auto Zone tell you you should be able to replace the sensors, they probably automatically assume they're talking to someone who's at least a home mechanic. If you've not had any experience with working on your personal vehicle, or any other vehicle for that matter, the repair manuals are the base where you should begin your work.

Working on cars requires that you have, maybe, a little better than the average tool set. They can be pesky critters, but if you get the manuals, get a basic understanding of what your working on, what the different systems do, where these parts and sensors are located, you'll find that auto repair is not as complex as many think it is.

I do much of the work on my own car now, though I went to community college to learn auto tech, some of the information in the school books are the same as what's in many a repair manual.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Prophecor has the right idea. They're called "Chilton's" manuals. Libraries often carry them, too.

I bought my first one when I bought my first bug (72 super beetle, not new but) and couldn't find out how to drain my oil pan ... I was looking for a bolt, and the SB had a 4" access port. Silly me! I've taken my vehicles to JiffyLube since (1982) because I can no longer stand the warm, sludgy oil running down my arms into my armpits.

Doogie, good luck and Cawd bless... erm, in this case, Chilton's bless.

Brenda

• doogie
    doogie

thanks prophecor

Working on cars requires that you have, maybe, a little better than the average tool set. They can be pesky critters, but if you get the manuals, get a basic understanding of what your working on, what the different systems do, where these parts and sensors are located, you'll find that auto repair is not as complex as many think it is.

i have (or at least have access to) a fairly good variety of tools. as far as understanding what the heck i'm working on, what it does, etc...umm...not so much.

i think i made it pretty obvious to the dude at AZ that i knew next to nothing about car repair. (he asked me to pop the hood and i just stared blankly and said "...hood?...pop?...")

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit