any mechanics??? PLEASE HELP!!

by doogie 19 Replies latest jw friends

• doogie
    doogie

ok, i have a 1997 chevy cavalier and i need to replace my crankshaft and camshaft position sensors. i bought them last night at autozone and the guy said that i could definitely replace them myself. does anyone have any tips??? for instance, where are the stupid sensors???

i've searched high and low on google and believe it or not, apparently no one knows where these stinkin things are. if anyone can give me ANY advice (i'm not picky) i'd REALLY appreciate it. thanks

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Here's a site that says where the camshaft sensor is on a '91, maybe it hasn't moved?

http://www.faqfarm.com/Q/Where_is_the_camshaft_sensor_in_a_91_Chevy_Cavalier

On the firewall side of the engine block, near the transmission bellhousing, under the intake manifold

Now if only I knew what a firewall, bellhousing, and intake manifold were...

Dave

• doogie
    doogie

yeah, i thought a firewall was something completely different. unfortunately, they changed everything up in 95.

oh, and this is a 2.2L. which stinks too, because on the 2.4 the sensors i'm looking for are just sitting there (mocking me) right on top of the engine.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

It's hard to read, but it says "2" is the cam shaft sensor. (From autozone.com)

Dave

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

There's no picture for the crankshaft sensor, but it says "UNDER HOOD, CENTER, FRONT ENGINE AREA, BASE OF INTAKE
    MANIFOLD, MOUNTED IN FRONT SIDE OF ENGINE BLOCK"

Hope it helps!

Dave

• doogie
    doogie

yeah, see that's what i mean. i saw that too and i thought, "well, duh. how could i have missed that?" but unfortunately, the engine is completely different for my little 2.2.

thanks for the help though dave. i'm ready to just start combing every inch of my engine with a fine toothed comb, but with my luck, i'll end up replacing something else that only looks like the sensors. grrrrr...

• doogie
    doogie
    "UNDER HOOD, CENTER, FRONT ENGINE AREA, BASE OF INTAKE
    MANIFOLD, MOUNTED IN FRONT SIDE OF ENGINE BLOCK"

i didn't see that though. who knows, that might be the ticket. i know that's where my oxygen sensor is. it's worth a shot. thanks!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Sorry, dude! I misread your post to mean you HAD the 2.4.

Here's the info for the 2.2:

On your 1997 CHEVROLET CAVALIER, the CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR is:
    UNDER HOOD, CENTER, FRONT ENGINE AREA, BASE OF INTAKE MANIFOLD, MOUNTED IN FRONT SIDE OF ENGINE BLOCK

On your 1997 CHEVROLET CAVALIER, the CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR is:
    UNDER HOOD, RIGHT HAND SIDE FRONT OF ENGINE

Here's the picture of the 2.2, from the same page I got the 2.4 pic, but it doesn't mention your stuff. Hopefully the text helps some.

(I had the baby last night, she slept for ONE HOUR, and cried/squirmed/fussed the rest of the night. Ugh, I think *my* camshaft sensor might need replaced...)

Dave

• doogie
    doogie

that's perfect! thanks again dave! if i can't find them now...well, i probably shouldn't even be driving a car, much less working on it.

as far as your baby problem goes...my mom used to give us brandy. (maybe that's why i can't find the sensors...)

• Satanus
    Satanus

No wonder you can't find it. They put that engine in the wrong way. The first thing you need to do is swing that sucker around 90 degrees so it faces forward and then rebolt. After that, everything will become clear.

Kidding, obviously. I bought a set of books from helm for my beast. They cost a few hundred, but they seem to have everything.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit