The 1000 Year Stupid Doctrine

by Nosferatu 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Interesting that fundamentalists understand certain chosen parts of visions / dreams to be literally prophetic.

I don't know why that never bothered me as a JW. This is literal, that is figurative. "Ok, yeah, that makes sense!"

Sometimes I wonder what other crap I'm believing on a similarly stupid basis.

Dave

• Sirona
    Sirona

LOL @ Ezekiel

And throughout all of this, Satan is having a really good time! He gets to PARTY for centuries before armageddon. Then he is "bound" but with all of his demon friends and can look forward to being released again. After his release, he parties again, before being destroyed (and that isn't that bad is it?)

He gets a better deal that us humans.

Sirona

• TheListener
    TheListener

Ezekiel, that was funny.Don't worry that's just me crying about how I actually believed it all.

• Liberty
    Liberty

When reason and logic are applied to these idiotic Watchtower interpretations their reality evaporates like alcohol on a hot day. Jehoover's ability to "read hearts" or generally to be omniscient is apparently greatly flawed since so many potential naughty folk make it through His screening process. This applies to the 144,000 as well... why do so many who were hand picked by the big "J" go bad and have to be replaced?

I have always found it interesting that super beings like angels who would be smarter than humans and actually have direct contact with and first hand knowledge of Ol' Jehoover Himself, had so many of their numbers risk a rebellion against Him. Obviously there was some chance of winning, otherwise it would have been stupid for them to attempt a rebellion, hence Jehoover is not omnipotent either. It is also great evidence that Jehoover must not be such a nice guy since those who know Him best decided that they didn't like Him pushing them around anymore. How can humans stand a chance of loving such a god since we aren't even sure He exists because there is no direct evidence or knowledge about Him? If the super smart spirit beings He worked with and saw on a dailey basis can't stand Him how are we humans supposed to subject ourselves to His authority?

The whole Devil/demon concept really shows how illogical the Watchtower Universe would be if it were true. If there were any reality to the Watchtower view the Universe would be so irrational and crazy that it would be a waking nightmare and not a Paradise at all. Please destroy me so I wouldn't have to live in this insanity for all eternity.

• M.J.
    M.J.

A little historical (I mean histerical) perspective on the doctrine:

Charles Russell taught early on that the "little flock" was true believers who were the bride of Christ. They'd be transferred to heaven at the end of the "gentile times" in 1914, when all the earth's rulers are overthrown (p 101 ), clearing the way for God?s kingdom. Mankind on earth would not be destroyed, but serve in a 1000 year "probation" period with a goal of becoming perfect humans like Adam in the garden. Together with Christ, the "little flock" would be come "gods", earth's divine new rulers, serving as "redeemer" and "spirtual mother" for all generations of mankind. They'd be able to appear on earth as invisible spirits or by materializing into physical bodies.

This doctrine was taken straight from Nelson Barbour and some of the other Adventists in the early years.

Russell started linking the 144,000 with the "little flock" and later started writing that the 144,000 in heaven wouldn't ever have to come down to earth after all, because in 1914 Old Testament "ancient worthies" like Abraham, Issac and Jacob were going to be resurrected to earth as perfect humans. They'd be put in charge of mankind (p. 619, 625) and have the ability to receive orders directly from the 144,000, kinda like how perfect Adam communicated with Jehovah in the garden.

After Rutherford took over and dreamed up the "Great Multitude" to populate the earth in 1935, he implemented a harsher view of the big A. Not only will Church and Government institutions be destroyed, but no living person outside of the organization could really expect to be spared from destruction--not even their kids (Riches, Rutherford, 1936, p. 98)...In contrast, Russell had taught that just about all would live to get a chance at redemption in the new system. Kinda makes sense, why join the JWs if it really makes no difference? You'll survive the Big A anyway?

• target
    target

there can be no 1000 year because there can be no Armageddon. Jesus said you must love your enemies. Satan is his enemy. Thus, Jesus must love Satan. so Jesus cannot do nasty things to Satan. I actually read this in apostate literature over 30 years ago when I was newly studying. The seed was planted. It stayed in the back of my mind all those years.

Target

• Terry
    Terry

These doctrines swim in the dewy freshness of illogic.

1.Man is born with a tendency to sin. Why? Was it because of a sin committed in-utero? No. God just likes to hold a grudge against Adam.

2.Man can't keep a perfect law because of his imperfection. Why is man held to a perfect standard? Why is he born imperfect? Because God just likes to let a problem unravel for thousands of years. And too, God can come up with a dandy plan that helps nobody until that very last generation (who survive Armageddon) since all the rest die.

3.Because faithful men (Wait! How can they be faithful if they are sinful and imperfect??) showed their faith God will give them another chance.

4.Since man is undeserving God's justice gives him something he doesn't deserve: an opportunity. For what? For faith. But, there is a catch. Man, while in a weak, sinful and imperfect condition and while being tempted by Satan must listen to a sermon at the front door of his house and be convinced of the truth of it in order to survive!

It is far better (and more logical) to NOT preach a messege door to door. Because any failure to listen to that messege automatically condemns the listener to death at Armageddon! It is better to be oblivious. THEN, you get another chance after Armageddon because you didn't know any better.

See how silly all this is?

Whoever pieced this ___?plan?__together needed a good rest and a glass of wine.

T.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit