My JW neighbor's birthday

by bebu 23 Replies latest jw friends

• bebu
    bebu

As I was headed home the other day, it occurred to me that it was my JW neighbor's birthday. I remembered this as I realized that she would be at my home in about 20 minutes so that I could help her with something. So, I quickly stopped at a store and got her a gift, and had it gift-wrapped. I bought her a birthday card, too.

She has been dealing with some some budget problems recently, and this has been depressing her. So when she arrived she was looking very worn out. I brought the bag into the room and said, "This is for you!" And she replied, "Why?" I gave her this very wide grin and said, "Well, isn't today a SPECIAL DAY for you???..."

Well, if she had ever been a JW that frowned on birthdays, I would never have known. Her face brightened up with this huge smile and her eyes sparkled, and she blurted out, "You remembered!!" (It was a transformation!!!) She came over and gave me a hug.

So I gave her her stuff, and we did the errand together, and I got back home. Then, I started thinking about some steaks I had seen in the store lately, on a terrific sale. I called her up and asked if she was free for dinner, and would she like to come over for barbequed steak and eat on our patio? To my great surprise, she said yes! It surprised me, because it was a meeting night, and she has NEVER missed a meeting unless she is near death.

So, we had a WONDERFUL evening together. She missed her meeting, and celebrated her birthday. When she left, she gave me a long, hard hug and said, "Thank you SOOOOO much!" So I don't think she was feeling guilty!

bebu

• TheListener
    TheListener

Wow. That's a great experience. You should share that during the next field service meeting. I hope your friend doesn't have an attack of the conscience. Keep it up. Your good deeds will confuse her and hopefully lift her FOG.

Apparently FOG is my favorite thing now. I mention it about every other post.

• xjwms
    xjwms

WOW ... thats a story

FOG?

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    She missed her meeting, and celebrated her birthday.

Good for her! It's nice that you helped her realize it is a special day, and that it's ok to enjoy it.

Maybe she knew it all along but didn't have anyone around who felt the same way.

• Nellie
    Nellie

This does not surprise me one bit - there is sooo much apathy within the congregation among the friends that they are all starving for attention! My sister has been complaining for years about the fact that she doesn't feel included by the congregation. And since I didn't want to discourage her, I mostly kept my comments to myself. No one from there has really "befriended" her and her only girlfriends come from work. Last week she missed the Service Meeting (Friday) and they announced that there was going to be a cong picnic the next day. Suffice to say, no one called to tell her and she is really upset. So much so that she didn't go to the meeting last night and it's the CO's visit.

Just goes to show how much a little personal attention means to us all. Nothing like the Brotherhood at work!

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

That is an awsome story!!! Love it!!! Especially because today is my birthday, and I love to hear about JWs enjoying a little Pagandom!

• bebu
    bebu

Happy Birthday to YOU, l2bworldy!!

Looks to me like you're 1 day old!

bebu

• codeblue
    codeblue

Bebu, you are so sweet

I know this because of the many things you do for people....

Your JW neighbor is not getting any real Christian love....no wonder she is so depressed. You are an excellent neighbor and friend and I am sure she treasures you greatly.

Hmmm...missing a meeting and celebrating her birthday....sounds like she is sitting on the fence post and maybe taking a long hard look at the religion that is suppose to be showing her love, but isn't.

Who knows, maybe she will be talking to you about this issue, as we all know, we can't with other JW's or we get turned in and are branded "bad association".

hugs to you Bebu,

Codeblue

• Shania
    Shania

What a kind person you are, always thinking of others. You made her day. I love to surprise people like that, I get more joy out of it than I think they do.............keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!Your a sweetie

• Netty
    Netty

Bebu, I love your story! You are sweet, I agree with the others. Your friend is lucky to have you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit