Evolution of Man

by bavman 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• El blanko
    El blanko
    I have read in a few places that man has all but stopped evolving.

Yep - I read something similar myself in a science and technology report a few months back. If I remember correctly, scientists involved in the study were theorizing that the size of the human brain meant that it had reached its potential and was operating to it's fullest capacity, or some other junk line of reasoning.

The theory was, that the next leap in human evolution would be through the introduction of drugs and tech-implants to the human organism.

All very "Ghost in a Shell" I thought.

I believe that the vision put forth is certainly one that those pesky scientists are working towards

Expect more useless junk to clutter the earth over the next few years - including designer chip implants for the frankly insane.

Thinking about it, I have read that in certain parts of Europe chips are already being implanted for use within clubland.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Why do you think evolution isn't universal - ie it picks some specias and grows legs on them and yanks them up out of the water in a matter of a few million years but others just don't quite get it - some species just stay the same ignoring all those random mutations, living through all the same climatic , environmental pressures and just keep mosying on.

ALan - Coelencaths did reappear after being extinct for millions of years...

• Daunt
    Daunt

Qcmbr. Some of them just don't get it because they do not need to get it. They live fine with their environment and the little mutations that happens in their species never beat out the older one. If every mutation beat out it's parent we would be in a very different situation, day by day. "Recently there was found what was apparently a dwarf species of homo erectus on an Indonesian island that died out only about 14,000 years ago. More species are found every few years." National Geographic. Very good article. Dwarf people awesomeness. Ghost in the shell too cool!!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>> Why do you think evolution isn't universal -
    >> ie it picks some specias and grows legs on them
    >> and yanks them up out of the water in a matter of
    >> a few million years but others just don't quite get it

I posted this on SNG's thread the other day, it seems appropriate for your question, so I'll repeat it here:

=======
    A frog with an extra leg sticking out of his side, for instance. That creature will not survive as well as his peers, and his mutated genes will die with him. But sometimes just at random a change takes place that's a good thing. Maybe the frog's tendons attach a little higher or lower on his legs, giving him a better jumping ability to escape predators. Because he can escape when others can't, he'll survive longer. He'll have more offspring that also carry his better jumping genes. If there's any sort of pressure in his environment (lots of predators) he and his children will be the ones that survive, pretty soon taking over the population. Now they ALL have better legs, and the not-so-good legged ones have to either die off, or find a less predator-rich environment to live in. (Let's assume they moved)

(Note here that mutations occur at random, but the "good" ones are selected as keepers by virute of the fact that they are being carried by the creature most likely to survive and reproduce. Mutation is random, selection is not.)

That explains how a frog might become a better frog, but how could a frog ever become something else, something not a frog?

The trick is to realize that tiny changes add up. A frog with better legs can hop clear out of the water. While he's out, he can snap up food on the sides of the pond that other frogs can't reach. Once all the frogs can do that, the ones that can see better can be even more successful. And the ones that manage to get the ability to detect sounds will do better still. A frog that can ultimately live completely out of the water might be able to survive better still. And since he's out of the water, being covered with a fuzz would prevent him from getting sunburned. If that fuzz was thicker, he'd even survive better when it gets cold. And if the coloration on his fur made him attractive to females, he'd reproduce more.

Go back to the weaker frogs that moved away from the predators. They live in the water, they don't see well, they can't hear (for purposes of this illustration), they are furless. Compare them with the frog that has stronger hind legs, better eyes, hearing, and a fur-like coat. Is he a frog anymore? If so, how much more do we need to change before he isn't a frog?
    =========

The point is that both sets of frogs are well evolved for their environments. It's a big balancing act. Faster lions eat more gazelles, faster gazelles don't get eaten as much. The pressure is on both groups to be faster, but that has practical limits. Still, any slight edge starts to tip the balance, causing pressure, inviting a welcome mutation to set things right again.

Or not, in which case the gazelles all get eaten and it's over for the gazelle. Extinction happens.

Dave

• IronGland
    IronGland
    Why do you think evolution isn't universal - ie it picks some specias and grows legs on them and yanks them up out of the water in a matter of a few million years but others just don't quite get it

Perhaps Darwin should have come upon his idea of Natural Selection by putting stones in his tophat and then putting his face into the hat and having his wife transcribe it. Then you would see it as a revelation from God.

• Satanus
    Satanus

*Smirks at irongland*

• AlanF
    AlanF

Qcmbr said:

: Coelencaths did reappear after being extinct for millions of years...

Wrong. They were not extinct. Paleontologists merely thought they were extinct.

Is that all the response you can muster for my long post to you? If so, then there's no point in my bothering to try to educate you about things you could easily learn on your own if you'd put your mind to it.

AlanF

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

I had read that people from the Andes have larger rib cages due to breathing thin air. If this is true, wouldn't that be an example of human evolution?

• Spook
    Spook

Mutations in human DNA are still occuring. Of the billions of DNA bases, only 1 in 1000 is active in expressing a unique trait. The mapping of the human genome is basically "complete." A massive five year project is now underway to analyze the flow and dispersion of genes in the population.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yes, evolution is continuing. Mitachondrial dna has dne fragments from viruses and other organisms. Sometimes some of this dna migrates to the core dna, causing problems or improvements. That is one evolutionary process that is well documented.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit