Slacker Pioneering

by scotsman 17 Replies latest jw friends

• scotsman
    scotsman

As I was reading the thread about Not at Homes I wondered if anyone else a slacker pioneer?

There was a bunch of us in our hall that went out on a Wednesday. We usually managed about 45mins before needing a coffee which somehow extended through lunchtime, maybe interupted by a Return Visit that hopefully wasn't home. These Wednesday mornings were gradually dominated by a widower who began having us back to his for coffee and biscuits (there were one particular caramel sort that we fought over), but it got a little out of control when he started providing hot vol au vents. Sometimes the afternoon was spent at an art gallery or the cinema. I think I went to see Trainspotting one Wednesday afternoon with another pioneer. I know my report was complete fabrication, so I guess the others' were too.

Anyone else? Or were you all suckered in to seriously saving souls?

• Emma
    Emma

I tried so hard to do it "right." It became more and more difficult to fill in the time productively. I was so glad to be able to stop because I felt inadequate. Now I've mostly gotten over it, but feel cheated because I didn't go to college; I would have been very productive!

When my daughter pioneered, they totally just drove around the territory, from one end to the other, doing the odd not-at-home or return visit combinded with coffee breaks. She told me all this after our escape.

Emma

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i seriously tried to save souls.....that isnt to say that i didnt take coffee breaks..shopping breaks..visiting the sick breaks...snooker breaks (highest was 25..i was on a 147 once but i missed the first red) etc and latterly more of the etc....but i wouldn't count my time.....much...well not everyday

• luna2
    luna2

I was never a Pioneer, but I've heard stories and seen stuff. Most of the time, I'd say the Pioneers I observed were deceiving themselves as much as they were the WTS. Some would start their time by dropping off mags at a laundromat and then suddenly remember they left something at home, so they'd drive all the way home, still counting the time, to pick up whatever it was before starting return visits or something. Some would do errands while out in service and not stop their time because "Jehovah knows we need to do these things" ...which is true, but I never thought He'd think of doing your banking as service to him. LOL

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i went through about 3 months of really trying to do it right. getting up early, finishing late. actually trying to reach people. my CO had worked me into a frenzy.

then, the rest of my time as a pio(lon) was spent very similar to how you describe it. fabricating most everything and enjoying the guilt-trip free ride i was having at home (had just graduated HS).

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    We usually managed about 45mins before needing a coffee which somehow extended through lunchtime, maybe interupted by a Return Visit that hopefully wasn't home.

You sound like you were a zealous pioneer. The service overseer in my first hall would start doing "street work" at 7 AM with his wife. They would actually show up at 7:30, but they assured everyone they started their time at 7:00. We all knew better. After standing like signposts for 5 minutes they'd go into the restaurant for breakfast and stay there until 8:55. They'd stand like signposts for another 5 minutes, look at their watches and loudly proclaim, "ok, we got 2 hours", and they'd leave.

Walter

• scotsman
    scotsman

A few of us had read Coupland's Generation X and took it more seriously than the NWT.

tijkmo, why doesn't it surprise me that you took it seriously...

p.s. I noticed you quoting from Between The Lines... that's a little Kinsey 3!

• Netty
    Netty

I never was a poineer, but did auxillary pioneer once or twice. But even just in regular service,

I cheated, cheated, cheated! Did all the things described above, and outright lied about hours I spent in field service, to keep the brothers off my case.

Accoring to my very active elder father, who I just admitted this to, "oh, everybody does that!"

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

hmm...when i said seriously i didnt mean no fun...when out in fs there was not much in the way of response so had to make it enjoyable in other ways...but if i did find interest i did follow up and genuinely believed that people would benefit from what i had to say and so endeavoured to start studies and engage people in conversation

and latterly more of the etc....

would seem to keep me at kinsey 0.....despite janis ian....

• vitty
    vitty

I auxillaried with a regular, we did cheat. I felt bad at first but theres no way your can regular pioneer honestly. I dont care what you say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit