Playing games at a wedding shower - is it wrong?

by Bonnie_Clyde 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rebel8
    rebel8

That's a new one on me. Wedding showers in my old kingdumb hall were a big deal. The bride always got a box of chocolate-covered cherries (symbolizing, well, you know what) and lots of racy lingere. It was expected. No one was ever counseled for it.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Crumpet, In parts of the US we have engagement parties upon engagement and then a bridal shower closer to the actual wedding date. The bridal shower is a group of women who are invited to the wedding, getting together to honor the bride's upcoming transition into married life. The purpose is to "shower" the bride with gifts. Then a few nights before the wedding, the bride to be will go out on the town with a handful of her friends--"bachelorette party".

The bridal shower tradition originated for the purpose of giving the bride to be small household items to start her new home life. Unfortunately, in some social groups, it has morphed into something ugly. Examples: pushiness about the bride's gift preferences, inviting 100+ guests (some of whom don't even know the bride), and competition among the guests as to who spent the most. The gift opening is done during the party--everyone watches and passes the gifts around to inspect. Some showers are as big as the wedding reception itself. On those points, I have to agree with the WTS. However, to claim that it is unscriptural or immoral to have a shower is just nuts!

• simplesally
    simplesally

At my wedding shower and baby shower, the names of the gift givers were not read and we did play games. I cannot believe she was counseled for playing games!!

• Garnet
    Garnet

My Wedding shower was somewhat normal - it was my Bachelorette party that sucked.

My Maid of honor asked me what I wanted to do (inside scoop) so I could be surprised (he he he). I wanted to get all dolled up and go into town and visit a nice (read classy) jazz club and hang out with the girls. I was thinking of something nice...couple of martini's, walk around town, nothing too much, just fun!

Well, someone caught wind of our plan and ratted us out - the elders accused us of: planning to get drunk, planning to pick up men and then staying up all night (ooooo I'm bad).

So instead...we went for chinese food, I had a scorpion bowl and was in bed by 9:30 (wooo hoooo)

The bachelor party on the other hand...they got crazy drunk, went to play pool, hit on woman and were puking on the way home...they got home at 3 a.m.

They were councelled the next day for their behaviour

But we were still "bad" for wanting to go to a "night club"

I just laugh now when people ask me about it...

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Hmm Garnet

From the sound of it its a good thing the elders found out about your plans... Just think if you had gone and sinned back then, you might be visiting evil apost.. What's that? She is? Oh... well shame on you Garnet!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit