question from a NJW regarding a family JW in medical condition

by maggie221 18 Replies latest jw friends

• maggie221
    maggie221

Hello, this is my first post here and I will try and be breif. I am not a JW but have an uncle and family who is strong into their belief. My cousin (his son) is in the hospital and had a bad accident at work. His leg is mangled and had some head trama. From what I have heard he needs blood and is swelling pretty bad. I don't think he is going to make it, because they wont give him blood. My family of 10 aunts and uncles are not JW, my uncle married into the religion and all of my family are EXTREMELY close. He pretty much told all of us that we need not come to the hospital because "there was nothing that we could do." well that is bullshit. Family is family! I guess all of their JW family or whatever you call them are helping, so if we go to the hospital then would it get him into trouble? He phoned my mother (his sister) yesterday and broke down and said he really needed "his people up there" so what is that supposed to mean? I cannot believe after 33 years I have not seen anyone in my family pass away except for my grandfather and my cousin who is my age is probably not going to make it and I cannot go see him. Is there nothing that i can do?? Also, why is it that they cannot associate with other people outside their faith, why can't they receive blood?

Someone in the JW faith please tell me what I can do. Will there be a funeral for him? Will I be able to attend? I'm just really lost on this whole thing, but I want to do what is right.

Many thanks, Maggie

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

This is a tough road; contact Lee Elder immediately at www.AJWRB.org; if anyone can help you with advice it will be him.

The first question is: does your uncle have a signed No Blood card or a DPA form stating that he refuses blood?

If so, there may be nothing you can do. What does your uncle want?

Have the local elders or the witness Hospital Liaison Committee shown up?

They will fight against blood on the behalf of your uncle.

Go if you can.

We are all thinking about you.

P

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

bttt

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Consider sending this to the main section so every one can see it.

P

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Welcome to the board, Maggie221.

I'm sorry you have to come with the problem you present.

First of all, go to the hospital and be with your uncle. The JW religion tries to be family, but only real family can give support emotionally, imho.

Even if your counsin signed a "no blood card" and he is an adult, you can tell your uncle that JW's don't get disfellowshipped, kicked out, of the religion for taking blood. Unfortunately this is not the time to get into the details on what JW's allow and don't allow because it is all based on nonsense. Please see the website quoted to you, it has a lot of detailed medical information.

If the worse happens, JW's have funerals for their members and of course everyone is welcome to attend. But be forwarned that it will be a sale's pitch for their religion more than morning about the loved one.

I say do what your heart says to do for family. That is love and maybe your uncle will remember the love shown him by his family.

Hugs,

Joy

• Es
    Es

welcome maggie im so sorry bout whats happening with your family. Its all a lot of crap go and see your cousin they cant stop you nor should they. Hope it improves keep us posted es

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Maggie, please keep us posted.

If I was in your situation and I wanted to see my cousin - I WOULD! If you want to see him, maybe he wants to see you too - HE hasn't said otherwise. Would he be wondering why you haven't visited, would he know that other family are trying to keep you away?

Best Wishes. Midwich

• alw
    alw

maggie i have recorded my thoughts for you to browse on your latest post. i hope all goes well for you.

joyzabel, you said a jw cant get df for taking blood, maybe in usa, but i know personally one woman here in aussie did, maybe its up to local elders, who knows what goes on their minds!

maggie please keep us posted. mr alw

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

alw,

it is not well known among the JWs but several years ago when the european counsil was looking to the deaths of many "cult" members, they said that JWs were a cult if they allowed their followers to die instead of taking blood. So there is an official letter from the WT to the European Council stating that a JW will NOT be df'd for taking blood. Thus the WT escaped the "cult" label in eruope. But did they let the R & F know about that letter? lol, no. So technically, they are not Df'd, but they announce "they are no longer one of JW's". ( and the shunning begins)

I'm hoping someone on here will have a copy of that letter. Or maybe LeeElder on his site has it.

edited to add: http://www.ajwrb.org/basics/perjury.shtml

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The reason they don't want you there is becaude they don't want you to pressure him to have blood.

It is a strongly held religious and you do not have time to change that belief. It could take years, you don't have that.

Go and see him. Don't bang your head against a brick wall talking about blood.

He would rather die a martyr to his beliefs than live with a bad concience.

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit