Remember the not-at homes?

by Thegoodgirl 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

That obituary post reminded me of those awful weekday mornings knocking on entire neighborhoods of not-at-homes. I remember one particular neighborhood in Florida where it was one big trailer park of "snowbirds" who would move back up North for the summer. However, being the thorough JWs that we were, we would knock on every single door, leaving magazines, etc, even if the awnings were down and it was obvious no one would be livng there for months. It was one of the most depressing moments of my life, and when I think to why I left, I always, among other things, picture that humid hot day knocking on doors in that empty neighborhood. What a waste of my youthful years!!!!!

• Daunt
    Daunt

I loved not at homes even when I believed in it. Didn't have to feel guilty about disturbing somebody and giving them information that they dont believe in and then calling them wicked behind their backs. Seeing the reaction on their faces when we just made wild claims and the ignorance of the person at the door just got to me. Broke down crying once.

• Sith
    Sith

I loved Not-At-Homes also. And now I is one

• tweety
    tweety

My husband (who was never a JW) said that when the JW's would come to their door...they would hide and laugh at them.

My mother-in-law told me that she left them in one time and they wouldn't leave and they kept on talking and talking. She said that was the last time that she ever opened up the door for JW's.

Just think....all those Not a Homes were probably hiding and laughing....lol

Dee

• luna2
    luna2

I both liked and didn't like them, if that makes any sense at all. Like Daunt, I liked that I could put my time in without having to confront people with stuff that they hadn't asked for and didn't want, but on the other hand, I'd get home and feel like I'd just wasted a ton of time, energy, and gas for nothing more than making a show for the brothers and sisters.

Informal witnessing? Hey I could do that all day long if the person I was talking to was truly interested, even street witnessing wasn't so bad. Door to door service I simply never took to. I didn't enjoy it and never kept good records. It wasn't that I didn't believe at the time, I simply hated bothering people in their homes like that. I'm so very glad I no longer have to either do something I detest or wallow in guilt and bear the shame of being considered weak.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Yes... the not at homes so let's stand at this door for 5 minutes?

This was the worst part of service....trudging from house to house in 15 degree weather trying to act like you really did want someone to talk to. Would generally spend 2 or 3 hours out on a Wed. morning and only talk to maybe 2 people total. Very depressing.

• Es
    Es

Im with sith not at homes were great and even if i am home i also too have become a not at home es

• jula71
    jula71

I loved not-at-homes!!! Go there, knock, no answer, leave 2 mag's and count the placements. I must have counded hundreds like this, and yes it was legal in the WT's eyes. Just another example of inflated numbers.

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

I kept track of hot-at-homes scrupulously. I figured if I called back on the same day at the same time, they probably wouldn't be home again and I wouldn't have to talk to anyone. If there was anything that made me uncomfortable it was going door to door. One Monday evening another "brother " and I worked not-at-homes. Everyone was home, not interested, of course. Never did that again.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Not at homes were great. I was in a congregation that was mainly populated by assholes, and I felt bad about inviting normal people to come join us.

Walter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit