Yoga

by CeriseRose 14 Replies latest social physical

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

Okay I got back from the doctor yesterday, and in the past 11 months, without doing anything in particular for diet and exercise, I've lost 12 pounds. 12 POUNDS! I've been overweight my whole life and being able to "live" while losing is huge.

I joined Curves and will be doing that 3-4 times per week. I'm also removing sugar and processed foods from my diet, as much as I can. The other thing I want to try is yoga. I've never done anything like it, but want something that will allow for stretching and movement and relaxation. I have a yoga mat and an "all levels" yoga dvd to learn from...and would also like to research online/books. However, there are soooo many places/types/styles, I'm feeling very much out of my depth.

Can anyone point me to a resource, or be willing to share their experience? Much appreciated.

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Congrats CeriseRose on your loss, 12 lbs!

Haven't done the yoga thing myself yet, plan to - A word on Curves - joining there did motivate me to exercise regularly and now I've been walking for four years and feeling great.

My experience and I don't want to discourage you...... But a Caution: may have just been me,- since I'd never really done much with the upper body, arms, strength training etc. - I developed quite a serious problem with my elbow (tendinitis, tennis elbow) from using their equipment on the circuit, which all consisted of machines using your arms - too much, too soon and too fast apparently . They keep you moving very quickly from one area to the next, and each person cannot really work at their own level/pace. I ended up having to get out of my membership and took up walking and regular gym membership instead. If you can just take it a little slower and work up to it all, hopefully it'll work for you.

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

Thanks for the congrats and the Curves tips. I used to work out 5 days a week, many years ago, so I'm pretty in tune with how much my body can take, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for the repetitive strain injuries. I'm giving it a year and we'll see how it goes; Curves is really just to keep me motivated because I tend to fizzle fairly quick. I also plan to, when I move to the U.S., join the Y with my honey so we can exercise together, so I plan to give my routine a "rounding" out via that. And the yoga, if I can figure out up from down.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Most gyms have yoga classes. I used to do Hatha yoga, but the teacher I loved, moved away and I couldn't stand her replacement, so I quit going.

There is yoga on cable TV. If you have On Demand, it's there.

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

Thanks for the info...when I move to the US I'll look for the On Demand.

What is the difference between Hatha yoga and other kinds of yoga? This is the kind of thing that befuzzles me. Is it just the philosophy behind it, or the movements or ???

• annalice
    annalice

I have done Yoga , but what I found that I really like is Pilates. The gym that I went to combined yoga moves and pilates workouts on the mat. I went down one dress size in a couple off weeks and my core muscles are very strong now. I have not had to go to the chiropractor since I started the Pilates. Many off the older women in my class have reported that they have gained at least a half and inch back in height since starting . Its very good for your body and there is no hard impact on the joints. There are a lot of Videos out there offering this type of workout. I would try looking for yoga or pilates videos on Amazon.com. Then you will be able to read the reviews of others who have already tried them.

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

I wondered about pilates but didn't 'get' how it differed from yoga. Or if it did.

I think I need to hit a library.

• love11
    love11

It's called: 'AM/ PM Yoga' on dvd. It's great! And the guy that teaches the 'AM' part is hot!

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Hi Cerise,

Hatha yoga basically refers to the physical poses, other things like karma yoga or what have you refers to practices like doing good deeds, meditation and so on.

My only thought for you would be to just keep it simple and just get a good feel of the basics, I mean if you can do the sun salutations really well it'll be much better than doing a lot of different poses half way. Enjoy your body and enjoy yourself.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Hatha is the most popular. Don't do the kundalini yoga. It can mess you up. That's all of my knowledge on yoga.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit