Steven Hassan on Dr Phil today

by Dogpatch 17 Replies latest jw friends

• 4JWY
    4JWY

On my way to www.drphil.com

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention, Randy!

Was an awesome show. I felt very sorry for those two young girls, and you could just see the confusion and terror on their faces!

Apparently, there was some sort of falling out between Jeffs and another man, and he sent alot of the young boys and men out of town.

Now part of the cult has moved to a remote location near Eldorado, Texas, and have the townfolk worried about their relocation there. They informed the City Council that they were building a hunting resort there, but were soon discovered to have lied.

Some recently released audio recordings by the racist "prophet" can be heard here:

http://www.myeldorado.net/

More information on this cult:

http://www.myeldorado.net/YFZ%20Pages/YFZ052704.html

CG

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

I just saw an advertisement on Fox News channel about this story. They are going to do a follow-up on it tomorrow morning.

• Fleur
    Fleur

when Phil said his name i almost leapt out of my chair, quite an action for me these days! Show was good, was dying to see him take on what JW shunning does to the children involved.

Randy, you will always be one of my biggest heroes :)

love,

essie

• Mary
    Mary

I watched the show last night and yes there were certainly alot of similarities although I'd have to say that this wacko branch of LDS is even worse that the J-Dub-Club.......I felt like crying when one of the girls named Fawn asked "...why do they have the right to treat us like this, just because we choose to live our lives differently than them?" Sounds quite familiar.

..why the hell isn't the Federal Government doing something about this kind of crap?

I'm sick to death of leaders of religions screaming "Freedom of Religion!" every time they're insane and criminal church rules are exposed for all to see. Yes we have freedom of religion over here, but freedom MUST be coupled with responsibility and accountability for your actions. Their Rights to Freedom of Religion should not include a blank cheque for people's souls. If religious leaders have the freedom to rule every aspect of their followers' lives and expose these people to inhumane treatment, both physically, mentally and emotionally, then how is this any different from the Catholic Inquisitions of the Middle Ages? If the government isn't going to do anything about this, then they may as well abolish this part of the Constitution, because it's not worth the paper it's printed on.

• trevor
    trevor
    I was never treated badly by the Witnesses personally, and I still love them individually. This lack of anger on my part has helped me to be more objective than most.

Thanks for your postings Dog patch -Randy

I think this is a good way to view the Jehovahs Witnesses we left behind. They are basically good people who are misguided. When they shun and cause pain - they know not what they do. This helps to avoid the damage anger can do to us if we hold onto it for too long.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

I watched the show also.

The glaring disimilarity between the splinter LDS cult and Jehovah's Witness was so obvious that I am completely amazed by some of the comments on this thread.

I mean be HONEST people. This was/is a cult led by a single man who picks WHO marries WHO, who promotes polygamy, marrriage of child-brides, where the people have to literally run away to escape.

The JWs are led by a group of men/GB which suggest that you ought to marry someone who shares your value system, who promote monogamy, who tell the young people to remain chaste until marriage, and where the door is always open for anyone to leave - as thousands do each year.

Anyone who saw any similarities please post these in specificity. One is really really stretching to find a similarity.

Claims of "oh they both have a hiearchy or authoritarian structure or employ peer pressure" or generalities like these are NOT enough to support a claim that JWs are similar to the cult portrayed.

-Eduardo

PS: I did find it humourous how in his 15 seconds of airtime, SH managed to quickly encapsulate his BITE definition of cults. That was good.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow
    I'm sick to death of leaders of religions screaming "Freedom of Religion!" every time they're insane and criminal church rules are exposed for all to see. Yes we have freedom of religion over here, but freedom MUST be coupled with responsibility and accountability for your actions. Their Rights to Freedom of Religion should not include a blank cheque for people's souls. If religious leaders have the freedom to rule every aspect of their followers' lives and expose these people to inhumane treatment, both physically, mentally and emotionally, then how is this any different from the Catholic Inquisitions of the Middle Ages? If the government isn't going to do anything about this, then they may as well abolish this part of the Constitution, because it's not worth the paper it's printed on.

Yeah, the religion has the freedom to do what it wants, and people have the freedom to join or not to join, but these are really the only freedoms. When you are trapped in one of these cults, there doesn't seem to be any freedom, but really you do have the freedom to leave if you wish, although this isn't really feasible for some people sometimes.

Religion is a business. Who knows, maybe some day governments will start seeing it this way and will demand they meet certain ethical standards, or impose taxes or something. The way they see it now is, nobody makes you join. I think they should realize some cults are set up so people don't have a choice in some cases.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit