Did you know that it is wrong to play Chess?

by Rod P 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Rod P
    Rod P

I remember being at a bookstudy one Tuesday night. I had just recently been reinstated, and I was trying hard to believe the stuff the WBTS was teaching, as I went back to be reunited with my family. (This did not mean I had all the doctrinal beliefs straightened out so that I was an "automatic believer" just because of being reinstated.)

We were studying an article, I believe it was in the Watchtower (or Awake), and it talked about playing the game of Chess. It went on to say that this was wrong because it encouraged the worldly "spirit of competition". Then it brought up the case of some army Colonel (or high ranking military man) who described his experience of what it was like for him to play chess. Paraphrasing from memory, for him, the squares of the chess board would disappear, and in their place would be various kinds of terrain, and the chess pieces would turn into real characters in a War Game. As he played chess, it would be like he was actually engaging in military combat, with the objective of defeating the enemy. It was like the chess board came alive in his world of make-believe. (Cuckoo - cuckoo - cuckoo)

Now, of course, a guy like that has to be pretty darn weird to play a game of chess from inside that kind of fantasy. He must be living in a world of "looney-tunes". The lights are on in the elevator, but there's no-one home. He's one brick short of a load. Let's see, any other cliches? Oh well, I'm sure you guys can think of a few. Ha! Ha!

But I absolutely fail to see how this has anything to do with the way the average person plays the game. And can anyone tell me what is wrong with a little bit of healthy competition. If we were to follow their advice, then whenever we played a little game of baseball or hockey or volleyball, we would, out of Christian love, let the other side win. Then if everyone tried to let the other side win all the time, what would be the point of playing the game in the first place?

What a bunch of convoluted logic! And they expected us to swallow this stuff. I told the people at the bookstudy that I just couldn't accept that. They told me how sorry they felt for me, and what a struggle that must be for me to accept. Yeah, right, AND HOW! I played in Chess tournaments, and against some of the best, but I didn't see any evidence of the kind of crap they were trying to pedal to us. Anyway, I silently said to myself at the time, "They can just stick this one where the sun don't shine!" (excuse the vernacular)

Rod P.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Here ya go, straight from the horses mouth:

"However, pitting one mind against another, with the element of chance eliminated entirely, tends to stir up a competitive spirit in chess players. In fact, chess is frequently characterized as an 'intellectualized fight.' For example, dethroned world chess champion Boris Spassky noted: "By nature I do not have a combative urge. . . . But in chess you have to be a fighter, and of necessity I became one."

This helps to explain why there are no topflight women chess players -the more than eighty chess grand masters in the world are all men. Actress Sylvia Miles observed regarding this: "To be a professional chess player, you have to be a killer. If the spirit of competition in American women ever does become that strong, then I think we'll get some major female players."

The spirit of competition in chess may be stirred to fever pitch, which is reflected in chess players' attitudes and language. "There's no comparison in any other sport in the attempt to destroy your opponent's psyche," explains chess player Stuart Marguiles. "I never have heard anybody say that he beat his opponent. It's always that he smashed, squished, murdered or killed him."

True, players with which one may be acquainted may not use such language. But, nevertheless, the spirit of competition between players can lead to unpleasant consequences , as the New York Times last summer reported: "Most families manage to keep the inevitable conflicts that arise in games to the chessboard. But in some homes, tensions linger long past checkmate."

? However, there is something else regarding chess that deserves consideration.

This is the game's military connotations, which are obvious. The opposing forces are called "the enemy." These are "attacked" and "captured"; the purpose being to make the opposing king "surrender." Thus Horowitz and Rothenberg say in their book The Complete Book of Chess under the subheading "Chess Is War": "The functions assigned to [the chess pieces], the terms used in describing these functions, the ultimate aim, the justified brutality in gaining the objective all-add up to war, no less."

It is generally accepted that chess can be traced to a game played in

"Chess has been a game of war ever since it was originated 1,400 years ago. The chessboard has been an arena for battles between royal courts, between armies, between all sorts of conflicting ideologies. The most familiar opposition has been the one created in the Middle Age with one set of king, queen, knights, bishops, rooks and pawns against another.

"Other conflicts depicted have been between Christians against barbarians, Americans against British, cowboys against Indians and capitalists against Communists. . . . It is reported that one American designer is now creating a set illustrating the war in ."

Probably most modern chess players do not think of themselves as maneuvering an army in battle. Yet are not the game's connections with war obvious? The word for pawn is derived from a Medieval Latin word meaning "foot soldier." A knight was a mounted man-at-arms of the European feudal period. Bishops took an active part in supporting their side's military efforts. And rooks, or castles, places of protection, were important in medieval warfare.

Thus Reuben Fine, a chess player of international stature, wrote in his book The Psychology of the Chess Player: "Quite obviously, chess is a play-substitute for the art of war." And Time magazine reported: "Chess originated as a war game. It is an adult, intellectualized equivalent of the maneuvers enacted by little boys with toy soldiers. "

While some chess players may object to making such a comparison, others will readily acknowledge the similarity. In fact, in an article about one expert chess player, the New York Times noted: "When Mr. Lyman looks at a chessboard, its squared outlines dissolve at times into the hills and valleys and secret paths of a woodland chase, or the scarred ground of an English battlefield."

When one considers the complex movements, as opposing chessboard armies vie with each other for position, one may wonder whether chess has been a factor in the development of military strategy. According to V. R. Ramachandra Dikshitar, it has. In his book War in Ancient India he examined this matter at length, and concluded: "The principles of chess supplied ideas to the progressive development of the modes and constituents of the army."

The Need for Caution

Some chess players have recognized the harm that can result from playing the game. According to The Encyclopaedia Britannica, the religious reformer "John Huss, . . . when in prison, deplored his having played at chess, whereby he had lost time and run the risk of being subject to violent passions."

The extreme fascination of chess can result in its consuming large amounts of one's time and attention to the exclusion of more important matters, apparently a reason Huss regretted having played the game. Also, in playing it there is the danger of "stirring up competition with one another," even developing hostility toward another, something the Bible warns Christians to avoid doing.

Then, too, grown-ups may not consider it proper for children to play with war toys, or at games of a military nature. Is it consistent, then, that they play a game noted to be, in the opinion of some, an "intellectualized equivalent of the maneuvers enacted by little boys with toy soldiers"? What effect does playing chess really have upon one? Is it a wholesome effect?" (AW 03/22/73 P13-14)

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

yes, i was aware of it. i still could not help myself.

and now that i am out, i want to find a chess club that allows pipe smokers.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

By the way, I also play chess. My son is the provincial champion for grade 12 and will be playing in the nationals in Ottawa in May. It's a great game.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

I didn't know that. I am sure my newly dunked wife didn't know that either.

Looks like the kids and I are busting out the chessboard tonight.

CYP

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

CYP: CHECKMATE!

• Terry
    Terry

And JW's are among the most fierce combatants (of the mind) you will find since their whole being is focused on fighting the fine fight of the faith. Everything is aimed toward defeating the objections of the householder. There is no neutrality in Jehovah's service because you'll be vomited out if you are not either hot or cold.

It is hilarious to me that the article from the Society quotes an actress, Sylvia Miles and a second rate comdey actor, Stuart Margolies to bolster their argument!

And the statement that there are NO TOP-FLIGHT women chessplayers is absolutely ludicrous (as well as an outright lie.)

The reasoning is specious, as usual.

You'd think adults would understand a METAPHOR for crying out loud!

The entire life of creatures on this planet Earth is directed toward battling to stay alive. It was not a chosen existence. It is part of the very nature of life that combat is the center of continued existence. If there is a Jehovah, was it not He who gave the fierce fangs, red claws dipped in blood and armor-plating to the dinosaurs? And that happened BEFORE Adam brought sin and death to the world.

Stop and think about that for a moment all you nerds in the Governing Body!

T.

• Rod P
    Rod P

Running Man;

Thanks for the article. Yesiree, that was the one.

Amen, brother. Congrats. on your sons fine achievements. Wish I was there.

I played a guy who was the Alberta Chess Champion every Friday night for 3 months before finally being able to beat him for the first time. It was a matter of getting to know how his mind thinks, and then do something he doesn't expect.

Check_Your_Premises,

Have fun, you guys. No guilt trips, now.

AuntieJane,

Look again! STALEMATE

Tetrapod;

Don't think I could handle that one. Smoke really gets to me. Sorry.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

What was the name of the Alberta player. I probably don't know him, but likely know someone who does know him. I know all of the Regina chess club, and most of the Saskatoon club. As well, I am the new President of the Saskatchewan Scholastic Chess Association, which organizes tournaments for school kids.

As for beating the fellow, I'm impressed. There are quite a few players in the province that I have never beaten.

Do you have a CFC rating?

• loosie
    loosie

So isn't checkers competitive too? what about monopoly? or Bible trivia games? Isn't there always a winner?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit