25-year-old elders and 18-year-old ministerial servants

by Gopher 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gopher
    Gopher

At some point in the 1980's, a good number of younger men were appointed to the position of servants and elders in congregations, at least here in the Midwestern USA.

Before the 1980's, the required age for elders seemed to be 30, and for ministerial servants 20 (except in rare cases). Perhaps due to a lack of men who were "reaching out", the organization needed to "reach down" and pick out younger men to populate their hierarchy.

It is true that some young JW's are very talented. However, did it or does it seem strange to see 18-year-old servants struggle to handle service meeting announcement parts? Or what about young servants and elders directing field ministry arrangements for people who had been in the organization before they were even born? Did they handle the responsibility well, or did the appointment affect their ego?

• Quotes
    Quotes

Shouldn't a 20 year old elder be named a "younger"???? ;)

~Quotes, of the "Younger Elder" class

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I'm in New England, and was appointed a MS at 20 in 1972, when the arrangement went into place. I was an elder 5 years later, assembly overseer at 30.

I know of others like that. Some were really fine brothers - others became insufferable pricks. Age had less to do with it than personality. Probably by the mid-80s there was a shortage of qualified bros., which is why you saw the changes you mentioned

S4

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Several years ago, there were a number of young MS appointed. Most were elders sons. When one showed up for a shepherding visit to my mother in laws, she told them in no uncertain terms was an 18 year old boy going to offer her any counsel! (She'd been a regular pioneer for years) Last I heard most were removed because of age, except for the elders kids.

BB

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i was one of those 18 year old MS's, and in my case, yes, it did affect my ego. what a horrible thing.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Remember you guys that the word ego doesn't necessarily indicate an inflated one, it might just indicate the particular personality structure the person identifies with.

In that sense all JWs are influenced egoically, even if they are very timid, it is just a matter of thinking you are this person which is the product of WT teachings and the social influences in the congregations.

This reminds me of a couple of Minimus' recent threads, on being phoney and what a person is like before and after the JW experience. That facade may in fact be how the person is used to being, or how they are used to relate to other people, because you are supposed to be a certain way as a good JW and all of that.

Even though you may no longer believe in everything you were taught, that behavior might still be there because you are simply used to being that way in dealing with the congregation. It might very well be that the personality has actually been shaped like that too, the JW "vibe" always reminds me like Leave it to Beaver or something like that.

Of course, since only men can be servants and with the whole headship belief that is bound to inflate the ego, but in terms of defining the structure (specific beliefs and behaviors) it can also be a very influential age.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Here's how the whole thing really works. We had an influential "prominent" elder in our old congo. He'd been PO for several years. He had a son in Bethel, a daughter who was a Pioneer, and a third son who was, well, a publisher. So the elder started beating the drum about appointing this 17, 18 year old kid as a MS. The rest of the body wasn't buying it, not just because of his age, but because of his incredible immaturity (plus he had a rep as kind of a hound with the ladies, given the obvious dub ladykiller limits).

This went on at every elder's meeting before every CO's visit for three years until, finally, he wore down the last of the opposition and the kid, now about 21, was appointed. This boy was always bitter about "being made to wait" until he was out of his teens, always pointing out that some have been apptd by then.

He's a MS for at least 10 years when his father, now moved away to another congo in another state, starts phoning the PO in our congo about why his son hasn't been appointed an elder. Something is said about his frequent headaches, his fragile health condition, and his single state --coupled with his ongoing reputation as a heartbreaker. Shortly thereafter, he proposed to his current hearthrob and they got hitched the minute she turned 18 (he was in his early 30s). Immediately, the father called our PO and starting agitating to see an appointment. After all, the kid had "settled down" and married, thus removing any significant obstacle to his being an elder.

Sure enough, over the next two years, he wore down the opposition and this immature, emotionally fragile young man was made an elder. His dad was sure happy.

• Mulan
    Mulan

We had an elder with two sons, who were in their early 20's, both MS's. They would often both show up for midweek service and actually fight over who had to conduct. Neither of them wanted to do it. Then when it was time for the prayer, they would argue about that too. The one conducting would ask the other one to pray and he would challenge him saying he should do it since he conducted, and once outright refused to do it. They were ridiculous.

I about had a heart attack when the older of the two was appointed an elder when he was 25. I said outloud "you have GOT to be kidding" when it was announced. He was such a loser and had no talent for being an elder, and no people skills at all. Dave was terribly embarrassed when I did that, but I asked him what they were thinking (he was an elder at that time, but beginning his fade) and he said he decided to let it go, because they had brought it up at every elder meeting and he didn't care anymore.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

It was a seesaw. During the great pre-75 expansion, there were some ex-Bethelite COs in their late 20's (at least according to my dub dad). If you read the biographies of missionaries from the early Knorr era, a lot of these guys were Branch Overseers in their 20's or 30's.

A lot of Christian churches ordain ministers in their early 20's, although they wouldn't go on right away to be the pastor of a large congregation, of course.

• theotherside
    theotherside

I was about 27 and yes it did affect my ego, I wanted 2 change the world had all the answers and made alot of the friends mad right off the top. I eventually saw the havoc I was causing and backed off. So many of the young brothers were mad at me 4 being an elder and I lost all of my peers as friends. Had 2 associate with brothers who were older, and really it was good because I learned alot from them but Its so sad the perception of elders being the ones you got 2 steer clear of because they always watching u. Which I geuss is true. But 2 my own credit I eventually became the brother who most wanted 2 be in on judicial cases because they knew I would lean toward mercy....I mean why not give mercy and help? Wouldnt Jesus do it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit