Were you allowed to play sports?

by love11 31 Replies latest social physical

• love11
    love11
    My two brothers and I have talked about this very thing (they are out now, too) and we all agree that not being able to participate in any of the extracurricular things significantly hurt our self-esteem.

I know what you mean. It's like your whole life you're told- That stuff is not for you, that's for other children.

The funniest thing happened today. I signed up for a step aerobics class at the Y. It was supposed to be held in the gym but when I went there, no one was there. So I thought maybe they switched rooms and it is being held in the aerobic studio. So I looked through the window and sure enough there were people in there. Right next to everyone on the floor was this little step bench looking thing and everyone was holding a big exercise ball. So I just thought that the step aerobics class was doing something a little different, it was my first time and I didn't know what to expect and I was late walking in.

Come to find out, I had walked in on a pilates class. I looked around for the instructor and didn't see anyone who "looked" like a teacher. So when a lady started talking and asking me if I needed a mat and ball I was shocked to see this lady. This woman had love handles and when she bent over you could see a roll sticking out with a tatoo of some sort on it. Any normal person in the class I wouldn't care what they looked like. But the instructor should at least be fit!!!

Now... am I being superficial by thinking that the instructor should be in better shape than I am?

Anyways, I'm not going to take that class again because it cost alot more than my step class did. And the step class was cancelled. I want to take another class but I don't want to take a water class because then I'll be with all old people. I don't want to take a strength training class because it will be with all buff guys. Hey what am I saying?..... Well... I think for now I'll just get my money back and do my dvd class. But I thought that was funny, about who they got for the instructor. It made me feel better about myself and really isn't that the reason you should exercise?!! So I guess in an odd way it did help.

• Mamacat
    Mamacat

No sports for me. My mom let me try out for soccer in 9th grade, and I made the team. Then, she said I couldn't play, and my dad didn't help me. The only things I was allowed to be a part of in school was the honor society and S.A.D.D.

I don't recall any of the other kids in our congregation playing sports either.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

This was very difficult for me as a kid. I used to play football (soccer) and rugby (erm... bit like American football but without the pads, and the ball can only go backwards and..... oh look it up!!! ) There came a time when i was 16 when i had to choose between having a trial at a football club and getting baptised. I chose to get dunked.... I 'could' have been a seasoned international footballer by now, earning the best part of £30,000 a week at least.......famous.....rich........ *** drifts off into a daydream...****

• devinsmom
    devinsmom

No never as far as extracuricullar sports go. I was really good @ tennis and joining the team would have kept me out of some trouble. Guess that backfired on the 'rents...hehe.

-April

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

if it was within school hours or on the very very rare occasion of being a one off then it wasnt a problem..so i got to play football once..rugby (bit like american football except..oh look it up) once..cricket once..and cross country a few times..and a couple of athletic meets

i was never brilliant at any sport but would have made the school team for most..to be fair there was quite a lot of youngsters in the kh so we would all get together really regularly to play all kinds of stuff so at the time i didnt think i was missing out

so paul

earning the best part of £30,000 a week at least...
    you cant have been much good then
  • PaulJ
    PaulJ

Maybe Ive undercut myself a bit havent i? 'I'd make it up in outlandish sponsorship money.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

yeah paul....but only the big four

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

I'd be the 'face' of Pukka Pies..... I can see myself on a 'big' poster now........

• colorado5591
    colorado5591

SWEET FANCY MOSES! Ain't that the truth, I think that was just Dad. He swindled me out of college. He used it as a ploy to get me to come back from California. Clearly I remember, sitting in Dairy Queen with ma and pa, and dad says...you dont need college, just find a nice man to marry.....WTF is that all about?

• Ellie
    Ellie

As a litle girl I was allowed to do ballet, however every Xmas I had to take a few weeks off my lessons as my mum didn't want me listening to Xmas music or taking part in any Xmas dances.

As a teenager I willingly gave up figure skating to attend meetings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit