Evidence for evolution, Installment 5: Lake Tanganyika, etc

by seattleniceguy 109 Replies latest jw friends

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

hey abaddon......good points...im REALLY listening now

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    hey abaddon......good points...im REALLY listening now

Why do these discussions always get so personal? When tijkmo said something about the Bible, I felt compelled to yank out that "foolish to speak about a matter you don't know about" scripture. Why? What could I imagine that would add to the discussion? Ok, firstly, I apologize. I really wasn't calling you a fool, I was trying to be cute by whipping out a scripture in response to your "argue from the Bible" comment. In retrospect, I failed. It was not helpful, and not nearly as cute as I was going for. Secondly, are you interested in learning about evolution? I'm the wrong guy and this is the wrong thread to get your whole knowledge on the subject, but it's a decent place to get your feet wet. If you are interested, let's have an open, non-argumentative, productive discussion on it. Not a full course in biology (which I am about 99.999% unable to have anyway), just enough to build your interest to the point where you decide it's worthwhile to investigate on your own. When I got interested enough, I read Dawkins' "The Blind Watchmaker". It's a difficult read because it's lengthy, and he's arrogant. But if you care enough about the subject, you can get through it. There may be better books out there on the subject, that's the only one I've read. It does make the case, though, so it's worth your time. Up for it? If so, and assuming you're coming from the standpoint of feeling like evolution has unbelievable aspects to it, could you tell me what one or two of the more glaring ones are? Dave

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Dave:
    Were you trying to be "cute" to a Scot - tsk tsk tsk!
    LOL

Follow Gyles' lead. He's got him by the b*ll*x and it's bringing tears to my eyes, watching it.

Tij:
    Gyles (Abaddon) is a hard man, but fair
    (Well, most of the time - LOL)

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Why do these discussions become personal? Ego, but I'm not impressed. Honesty is all about listening and learning from a good argument even when you are red in the face from embarrassment at having been bitch slapped in public over something stupid you said or believed.

If you can't listen and learn in that situation, then you aren't an honest person. Dishonest people ruined a good portion of my life, so dishonest ex-JW's can go fuck themselves, imho.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

DAVE, NOoooooooooooooooooooo...don't listen to Little Toe...don't follow Abaddon's lead.......those are his own b*ll*x he's got in his hand....

....and if this continues i'm going to bring out the leather whip and stilletos and then it's spankings for everyone!!!

~Merry (slowly evolving into a dominatrix before your very eyes)

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

~Pat's Six's pointy head~There, there, there, did we get out of bed the right side, this morning?

Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you!

LT, of the "honest plagarist" class.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Oh gawd I'm turned on - does it show???

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    ....and if this continues i'm going to bring out the leather whip and stilletos and then it's spankings for everyone!!!

Ok, I'm confused. Which behavior are you trying to encourage?

Dave of the "probably again failed to be cute" class

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

You couldn't fail if you tried, Dave...

~Merry

• Daunt
    Daunt

For the most part, the reason why a lot of people can swing from one faith to another is because their "facts" and beliefs can be shattered at the snap of a finger. If an elder rapes you, this can lead you to a period of questioning and not believing in what you have been taught. Just like that, all your facts have been thrown off the face of your planet.

When your facts are observable and happen consistently with your life. You've tested these observations with experimentation and found that it happens throughout all of your experiments, I think anybody would agree with me that we can consider this as fact. If you look into evolution and study it you will find these observations and experiments. You can even test them out yourself, you just have to look. Experiements this fundamental is almost immpossible (in our universe at least) to shatter and that is a much better groundwork than something that can't be proven or even tested.

This is why there are cults, this is why there is racism. Many individuals are too impatient to solve their problems with reality, they need scapegoats so they can stop worrying about the answers. This as most people would agree, hopefully, leads to a dangerous unrealistic personality.

To sum it up, base your claims in reality. Something that you can pick up and support your claim with. It very hard to shatter something everybody can see.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit