Evidence for evolution, Installment 5: Lake Tanganyika, etc

by seattleniceguy 109 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Anyway, the idea that macro-evolution is merely the exrapolation of observed micro-evolutionary processes is questioned even among evolutionists.

Hmmm.. do you have any reference for that? Here's a site that sort of says it: http://anthro.palomar.edu/synthetic/synth_9.htm

But that's touching on the "punctuated equilibrium" idea versus a slow, gradual change. As I understand it, both of these ideas are based on micro-evolution, it's just a question of how quickly they accumulated to produce the "macro-evolution" result.

Dave

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Tijkmo

I'm sorry if you thought I was being overly harsh, but you can see other people saw exactly the same attitude in your posts that I did and was objecting to. Maybe we both could have done it better but I'm just happy you're interested in learning.

hooberus

I must admit I find it difficult to see your argument in anyway as logical or consistant.

You provide us with links to information like this;

However, when the interpretation of scientific data contradicts the true history of the world as revealed in the Bible, then it?s the interpretation of the data that is at fault.

The website is http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/faq/docs/tree_ring.asp and you quoted it in http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/86544/1435087/post.ashx#1435087

I find it totally bewildering you will endorse such presuppostionalism and yet yourself state;

Many of these 'normal science magazines' are run by dogmatic evolutionists who reject creation apriori (based on philosophic grounds),...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/78569/1.ashx

How can you endorse a website that insists the Bible is accurate and any scientific interpretation diverging from the Bible's version of events is by definiton wrong, and yet criticise others because you feel they do the same thing as those websites you endorse?

Surely, if you are right about the evolutionists being 'wrong' by rejecting things on philosophical grounds (I'm not saying that is why they do, that's your accusation) it is inconsistant to accept evidence from people who do exactly what you condemn others for.

This is not the only inconsitancey in your argumentation. You endorse by quotation;

"This misses the point?these cloud chamber experiments are still observations in the present and are repeatable. A dinosaur turning into a bird 150 Ma (million years ago) is neither observable in real time, directly or indirectly, nor repeatable."

http://www.answersingenesis.org/news/scientific_american.asp

Yet your own beliefs are not observable, nor repeatable, nor do they have any supporting evidence; why the apparent double standard?.

Oh, and I am criticising the intellectual honesty of your argument, not attacking you personally, just so you know.

You seem to claim others do wrong yet commit the same error you accuse others of in your own argument. Why?

• hooberus
    hooberus

Abaddon, many creationists (such as AiG) and many evolutionists have presuppositions (if you seach the word "presuppositions" in the AiG search engine you will see that they admit that they do). For Biblical creationists (such as AiG) the Bible is generally considered to be a starting axiom.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v22/i1/creation.asp

Many evolutionists also have presuppositions (such as the belief that origins must be "naturalistic" to be science). However in the creation-evolution debate some evolutionists occasionally attempt to give the impression that they are somehow "dispassionate", "objective" scientists who "follow the evidence wherever it leads" -unlike the "presupositionalist" creationists. My pointing out the bias of these evolutionists is primarily to to respond to their facade of pure objectivity, not to necessarily condemn presuppositionalism per se.

Anyway, the fact remains that many in the evolutionary establishment are just as subject to presuppositionalism as even Biblical Creationists are.

In reality there are realy only three basic options for life as wee see it today -they are:

1. creation

2. evolution/naturalsim

3. some combination of the previous two

Creationists such as AiG are up front about their beliefs. However some evolutionists (such as Talk Origins) tend at times to give the impression that they are somehow free of presuppositions (for example note their masthead "Exploring the Creation/Evolution Controversy"), when in fact they publish only pro-evolution/ anti-creation arcticles.

• love11
    love11

I always look forward to reading your threads on evolution. Do you do the research for school and then relay it to us, or is this just for our benefit. Either way, it's very interesting. I find it amusing that some people will believe in stories (bible) with no proof that they actually happened, yet with all the evidence that evolution gives us they still deny it as something that cannot be proven. I just wish they would hold their stories to the same scrutiny. Well, anyways, to each his own.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

hooberus

Abaddon, many creationists (such as AiG) and many evolutionists have presuppositions (if you seach the word "presuppositions" in the AiG search engine you will see that they admit that they do). For Biblical creationists (such as AiG) the Bible is generally considered to be a starting axiom.

Don't you think that there is a difference?

The Creationists I quote assume THEIR interpretation of the Bible is correct, for a start. There is no proof of this.

Now, whilst it might suit your argument to concentrate on evolutionists who exclude any possibility of a creator, this is not representative.

It is wrong to paint all people who believe in a creator god as being YEC'ers; some may believe everything of science's interpretation of physical evidence, but still believe in god's guiding hand. Others believe something 'twixt the two poles.

It is wrong to paint evolutionists as people who exclude the existence of a 'god'. Many people who believe in the evolutionary process also believe in god; their interpretation of what the Bible says is simply different to a YEC'er.

Thus the whole presentation by Creationists of a very literal bent, such as YEC'ers, is not what they make it seem.

It is not the Bible versus science.

It is their opinion of what the Bible means against science.

It is all about them.

It is all about the sanctification of their own opinion as divine truth.

Their unprovable claim that they have the sole correct interpretation of an ancient text leads them to make claims about what other parts of the Bible mean - claims which are again unprovable, but are used to back the condemnation of others or to insist upon the compliance of others with what they say is god's word, but is actually just their human opinion.

Evolution of course has its egos too. But no evolutionist will make a claim that those that (say) believe the mass extinction at the end of the Cretatious was due to volcanic activity will burn in fire whilst those that believe it was a meteor will go to heaven. And their egos are subjected to a pretty good process of ensuring that unsupported personal opinions are not accepted as science; peer review.

An opinion based on evidence can be checked. An opinion based upon a presuppostion cannot be checked. This is why it is difficult to have peer review of opinions based upon presuppostion; you can't check them. The reason they don't publish creationistic articles in mainstream science journals is that publishing an article based on someone's unsupported opinion without evidence or an underlying theory is something science journals strenuously try to avoid doing!

Creationism in its literalist forms is all about opinions, not interpretation of evidence. What Creationists use as evidence for their claims is not a direct record of events, for a start (unlike bones which are). Also, a passage of text has far larger number of possible interpretations than a set of similar fossils with small but desernable changes from the deepest fossil to the most shallowly buried one

Many evolutionists also have presuppositions (such as the belief that origins must be "naturalistic" to be science). However in the creation-evolution debate some evolutionists occasionally attempt to give the impression that they are somehow "dispassionate", "objective" scientists who "follow the evidence wherever it leads" -unlike the "presupositionalist" creationists.

Remember evolutionists can believe in god, but a literalistic Creationist's like YEC'ers cannot believe in much of modern sceince...

This is an important difference. In addition to believing their interpretation of the Bible is inerrant, people like YEC'ers also believe that much of modern science is wrong. Even though they use and trust the products developed with that science, if their opinion differs to scienece, they believe their opinion, and carry right on using phones, doctors, medicine, airplanes, cars, etc.

I mean, what are the odds, eh? 'Evil' science saves you from cancer but is wrong when it tries to date bones even if multiple methods arrive at similar dates?

The reason evolutionists generally feel their opinions are more objective is that they interpret the evidence,

Whilst people like those I quoted;

However, when the interpretation of scientific data contradicts the true history of the world as revealed in the Bible, then it?s the interpretation of the data that is at fault.

... insist they are right and that the evidence backs them up even if everyone else in the world says it doesn't.

Where evolutionists have bones in the ground, people like YEC'ers have words on a page.

We know the bones are an accurate impression of what was there. I don't think you despute that fossilised bones have been found all over the world, many of species no longer alive today.

Evolutionists interpret that evidence and the validity of those interpretations may be checked by examining the evidence. The theory may be refined, argued over, adjusted; but there is still the certainty that the bones were there, and came from creatures no longer alive, and that the bones had ancestors which left bones and descendents which left bones.

The words on a page that YEC'ers claim they have the sole accurate interpretation have nothing like that level of assurance behind them. We do not know if they are an accurate impression of what was there; some people assume they are.

My pointing out the bias of these evolutionists is primarily to to respond to their facade of pure objectivity, not to necessarily condemn presuppositionalism per se.

My dear hooberus, of course you're not going to condemn presuppostionalism. You're a presuppostionalist! You are asserting that the opinion of yourself and those of your ilk will be right, no matter what, even if you cannot prove it, even if every scientific test possible disagrees with you, even if you have no evidence.

However, as your continual attempts to defend the most literalistic forms of Creationism show, even though you ARE a presuppositionalist, you are on some level aware of the inadequacy of such an argument, as although you shouldn't have to prove it given the admitted unsupported nature of your argument, you always try to.

Interesting, eh?

Anyway, the fact remains that many in the evolutionary establishment are just as subject to presuppositionalism as even Biblical Creationists are.

No; bones in ground, stars in sky, and theories of how this came to be are not presuppostions. The evidence might lead to conclusions, but conclusions based on evidence are semantically and factually different to presuppositons. I am not saying that those conclusions are inerrant. Unlike literalistic Creationists who claim they are inerrant, science accepts it makes mistakes and needs checking and re-examination. The whole scientific process allows this; although inertia and conservatism (as in any human grouping) can DELAY change, the 'rules' of how 'science' work mean chnage WILL happen is EVIDENCE supports it.

My opinions have changed and would change again if evidence arose that invalidated the theories I base my opinons on.

Your beliefs are incapable of change if the evidence doesn't support them as you are a presuppositionalist and the evidence doesn't matter, you've already decided your opinion is right.

• hooberus
    hooberus

I'll try (Lord willing) to respond to your claims. However I might do it a section at a time. I would also appreciate it if you would allow me to defend against some of your above claims before you post new charges on this particular thread.

The Creationists I quote assume THEIR interpretation of the Bible is correct, for a start. There is no proof of this.

Are you saying that the interpretation of the Bible held by AiG has no support from proper biblical exegesis? or merely that it cannot be absolutely proven to be a correct interpretation of the intent of the text?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Are you saying that the interpretation of the Bible held by AiG has no support from proper biblical exegesis? or merely that it cannot be absolutely proven to be a correct interpretation of the intent of the text?

I think Abaddon meant that your interpretation could be correct, but if you presuppose it to be so, you will obviously reject any evidence that contradicts that interpretation.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

love11, thanks, I'm glad you enjoy the series! I do the research for my own personal edification, and I write the articles in order to share with people who might be interested and to clarify and reiterate the points in my own head. One must always do three times as much research in order to write a convincing paper, so the "pressure" of writing to an audience helps me fill out my knowledge.

SNG

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

hooberus

The latter; what literalists take literally, others (with just as much 'faith' as a literalist) see allegorically.

... but I'd like you to respond on the other points as well.

• hooberus
    hooberus
    The latter; what literalists take literally, others (with just as much 'faith' as a literalist) see allegorically.

While some do take Genesis allegorically, the fact remains that there is very strong substantial biblical support for a literal straightforward interpretation of Genesis (even the National Academy of Sciences publication "Teaching about Evolution and the Nature of Science" interprets Genesis fairly similar to AiG).

Therefore the implication (if you intended to make it) that there is no support for AiG's Biblical exegesis is incorrect.

... but I'd like you to respond on the other points as well.

Regarding your claims:

Now, whilst it might suit your argument to concentrate on evolutionists who exclude any possibility of a creator, this is not representative.

Perhaps you are refering to quotes that I have given such as those by Evolutionist Todd (Kansas State University) in a letter to Nature:

"Even if all the data point to an intelligent designer, such a hypothesis is excluded from science because it is not naturalistic."

My quotes of those such as Todd are not to state that they exclude the mere "possiblity of a creator," but instead to demonstrate their methological bias when it comes to origins research - a bias which does in fact result in only naturalistc options being considered in origins, (and thus excludes creation from a real practical consideration). Furthermore I think also that you will find that "methodological naturalism" in origins is representative of many in the evolutionary establishment.

It is wrong to paint all people who believe in a creator god as being YEC'ers; some may believe everything of science's interpretation of physical evidence, but still believe in god's guiding hand. Others believe something 'twixt the two poles.

I don't belive that I (nor AiG) have done this.

It is wrong to paint evolutionists as people who exclude the existence of a 'god'. Many people who believe in the evolutionary process also believe in god; their interpretation of what the Bible says is simply different to a YEC'er.

I haven't painted evolutionists as people "who exclude the existence of a 'god'." I have however pointed out that the methodology practiced by many in the evolutonary establishment involves the practical consideration of only "naturalisitc explanations" for the origin of the various animal creatures. Such a methodology of couse makes some type of evolutionary scheme a virtually inevitable conclusion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit