Bookstudy in my home

by JAVA 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Our church has "Small Groups" that meet every other Sunday night. The point is to have a smaller group (6 - 8) of people than the Sunday School class where you can get to know each other better and share more intimate details of your lives. Although the church has a "schedule" that can be followed, each small group can decide when/where to meet and what to discuss. Our Sunday School teacher provides us outlined questions based upon his lesson for that day, but it doesn't have to be followed. There is a lot of leeway in terms of what you discuss. Mozz and I have done it for two years now and really enjoy it. We meet at each others homes on Sunday night with a potluck meal and conversation/dessert afterwards. It's really been neat to watch all of us grow, individually and together.

I've actually found an accountability partner out of our small group. We meet every week though.

• JAVA
    JAVA

Lisa -- Our group started from a cluster of parents whose kids attended the same school. We got to know each other from various school activities the kids were involved in. When they graduated from high school, we decided to stay in touch, and that's how the group started.

The group picks the discussion topic for the following month. For example, last Saturday the topic was "choices." We talked about choices made, and their outcomes, and also choices we plan to make. Last month the topic was "Taoism." There is no set pattern to the topics, and it's fun and interesting seeing the various topics we've discussed over the past 3-plus years.

We meet at our home because there is a room set aside with couches, chairs, pillows, and fireplace. Everything is very informal, and people come and go to the kitchen at anytime for snacks, wine, etc. It's not unusual hearing people in the kitchen continuing the discussion there. When everyone is there (which is usually the case) 9 attend.

The group is very diverse, which adds greatly to the discussion and fun. Some are people of faith, and some are not. All in all, it's the best bookstudy (usually without books) I've attend and had in our home.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit