Did you go to your prom or belong to a "worldly" club while you were a witness?

by minimus 17 Replies latest jw friends

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

I didn't get to do any of these things. This is why life is a little frustrating now...I want my kids to embrace fully what high school is all about, and do EVERYTHING...but nope, they have to 'rebel' against the whole high school scene. 'Oh, that's so high school.' DRIVES ME CRAZY! If I could do it again, I'd study my ass off, be in every club possible, go to every game and dance, and esp. try out for the plays and musicals!!! And run for president!

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

This religion always reminded me of the movie Footloose, where the Dad (the town Preacher) would not allow a dance or rock music in the town.

I experienced this in the 1980's, where Elders felt that any get together was going to result in fornicating or partying and drinking. Most of the kids just wanted to have fun with their friends. Alot left and found their fun elsewhere.     

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

No prom, no clubs. Once I won a public speaking contest but couldn't go to the next level because it was being held in a church basement

• Perry
    Perry

Thanks for posting that VH7.

That reasoning is so flawed. Life is war, our Christian walk is war, we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against .... wickedness in high places. And, 2 Timothy 2:3 says, "Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ."

I suspect the reason they wrote against chess is because of its inherent mental practice, and also it just gives people another reason to imagine their moral superiority by adding another item to their prohibition list. 

Pharisees

• minimus
    minimus
    It explains why so many young JWS perfected the art of sneakiness,
  • blondie
    blondie

I was in math club and French club.  I was held back more by financial barriers.  I was on the girl's basketball, volleyball, and baseball teams.

But remember I had a wussy jw mother and a non-jw father who allowed us to do whatever we wanted in school.  I went on school outings to museums. 

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence
    I belonged to a couple of clubs, but no sports. I really wanted to play (American) football, but was not allowed. I remember my senior year in high school when the hot Swiss foreign exchange student asked me to go to the prom with her. Of course I couldn't go. Fifteen years later, that still irritates me!
  • Nevuela
    Nevuela

Playing chess: The real danger of playing chess is it's military nature, the equivalent of the maneuvers enacted by little boys with toy soldiers. Awake!, 3/22/73, pp.12-14.

This brings to mind images of two adults at a chessboard, one ramming his bishop against the other's knight repeatedly while making "fight" noises, just like "little boys with their toy soldiers."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit