Did you go to your prom or belong to a "worldly" club while you were a witness?

by minimus 17 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus
    I didn't go to the prom but I did belong to a chess club until the Awake article said it was a war game and suggested true Christians wouldn't play such a game.
  • undercover
    undercover

No proms, no dances, no clubs, no sports, no pep rallies, no school concerts, no voting in class elections, no nuthin...

...and people wondered why I hated school, and couldn't wait to graduate...

• blondie
    blondie
    I went to my senior school dance...prom was too expensive.
  • Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Playing chess: The real danger of playing chess is it's military nature, the equivalent of the maneuvers enacted by little boys with toy soldiers. Awake!, 3/22/73, pp.12-14.

"the spirit of competition between players can lead to unpleasant circumstances...in some homes tensions linger long past checkmate...Chess has been a game of war since it originated...the games connection to war is obvious....a play substitute for the art of war...there is a danger of stirring up competition with one another even developing hostility with one another something the bible warns against....What effect does playing Chess have on one? Is it a wholesome effect? ....there are questions regarding it that each one who plays chess should consider." Awake 73 March 22 p.12

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge
    I didn't go to my prom, nor developed any natural friendships with my peers. I wasn't allowed any extracurricular activities that was school related. I did join a small local chess club. An Elder taught me chess and I became a solid player. I was never a master of the game, but I eventually was able to beat this Elder. He then scolded me, and said I spent too much time on chess.
  • cleanideas
    cleanideas

I was far too socially awkward to ever go to a school dance.  But I was in the chess club, and drama club.  Did lots of theater at my school and competitive drama which involved me going to other schools to compete.  My parents were not super JW's at the time, but that didn't stop them from writing me letters disowning me once I left the religion.  

• brandnew
    brandnew

I was in a car club, even had a plaque on the back window of my low - low.  ; )      My dad actually had my back on this.....saying mechanikin on my low-low kept me busy , and outta trouble.

And at the same time , kept me in a pretty cool ....LOW-LOW.

• minimus
    minimus
    Many of us are like kids in a candy store now.
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

No...I didn't. I wasn't allowed. My kids will do the things I wasn't allowed to experience.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Even though my parents were strict JWs and I was not allowed to join any clubs or go to school games, dances etc, I DID attend my junior prom and my senior ball. Why was I allowed you ask?

Answer: My date for both was my JW fiance'!! We double dated with another JW couple both times to combat "worldly" associations. LOL!

Witness logic at its best: engaged at 16 to prevent fornication.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit