i JUST got a god idea

by donald 12 Replies latest jw friends

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Thanks talesin, so you mean there is no scriptural basis for such a practice!?

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Jaffacake... here's a sample of their reasoning:

w98 3/15 21Is it not true, however, that individual Witnesses are expected to report their preaching activity? Yes, but the purpose of this is clearly explained in a Witness handbook, which says: "Early followers of Jesus Christ took interest in reports of progress in the preaching work. (Mark 6:30) As the work prospered, statistical reports were compiled along with accounts of outstanding experiences of those having a share in preaching the good news. . . . (Acts 2:5-11, 41, 47; 6:7; 1:15; 4:4) . . . How encouraging it was for those faithful Christian workers to hear reports of what was being accomplished! . . . In like manner, Jehovah?s modern-day organization endeavors to keep precise records of the work being done in fulfillment of Matthew 24:14."

That's a partial quote from material in the Organized to Accomplish our Ministry book, which I'm afraid I don't have handy at the moment, somewhere between pages 100-110. (The book has recently been reissued with some revisions as Organized to Do Jehovah's Will.)

The practice of 'counting time' dates back to Rutherford's presidency, when people's numbers were actually posted publicly for everyone to see, and there were quotas, much like a sales organization. The WTS has mellowed considerably since then, but there is still a 'soft quota' of 10 hours a month for any congregational office, and of course the pioneers still have explicit quotas.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

So there is scriptural basis for commenting on approximate numbers of conversions (Acts) although no suggestion that names had to be written on earth, quite the contrary.

On the separate question of reporting time, I still see no scriptural precedence for counting and reporting time spent preaching the gospel. Not all Christians did this anyway - many of them were slaves. The Bible suggests witnessing was done by many as they encounterd people on a day to day basis, not by some organised activity. All evidence seems to be to the contrary of what the Watchtower requires (so we may not boast?)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit