in which the emotional and reflex excitability is
    exaggerated, and the will power correspondingly diminished,
    so that the patient loses control over the emotions, becomes
    the victim of imaginary sensations, and often falls into
    paroxism or fits.
    [1913 Webster]

e.g. See: Jennifer Wilbanks.

---------

A black eye for women everywhere and a detriment to female victims of crime. She should be prosecuted for making a false police report and for the expenses involved in her search.

-Eduardo

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

What she did was wrong. However, what stone aged text did you dig up in order to support your chauvenistic theory on women being primarilly subject to 'hysterics'. In your practice of law do you often have to go back to 1913 to find support for your ideas?

The below is off of dictionary.com. There are five interperetations for hysteric and none mention one sex more than the other being subject to it.

I think that you do this type of thing just to piss women on this site off, and feel that your passive agressive behavior is unbecoming to anyone who calls themselves Christain and very disrespectful of every woman who posts here.

Jean

5 entries found for hysteric.

hys·ter·ic ( P ) Pronunciation Key (h
    n.
    1. A person suffering from hysteria.
    2. hysterics (used with a sing. or pl. verb)
      1. A fit of uncontrollable laughing or crying.
      2. An attack of hysteria.

adj.
      Hysterical.

[From Latin hystericus , hysterical, from Greek husterikos , from husterwomb (from the former idea that disturbances in the womb caused hysteria).]
      [ Download or Buy Now ]
      Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
      Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
      Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

hys·ter·ic (h
      n.

1. A person suffering from hysteria.
      2. hysterics A fit of uncontrollable laughing or crying.

Source: The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary
      Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Main Entry: hys·ter·ic
      Pronunciation: his-'ter-ik
      Function: noun
      : an individual subject to or affected with hysteria

Source: Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

Main Entry: hys·ter·i·cal
      Pronunciation: -'ter-i-k&l
      Variant: also hys·ter·ic /-'ter-ik/
      Function: adjective
      : of, relating to, or marked by hysteria <during hysterical conditions various functions of the human body are disordered ?Morris Fishbein> ?hys·ter·i·cal·ly /-i-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Source: Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

hysteric

adj : characterized by or arising from psychoneurotic hysteria; "during hysterical conditions various functions of the human body are disordered"- Morris Fishbein; "hysterical amnesia" [syn: hysterical] n : a person suffering from hysteria

3. Oroborus21
      Oroborus21

This from the person who uses Betty Boop as her icon?

that's hysterical.

-Eduardo

4. talesin
      talesin

heheh, O, you are hysterical if you don't realize you just stepped in it ...

5. avishai
      avishai

What's wrong with Betty Boop? She was a flapper, and they were some of the most empowered, early feminist women of this century!

6. seeitallclearlynow
      seeitallclearlynow

Eduardo seems to be stuck in "judge and condemn" mode most of the time.

He even presumed to judge Farkel's last amusing post as "beneath him". Wow, Eduardo knows all, judges all, corrects us all.

7. Oroborus21
      Oroborus21

Avishai,

her boyfriend was a dog, a literal DOG. Don't you find that just a bit weird and bestial?

-Eduardo

8. AlmostAtheist
      AlmostAtheist

I think she made a naive and foolish move, but not out of malice. I seriously doubt she realized her little disappearing act was going to turn into a nationwide campaign to find her. And once this person that doesn't think things through found herself neck-deep in it, she made a desparate move to try to get out of it. Under pressure, who knows what you or I would do?

Charge her for lying? Maybe, but I don't think so.

Pay restitution? Keep in mind, that wasn't due to her lying, that was due to her taking off without telling anybody. I don't think she can be held responsible for the decision to launch a search.

Marry her? Not today, my friend.

Dave

9. SixofNine
      SixofNine

Frankly I worry more about the mass hyteria (usually originating from the so-called "conservative" crowd) that comes about when the masses begin cackling "hysterically" about some event/crime or another, as if said incident was the first chunk of the sky falling on America or the world.

10. Englishman
      Englishman

The Laughing Policeman is the most hysterical thing that I ever heard.

Go on..click on it, I guarantee you'll be grinning from ear to ear within 60 seconds.

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit