Zyban - to quit smoking...

by chrissee 11 Replies latest watchtower medical

• chrissee
    chrissee

Has anyone used zyban to quit smoking?? And with what success..?? My husband, who has smoked for over 20 years (he'll be 35 this summer) had begun treatment to quit smoking using zyban and nicotine gum & lozenges will be used as well.

I just had the chronic sinusitis surgery on Monday (see post - http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/16/89251/1.ashx ) and the doctor kind of blamed some of my condition on second hand smoke and told my husband he is not to smoke around me at all, especially while my sinuses are healing.

My husband, Ron, has tried to quit many times in our 13 years of marriage. Cold turkey, using the gum, or patch alone. The longest he went with out cigarettes was 11 days. He looked into all the information on use of zyban and told me the very next day after my surgery that he would schedule an appointment with the dr to get started. (His health insurance will cover the cost of 50 percent of the pills, patches & gum/lozenges. He started the pills on Wednesday evening and has a 'quit' date of Friday May 6th.(This is the day he will actually stop smoking.)

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• love11
    love11

My friend used that to quit smoking. It worked but I'm not sure if it will work that fast. It's a gradual process over a few months. But you will notice that you want less and less as the time goes on. One day she said to me that just smelling smoke made her nauseous, so it worked. Also, it helped her lose weight and stopped any depressive thoughts. It's basically Wellbutrin. Your husband might have to take it for a whole year from the time he starts, just to make sure he doesn't relapse. And it won't hurt you to take it. It's one of the mildest forms of SRI (?) and doctors even prescribe it to pregnant women. Well, good luck.

• chrissee
    chrissee

Since I started this thread this morning, my husband got up for work (he's nite shift) and was all swollen in the face and red. He checked with the doctor and she confirmed that it was an allergic reaction to the Zyban and he should stop taking the Zyban....bummer!

So any other good suggestions to quit smoking with??? He may have to do it on his own, via patch or gum or lozenge. I'm always pulling for him...

Thanks!

• love11
    love11

That's too bad!

But my sister tried everything and exhausted all the products on the market. So she decided to do something out of the ordinary- she went to a hypnotist! And as crazy as it might seem- it worked! Also, the woman she went to guaranteed the session or her money back. She said that in about 6 months to a year, she may have to go back for a follow up appointment, or whenever she started feeling the urge again. She said it made her feel ugly to pick up a cigarette and it made her sick to smell the smoke. I hope that helps in some way.

• avishai
    avishai

Hypnosis.

Or, every time he gets the urge, eat a cig, or smoke it filter first. Seriously. Or soak his butts in water and drink the water. Then drink it. Aversion therapy is better than making you sick or him dying in a cancer ward

• talesin
    talesin

I found increasing my hot & spicy foods, and eating lots of veggies/fruits, natural flushing of the body, really helped. Up and down, off and on, like to drive me crazy! But being healthy is soooo much more important, and oh how quickly things change. Does he walk? Walking is good.

And mostly he should,

learn to breathe ...

<< breathe in >> << breathe out >>

in through the nostrils, into the lungs, down to the diaphragm, then a third level, into the gut ...

out through the mouth, relaxing from the stomach and emptying the lungs completely of air ... aahhh

again ....

just feel it .... ahhh ....

He can do it! That drug reaction was scary, I'm glad you sought immediate medical advice. Let us know how things go.

talesin

• chrissee
    chrissee

thanks for all your suggestions. we haven't discussed what his next approach will be to kick the habit. I mentioned maybe acupuncture as another option or maybe even the hypnotism. I will keep you all informed....

And Talesin, he walks all night at work, on his feet for 12 hours straight! and thanks for the breathing lesson, makes me wonder if I've been doing it wrong all these years....??

<< breathe in >> << breathe out >>

in through the nostrils, into the lungs, down to the diaphragm, then a third level, into the gut ...

out through the mouth, relaxing from the stomach and emptying the lungs completely of air ... aahhh

again ....

just feel it .... ahhh ....

Thanks!!

• ballistic
    ballistic

I gave up on Zyban - it really works!!! Well, it did for a year and a half - then I started again. You need a little determination, but the zyban effectively makes you *forget* you're addicted. my advice - do it!

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake

The lozenges worked really well for me. They are really nasty, but I got used to them. I quit even faster than the package recommended. I've been nicotine free since January '04.

I think they worked so well for me because I have an oral fixation and always like to have something in my mouth. I just chew gum now.

• ballistic
    ballistic
    I have an oral fixation and always like to have something in my mouth

errr,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit