How do the Kigdom Melodies compare to Christendom's Songs?

by Honesty 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• nowisee
    nowisee

i am just curious....

when i was coming up there was a green songbook....i can remember the creased and folded covers and how they were handed out at every service meeting....many of the tunes were adoped from "christendom".

then that was changed and there was a new songbook sometime in late 60's/early 70's with a new sort of magenta cover with new original songs that were "untainted". some of the songs were alright, but many seemed forced. the society released a set of recordings on lp's which i played over an over although many were out of tune. i left wts in 75. was there another songbook after that?

thanks, nowisee

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Another one of those militaristic songs is "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" by Julia Ward Howe. Stirring tune, but poor choice of words.

Two of my all time favorites are "Precious Lord" by Tommy Dorsey and "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" by Martin Luther.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

does anyone agree with me that jerusalem..brilliant as it is...would be even better if it was slowed down just a smidgeon

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

No real comparison,imho. There were a few Kingdom melodies I liked-there was one aimed at children, can't remember the name of it. We got the children in our congregatioin together to learn it. They sang it at a congregation get together. It was really cute:)

The first time I went to church, the congregation had a live piano performance, and a very good quartet singing. It was so beautiful, I cried.

I've been listening to Christian songs on the radio a lot lately, because I feel like I know so very little about them (my children tease me about my new obsession, lol). The different types of music alone is mind blowing to me. I'm still not sure about the difference between praise music, worship music, hymns, etc, lol.And now I know how newcomers at the kingdom hall felt when they were stumbling their way throught the songs. I know so few of them, and I used to go to church when I was a kid!

For those of you who like Amazing Grace, Tod Agnew has created a version of it called "Grace Like Rain". It's kind of "Amazing Grace" for the younger generation-a little more "edgy". I really like it. But I like the original version, too.

I like alot of the older hymns.The first one I really came to appreciate was "For the Beauty of the Earth." I heard that one on the movie "Little Women" (the one with Wynona Ryder), and fell in love with it. And I was JW then;)The cool thing is, the second time I set foot in a church after leaving the JWs, they sang that song.

Nowisee,
    Yes, there was at least one more song book I know of. It was in use the whole time I was in, and had a tan cover. I believe they are still using it.

• zaphod
    zaphod

i think that the control aspect of the dubs is encapsulated in the song,

let's watch how we walk and watch how we talk, etc.

my new "worldly" friends were gobsmacked when they heard the lyrics. but i guess i just sang along not realising what i was singing.

i also used to wonder about the kingdom melodies being divinely inspired. lots of them have the almost the same melodies of hymns that i have heard.

zaphod

• Rex
    Rex

Jerusalem Did you know that Emerson, Lake and Palmer covered this hymn in a album called, "Brain Salad Surgery"? Man that is an awesome hymn and I am a baritone/tenor singer. I am going to try and find the performance tape and sing it in church! God Bless, Rex

• Rex
    Rex

How Great Thou Art Here ya go, bro! E7 A D O Lord my God! When I in awesome wonder A E7 A Consider all the works Thy hands have made, E7 A D I see the stars, I hear the mighty thunder, A E7 A Thy power throughout the universe displayed. D A Then sings my soul, my Savior God to Thee; E7 A How great Thou art! How great Thou art! D A Then sings my soul, my Savior God to Thee; Bm E7 A How great Thou art! How great Thou art! When through the woods, the forest glades I wander And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze... And when I think that God, His Son not sparing, Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in; That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing, He bled and died to take away my sin... When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart! Then I shall bow in humble adoration And there proclaim, my God how great Thou art! ©1953, 1955, Manna Music Words and Music by Stuart K. Hine Higher Praise™ Higher Praise Christian Center™ higherpraise.comhigherpraise.orgHigherpraise.net™ © Copyright 1999, Higher Praise™ HigherPraise™,Inc. All rights reserved. Terms of Use Enjoy A Life Changing Experience Home

• potleg
    potleg

When I was a kid growing up and going to school in England, every morning, at school there would be hymns sung and prayers too. Of course yours truely wasn't allowed to participate so I had to wait outside but I could hear the songs and to be honest I liked them and often wished that I could join in. I loved Jerusalem and Onward Christian Soldiers...they were so stirring, unlike the monotone junk at the KH. Its amazing how many hymns I seem to have picked up this way and I still enjoy them today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit