How can you be raised in the 'truth' and not be one

by Satanus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

From some of the posts, it seems that the innate attitudes of independent and do it my way have a lot to do w resisting the wt as a child, and/or escaping early.

S

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Satanus,

GF

You may not have beaten them . The bible sez your suppoz ta beat em wif a rod in order to teach em the ways of the lawd.

Yeah, well...by the age of four, they were able to outrun me.

GentlyFeral

• M.J.
    M.J.

<<reading intently on how to immunize my kids against indoctrination>>

• seawolf
    seawolf

I never bought it despite my best efforts to try and buy it. I just went because I had to and then because I was bored. I'm naturally a skeptical person and to me too much of what they were saying just never passed the bull**** detector test. Too many things I'd ask "why?" and their answer made no sense to me. Too many answers were along the lines of "Well, that's just the way things are." uh ok.

• Es
    Es

I think there was a time when i did believe in it. I also was brought up in the truth but now looking back i just accepted it rather than believed it. It was all I knew I never got a chance like many of you to experience to world as a teenager as i would have probably left before i did es

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

My excuse is that I had a large extended family that was 90% dub. That means there's an immense pressure to confrom. It worked. Very few of my cousins have left the dubs.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    LisaBobeesa, what games did you dad play with you to help you learn critical thinking? Any examples would be helpful.

He was big on games like Master Mind that teach 'cracking the code,' by use of deductive logic. There were lots of other games, like Othello etc, but I'm not sure if they relate. The biggest thing was he encouraged big talks (arguements) about topics that had no real answer. He would point out problems with my logic, and I think I learned the most from that. (I also learned that you can't win an arguement with him, even if you win it.) All I know is that how he taught me to think and argue forced me to see problems with the WT that he himself could not seem to see. I will never understand it.

• DHL
    DHL
    What quality does a kid need to have in order to remain free of the indotrination?

I grew up in the org. My parents were - and still are - 150% JW. My dad beeing elder and my mum out in field service all the time. How I broke free:

I have always been reading. I learned to read even before I went to school. I read all kind of books, sure enough at least half of all books at our local library.

When I turned 11 or 12 I was curious about other religions. Not because I was in doubt about the one I had but because I have a natural interest in all kind of things. My parents strongly discouraged me - in words and also by taking the rented books from my room while I was at school - but I didn't give up reading, instead I started reading in the library building.

At about the same time I watched a woman leaving who had entered the org 2 or 3 years prior. She ended up beeing df'ed and treated very bad. What disturbed me about that was that this woman was in fact a true angel. She had a heart of gold! But the people at the KH treated her like she was the worst person on the planet when in fact she was one with a warm heart and an always peaceful attitude.

To sum this up:

I fed my brain from an early time in my life, all the brain food made me thinking a lot which made me an independent thinker, I have always been curious and open to all kinds of things, I always had a strong will (that's in my genes I suppose), and I always hated it when people were unkind towards each other.

So that was all it needed. I made my decision and then went straight to my parents and told them I wouldn't get into their footsteps. I just walked out of it and never turned around again to look back. I was strangely unimpressed by then.

I also remember asking my parents during that conversation, why they needed a whole hour or so to prepare for the wt study (reading, underlining, reading, underlining,...) while I was able to do the same within say 5 minutes and anyway be able to give answers in my own words. I remember thinking the whole thing was for stupid people only. I even told my parents so point blank knowing that my parents were actually quite intelligent folks. But watching their reaction I realised they were absolutely brainwashed.

• Satanus
    Satanus

DHL

Thanks for outlining your exit. I'm glad for you.

Thankyou also to lisabobeessa, seawolf, chrisvance and es and the others.

S

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"How can you be raised in the 'truth' and not be one"

Because I looked around & understood that it wasn't 'da troof'. I decided it was bullshit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit