Another example of a loving God.

by jula71 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jula71
    jula71

The thing is, stories like this challenge my belief in the bible, if I even still believe at all. It just defies logic and the WT explanations are usually more absurd.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Blonde:
    1Sam.21:6; John 8:3-11.

• mnb77
    mnb77

In those times children paid for the sins of the father. I honestly cant see this a okay but during those times, that was the way it worked. It was a sort of punishment for david because sons at that time were "inheritance" look in psalms or proverbs cant remember and girls were only "presents".

hope that helps understanding

mnb77

• Daunt
    Daunt

The Watchtower always helped me to pinpoint the absurdity of the scriptures. Kind of thank it for that in a way. The good or bad are twisted to control people.

• Scully
    Scully

I was looking through the newest WT just to see what "new light" there is now. I came across the Questions From Readers, and I was amazed by what I read. From the May 15, 2005 WT, the question was "Why were David and Bath-Sheba not put to death for committing adultery, whereas their newborn son died?" Pretty good question, I wondered how they would skate over it. Here's what they had to say, taken from the last paragraph.

"But we must remember that if the case had been handles by human judges, the parents as well as the unborn child in the womb would have lost their lives. The loss of the son might also have helped David to realize more keenly how displeased Jehovah was with his sin with Bath-Sheba. We can be confident that Jehovah dealt with the matter justly, for "perfect is his way.""

I read that and I couldn't believe the reason they gave! The innocent child was killed to teach David a lesson? Does that even start to make sense? What kind of a loving God would kill an innocent child to punish the parents?

How about my most likely scenario, David was King. He made the rules, pretty much no way the High Priest was going to drag him outside and stone him. And the child, I would imagine a pretty bad infant mortality rate for that area and time. Not uncommon for a child, newborn, to pass away. Just thought I'd share the latest WT gem. Enjoy!!

This is a perfect example, imo, of how the WTS trains its followers to not accept responsibility for their actions and choices. In fact, it seems clear to me that this account has been used to demonstrate the reason why the leadership of the WTS is unwilling to accept the responsibility and consequences of rules that they shove down the throats of their followers. To their way of thinking, followers are disposable, but "leaders" are not. If you lose a few "followers" for the sake of maintaining power and leadership, it's a price the leaders are willing to pay.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

It never happened, it's a work of fiction.

• garybuss
    garybuss
    Oxnard Hamster wrote:
    What do you consider to be the worst Bible stories? What do you consider to be good Bible stories? Please elaborate.

Think about this. Where do the Jehovah's Witnesses get their guidelines for their brand of Christianity? From the gospels of Christ or from the Pauline letters?

Are there other stories to write an article about other than the murder of King David's son by god? Maybe they could write an article about Jesus eating with the sinners and the tax collectors or maybe an article about the Samaritan woman at the well. Or maybe these fly too much in the face of the shunning practice promoted by the printing corporation.

• SeymourButts
    SeymourButts

Ezek. 9:6 says, "Slay utterly old and young, both maids and little children, and women...." and 1 Sam. 15:3 says, "...slay both man and woman, infant and suckling...." Deut. 21:18-21 "If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son, who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and, though they chastise him, will not give heed to them, then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city...and they shall say to the elders of his city, 'This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard. Then all the men of the city shall stone him to death with stones; so you shall purge the evil from the midst". Prov. 20:30 RSV "Blows that wound cleanse away evil; strokes make clean the innermost parts". Hosea 13:16 "Samaria shall become desolate: for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword; their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up". Isa. 13:16-18 "Their infants will be dashed in pieces before their eyes; their houses will be plundered and their wives ravished.... Their bows will slaughter the young men; they will have no mercy on the first of the womb; their eyes will not pity children".

• jula71
    jula71
    This is a perfect example, imo, of how the WTS trains its followers to not accept responsibility for their actions and choices. In fact, it seems clear to me that this account has been used to demonstrate the reason why the leadership of the WTS is unwilling to accept the responsibility and consequences of rules that they shove down the throats of their followers. To their way of thinking, followers are disposable, but "leaders" are not. If you lose a few "followers" for the sake of maintaining power and leadership, it's a price the leaders are willing to pay.

Scully, Interesting point. Leaders are free from taking any responsibility while the R & F are expendable. Pretty funny how this precedent as been around as long as the bible itself. Make's me think of Arron and the "Golden Calf." It was, according to the bible, Arron's lead that made this happen. Thousands were put to death, he was untouched. Funny how things don't seem to change.....

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

Wouldn't it be better for them to disfellowship, not just the individual, but his entire family, in order to fully apply the "principles" of the old testament?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit