Another example of a loving God.

by jula71 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jula71
    jula71

I was looking through the newest WT just to see what "new light" there is now. I came across the Questions From Readers, and I was amazed by what I read. From the May 15, 2005 WT, the question was "Why were David and Bath-Sheba not put to death for committing adultery, whereas their newborn son died?" Pretty good question, I wondered how they would skate over it. Here's what they had to say, taken from the last paragraph.

"But we must remember that if the case had been handles by human judges, the parents as well as the unborn child in the womb would have lost their lives. The loss of the son might also have helped David to realize more keenly how displeased Jehovah was with his sin with Bath-Sheba. We can be confident that Jehovah dealt with the matter justly, for "perfect is his way.""

I read that and I couldn't believe the reason they gave! The innocent child was killed to teach David a lesson? Does that even start to make sense? What kind of a loving God would kill an innocent child to punish the parents?

How about my most likely scenario, David was King. He made the rules, pretty much no way the High Priest was going to drag him outside and stone him. And the child, I would imagine a pretty bad infant mortality rate for that area and time. Not uncommon for a child, newborn, to pass away. Just thought I'd share the latest WT gem. Enjoy!!

• Honesty
    Honesty

Another example of twisted reasoning from the apostate WTBTS.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Children are cheap in the organization. We were worked and abused and then shunned when we objected to it all. The Witnesses model themselves after the worst Bible stories. The good Bible stories are never studied by them unless it's with a downside spin attached.

I think the worst they behave the worst spin they need to put on Bible verses. They get to thinking bad is good.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

"What kind of a loving God would kill an innocent child to punish the parents?" -- YHVH would. the OT is full of that kind of stuff. i can't believe what a bunch of morons run the WTS. i love reading my mags now that i am out...with a gleeful chuckle.

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster
    The Witnesses model themselves after the worst Bible stories. The good Bible stories are never studied by them unless it's with a downside spin attached.

What do you consider to be the worst Bible stories? What do you consider to be good Bible stories? Please elaborate.

How about my most likely scenario, David was King. He made the rules, pretty much no way the High Priest was going to drag him outside and stone him. And the child, I would imagine a pretty bad infant mortality rate for that area and time. Not uncommon for a child, newborn, to pass away.
    Excellent critical thinking.
  • LittleToe
    LittleToe

Or alternatively the kid died and David saw it (and had it recorded) as God exacting revenge...

• El blanko
    El blanko

Daniel CH4 V35

That scripture sums up Yahweh's attitude in the OT towards humans.

The odd thing is Jesus taught that even a humble sparrow was worthy of Gods attention.

All very odd.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome
    Or alternatively the kid died and David saw it (and had it recorded) as God exacting revenge...

LT, pretty much like everything recorded in the bible, people interpreting natural occurances as acts of god?

• blondie
    blondie

I have noticed that the WTS has woven this account and tried to address the questions it brings up in the minds of JWs at least 3 times in the publications in the last few months. Makes you wonder if active JWs are reading JWD and other internet sites and wondering about the questions that are brought up.

Ask yourself why mercy and a major divergence from the Law was shown to David. Adulterers were put to death under the Law. There was no provision for showing mercy to anyone. Why would God show mercy just to David? There is no other account where an Israelite avoided a Law-mandated execution that I'm aware of.

Nathan obviously never reported David and Bathsheba to the High Priest or the older men at the gates.

Why was David given special treatment? Because of the promise to him from God that the throne of Israel would not depart from his family line? While David had other sons, they evidently did not qualify as heirs to the throne. Notice that Solomon had an older brother Adonijah that tried to usurp the kingship from Solomon. The adulterous child was proof of David's sin so had to die (IMO). Then Bath-sheba was allowed to be the mother of the heir, Solomon.

I see an example for elders to justify protecting other elders from the results of their actions.

Mercy for some but harsh treatment for the undeserving rank and file.

Blondie

• z
    z

And don?t forget the messiah will come form David family liane "bean David?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit