No birthday celebrations allowed, but graduation party is OK?

by gaiagirl 21 Replies latest jw friends

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

Things that make you go "hmmmmm": Just learned that an elder I know living near Waco, Texas is hosting a graduation party for his son. Don't remember ever reading of any faithful Christian in the Bible ever having such a party. And to think, all that HONOR and ATTENTION will be focused on a mere human being instead of YHWH.....

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

graduation party...was this for higher education or for just mainstream education?

DB74

• blondie
    blondie

Graduation parties fall under the same category as anniversaries. See there are no Bible accounts of people dying at a graduation party.

g93 3/8 p. 2 Page Two ***
    In some countries, high school graduation includes partying and dancing. It often leads to loose conduct and worse

There are no baptism parties allowed

w95 4/1 p. 30 Questions From Readers ***
    After the act of baptism, our joy does not require a victory parade, a bouquet of flowers, or a party honoring the one baptized.
    Blondie
  • Honesty
    Honesty

We can always count on you, Blondie for taking the joy of serving Joe Hoba with a graduation party for the elder's boy and twisting it into something that is a disgusting thing. Wait until your kids graduate. I'm giving them some real joy in living.... a night on the town and a case of their favorite beverage.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Um, I was at a graduation party where there was an accident and 2 people died :( *sad but true story*

I would think Christian guidelines would make us thing twice about celebrating that.

• rebel8
    rebel8

HS graduation parties were a big deal in my cong. I of course was not allowed to have one because I had an "unbelieving" father (my mother's excuse). I was given a congratulatory card and instructed to appear at my cousin's grad party on the same day. My mom apparently changed her mind when it was time for my younger sibs to graduate; they had big catered parties with hundreds of guests (and they got cars as a gift).

....Yes, I am still bitter.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

You're not bitter ,,,,, you're better !!!

Um, Bitter, table for 2, Bitter table for 2.

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake

Evilforce:

At my graduation party an older brother had a heart attack and almost died. He stopped breathing, but someone gave him mouth to mouth and he was resucitated. Later, it was discussed that maybe his almost dying was a sign of me being evil...because I stopped attending meetings a few weeks later and was disfellowshipped a few months after that.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Hmmm, not sure I've ever seen the Evil Sister Congenital Heart Failure Syndrome in my years.

Well like I've always said JW's are like Catholics with twice the guilt, half the brains, and none of the fun.

• blondie
    blondie

Of course, you realize that these are not accounts in the Bible?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit