Did You Get All "Giddy" When You Saw A Fellow JW???

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Little Red Hen
    Little Red Hen

While I was in, or trying to be, I did. I had a job in a customer service department that handled mail orders. There were a couple of times when I was able to figgure out if the customer was a dub, based on the 'pure language' they used. You know, some of those words we all love to hate. I did ask in a round about way if they were witnesses, and sure enough! For some reason that I can't relate to now, it always perked up my day.

• minimus
    minimus

I remember this dumb friend seeing a man reading a Bible quietly in the subway. She yelled, "HE'S A BROTHER! HE'S A BROTHER!!!" When she got everyone's attention she realized he was reading a King James Version and then started laughing at him because after all, she was a self-righteous JW and he was gonna die.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    I used to embarrassingly get a kick out of going to the conventions and seeing JW families proudly displaying their songbooks and literature strategicially placed in their automobiles for all to see. Some even woyld display YHWH in their windows. Meanwhile everyone in the car would watch to see if other Witnesses would notice and give them a joyful wave. Then there were the JWs that would go on vacation and prominently show their Watchtower and Awakes on the beach or by the pool to see if there were any other "brothers" also on vacation......Was it just me or did you notice such things too??

I think this is merely psychological; when you are a JW you are so cut off from the outside it pleases you to see others around you that are similar. It reinforces a sense of belonging and togetherness and cuts deep into a JW's sense of needing to belong and needing to conform to their surroundings. The WTS would have us believe that this is brotherly love; it isnt it is purely a result of the mindgames played on our vulnerable psyches.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Though my parents were gung ho witnesses, I never remember them putting the magazines in the windows, but I do remember seeing others do it on the way to the assembly. I guess at 8y years old it was exciting.

• minimus
    minimus

Diamond, I agree that it makes the JWs feel S P E C I A L.

• Purza
    Purza
    Looking back, I was such a Dork.

LMAO -- I can relate because I was a dork too!!! I used to get excited when we saw other JWs. Once we were in NY touring the streets in a bus and we saw some women doing street work and the everyone on the bus was waving in excitement. The women looked confused and a little scared.

I can still spot certain JW even today. I will tell my fiancee quietly "hey look -- dubs" and then I will find something to validate my statement. He is always amazed when I am correct.

Purza

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    I agree that it makes the JWs feel S P E C I A L.

Very S P E C I A L indeed.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Yes. Now, I just attribute it to typical cult behavior. No more, No more, No more.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

On my Bethel trip (last week lol), on our "free day" in the city, we drove through the burroughs to go into manhattan. We passed several witnesses doing street witnessing and the bus driver would blow the horn and everyone would wave texts and watchtowers in the windows and them to wave back. I could have died right there.

Ever see anyone at an assembly who you knew from school/work and didnt know they were a witness? I ran into a kid from school at a quick build. we both started laughing do hard we darn near passed out.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Yes, in the early years. I even got teary eyed! But no more. Now I ignore them.

LHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit