Elder w/ bad child or wife, u must step down

by sandy 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sandy
    sandy

I was just reading Tyler's (new member)bio. He was baptized at 11 years old. Jesus Christ! I thought I was young.

When he was df'ed at 13 his father had to step down from his elder position. My question is this:

If a person, child or adult is mature enough to be baptized then why is the parent/husband responsible for their family member's mistake. Why must the elder suffer the concequences by being forced to give up his position?

A person who gets baptized become responsible for their own actions no matter how old they are. As proof in Tyler's case and many others he was df'ed at 13.

This to me is another JW contadiction and one reason I believe minor children should not be baptized.

A parent is stripped of their "privleges" because the child or wife who is supossedly responsible and knows better makes a mistake.

• blondie
    blondie

Only certain elders get this treatment. I have seen others who have lots of money or influence with prominent JWs manage not to be removed.

This is another example of how the WTS walks on both sides of the street; old enough to be baptized, too young to get married.

Blondie

• simplesally
    simplesally

Because the father is supposed to be the head of his house. If he cannot preside over his own house in "fine manner" then they suppose he cannot preside over the congregation very well. He and his family are supposed to be an example to the congregation.

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

It has to do with that scripture (in Timothy?) that a man must be able to preside over his own household before presiding over the congregation, or something to that effect. When my brother and one of his friends got into trouble with drugs, my father voluntarily stepped down as an elder, as he believed he should follow the aforementioned scriptural guideline. The friend's father, also an elder, fought tooth and nail, (including bribery), to maintain his "position". He was forcibly removed...that time anyway. There were other occasions where his bribery had its intended effect.

• carla
    carla

What about a situation like mine? Husband has been studying for about two years, not baptized, not in field service either, (me-not jw, never was, totally anti jw) however, during an argument he said "when he becomes an elder...." . How could he with a wife like me and worldly children? I have heard that they are running low on elders, but, would someone who can't even get his own family in really be considered? That means he would get even nuttier than he is now! I can hardly wait. carla

• sandy
    sandy

Hi carla. Welcome to the board.

I do not have an answer to you question but I am sure someone does.

Good luck with your situation.

• tweety
    tweety
    Only certain elders get this treatment. I have seen others who have lots of money or influence with prominent JWs manage not to be removed.

Blondie is so right with this statement. With the KH that I went to, the family that I was married into are very wealth. Their sons and daughters got a way with everything. Money talks!

Dee

• FairMind
    FairMind

In some congregtions it seems that many of the family groups are related and have been JWs just about forever. This type of situation breeds nepotism and favoritism. The "IN" crowd gets different treatment than the others. A very human thing and not Godly in the least.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings Carla,

Your concerns are well founded. Here's how. Either by blatant brown-nosing, or nepotism. For years we had to listen to the BS of this "elder" whos wife never made any gdamn meetings. He was related to the "presiding overseer/soninlaw" though.

I hope that helps.

PS: Try to make an asserted effort to get him the hell away from them, if you can. Even if it means you have to become anti-jw

Dismembered

"Don't you go dyin' on me now"

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Carla there is an interesting phenomen that your husband might be the subject of.

When a man becomes a JW and his family does not join him then he is considered to be an example of a man who is undergoing trying times and remains faithful inspite of the family. He gets brownie points for that.

Now if the family joined for a while and then left he gets no brownie points or as in the exaple you mentioned when the family rebels then he often loses those points since he would not be presiding over his household in a fitting manner

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit