Tomorrow Is A BIG Day.

by Englishman 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
  • Frog
    Frog

I thought you might have been referring to ANZAC day! (Aust & NZ Army Corps, day)...but of course Footballl is probably a better known insititution...during the AFL (Australian Football League) this weekend before all games the players have to pay tribute to the "diggers" (Aust War Veterans) before kickoff, it's always amusing to see them fumble and mouth their way through the National Anthem...bit like kingdumb melodies lol

• fairchild
    fairchild

Translation for the Americans.. "Football" in the UK is "soccer" in America, not the kind of "football" where they run with the ball in their hands. Everyone probably knows this anyways... just in case somebody didn't.

I so miss soccer.. it was my most favorite sport to watch.

• El blanko
    El blanko

Football

There was a moron wobbling past my house yesterday with England glasses on and a shirt to match, drinking spirits and shouting "engeeeeerrrlaaaaaaaaaand"

Mind you, the masses have to have their alternative religion I suppose. Keeps the plebs in line

• Englishman
    Englishman

It's only 2 hours to go before the biggest rivals in football square up to each other. Portsmouth v Southampton. The twin cities have hated one another for over half a century. It all started when Portsmouth navy dockyard workers went on strike and the Southampton merchant dockers were bussed in to do their work, so reducing the strikes impact. Now, Southampton football club are bottom of the Premier league and travel to Portsmouth to face Pompey, who are only just outside the relegation zone themselves.

It promises to be a red blooded affair.

Englishman.

• Simon
    Simon
    the biggest rivals in football square up to each other. Portsmouth v Southampton.

Uh? The biggest rivals in football? I don't think so ...

Man City v Man Utd
    Liverpool v Everton
    Arsenal v Chelsea (or Spurs)
    Newcastle v Sunderland

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

oh purleeeeeeees

today...in half an hour

rangers v celtic

championship decider???

catholic v protestant

no stadium sharing for these bad boys

• Englishman
    Englishman

Nope, sorry lads, even Man U v Man City doesn't hold a candle to this one.

BTW, we won! Stuffed 'em out of sight!

Englishman.

• fairchild
    fairchild

GGGRRRRRRRR I'm jealous. Wish there was a way I could watch it.

• fairchild
    fairchild

Oh, the good old times. I'm sitting here thinking about soccer. Does anyone remember the world cup game in 1990, where England beat Belgium with 1:0?

I was rooting for Belgium. We had gotten together with a bunch of people, in the living room of a friend who had a big screen TV. We were all having a great time. Screaming and cheering on our team, you know how that goes. Everyone was wearing the Belgian colors, it was soooo much fun. The score was 0:0 after the actual game so they extended the time with twice 15 minutes. Knowing that, if the game would remain scoreless, we would go to penalties, and the Belgian team had one of the best goal keepers in the world, we all crossed our fingers.

About a MINUTE before the very end of the second extention, England scored. Yes, they scored. It got really quiet in the room, nobody said a word. It was horrible, so horrible. It was one of the most disappointing games I'd ever seen. Oh man, oh man...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit