Guns and JWs

by VM44 73 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"Why are those laws NOT being enforced in your opinion?"

Why? If I was to trot out my own personal theory, I'd say that enforcing laws is hard work and generally leads to headlines touting the efforts of the cops and prosecutors who succeed. Drafting new legislation and defaming anyone who doesn't support it generates headlines for the politicians. Introducing new legislation is an opportunity to grandstand: 'Let's do it for the children ...'

But then again, I might be cynical about it.

"If you want no additional moves to be made then just say that the 14 murders per 100,000 is ok in your book. "

First of all, it's not OK in my book. But where did you get that statistic? According to the last FBI statistics I read, the murder rate was estimated at 5.6 crimes per 100,000 inhabitants. Even the BBC pegs the U.S. murder rate at less than 7 per 100,000. Yes, we murder more of our fellow citizens than some other nations. Is it all about gun control? I don't think so.

If anything, look at the U.S. murder rates for the past century. Back when New York City and Baltimore and Washington D.C. had no handgun bans, and other states had no mandatory waiting period, before the National Firearms Act of 1934 & the Gun Control Act of 1968 ... the national muder rate in the U.S. was 1.2 per 100,000. Meanwhile, cities like Baltimore, Washington, and Los Angeles have enacted some pretty tight regulations yet have murder rates that are significantly higher than the national average.

Now, for some real fun? Tour the stats on the overall crime rate in the U.S. in comparison to other countries. Sure, you're more likely to be shot here in the U.S., but you're less likely to be burglarized or assaulted or to have your car stolen. And your likelihood of taking your own life is dramatically lower in the U.S.

I'll take the .357 with a biggie fries and a cherry coke, please.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

LOL, while the cherry coke is funny.. IT WILL KILL YOU... along with most everything else right?

I should have said "gun deaths" not murders....my bad...but not alot of difference in my book.

Here are gun-related deaths per 100,000 people in the world's 36 richest countries in 1994: United States 14.24; Brazil 12.95; Mexico 12.69; Estonia 12.26; Argentina 8.93; Northern Ireland 6.63; Finland 6.46; Switzerland 5.31; France 5.15; Canada 4.31; Norway 3.82; Austria 3.70; Portugal 3.20; Israel 2.91; Belgium 2.90; Australia 2.65; Slovenia 2.60; Italy 2.44; New Zealand 2.38; Denmark 2.09; Sweden 1.92; Kuwait 1.84; Greece 1.29; Germany 1.24; Hungary 1.11; Republic of Ireland 0.97; Spain 0.78; Netherlands 0.70; Scotland 0.54; England and Wales 0.41; Taiwan 0.37; Singapore 0.21; Mauritius 0.19; Hong Kong 0.14; South Korea 0.12; Japan 0.05.

Your mention of grandstanding polictians is quite correct as the Schivo case will attest to.

I guess what I'm getting at is that if the current laws aren't being enforced...then the cops, FBI, etc... don't find them to be effective. Because as in the medical profession 90% of us are all trying to do a good job. But bad laws, guidelines, and such PREVENT us from doing so. So that's my real question...why aren't these professionals doing their jobs? Do you think they "do their jobs" with regards to DUI??? Other crime?

• Outlawed
    Outlawed

Hi, wen I was a JW I also was a member of a shooting club ( Dutch Marines ) and a collector of antique firearms. I dont think it was a big problem (maby a litle strange).

See some of my antiques;

http://websitemaker.kennisnet.nl/JehoshuaFellowship/frameset.htm

Robert

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"IT WILL KILL YOU... along with most everything else right? "

Precisely!

Would it make you feel any better if the majority of those murdered each year in the U.S. were hacked apart with axes or bludgeoned to death instead of being shot?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit