Guns and JWs

by VM44 73 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• avishai
    avishai
    While I am not a supporter of guns or too strict of gun control you must look at Japan, Northern European countries, and other places that have strict gun control limits. THEY HAVE LOWER VIOLENT DEATHS and CRIME. So you cannot make that empty argument without defending that MORE GUNS EQUALS MORE GUN DEATHS. Also, your gun will more than likely used against you in a crime.

Look at the northern European country with the lowest violent crime and gun death rate. See if you can find it and come back.

• avishai
    avishai

The gun ban happened in '83. Rumor has it it was due to a brother shooting an unarmed intruder in his house in Reno, NV.

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser

We don't need to carry swords anymore, we don't pack six-shooters on our hips like some did in the Old West and private handgun ownership is also a relic that needs to die with the past.

The 2nd Amendment doesn't protect the right to private gun ownership without qualification and even assuming that we concede the argument to say that it does the Founding Fathers only conception of guns were single-shot muskets that had to packed, rammed and shot a soft lead ball. They never conceived of a world of automatic and semi-automatic weaponry. If they had such technology it is very unlikely that they would have written the 2nd Amendment as they did.

With that line of reasoning, the 1st amendment shouldn't apply to anything but books, newspaper and giving a speech because that is all they had back then.

What other constitutional changes do you want because they where written 200 years ago?

NYC and Washington DC have strict gun control laws and have the highest crime rates. Areas that have less gun conrol laws have lower crime rates. So if you like strict gun control laws you can stay in Comiefornia and be easy prey for the criminals.

Edited: changed quote, pasted wrong section first time.

• eljefe
    eljefe

Rumor has it it was due to a brother shooting an unarmed intruder in his house in Reno, NV.

Do you know how much validity there is to that rumor?I have never heard anything to that effect.

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

I guess the wts is afraid that one day a jw will drive in with a tank!

then in that case the elders will be to scared to disfellowship ya!

I live in Australia and guns are banned anyways thats why there are less murders in australia!

If the wts doesn't allow weapons then take up karate or kung fu! (your body isn't counted as a weapon is it?)

From Evanescence

• bronzefist
    bronzefist

Glock 23....HK P7M8.....HK USP45 Tactical...Bushmaster AR 15. These are my guns.

I use to say "Guns don't kill people...people who make gunowners angry kill people."

Since I didn't kill the "brother" who had sex with my wife during the District Convention when I was opposed I don't say that anymore.

But since these things happen all the time in Jehovah's organization I can see the GB's concern.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    We don't need to carry swords anymore, we don't pack six-shooters on our hips like some did in the Old West and private handgun ownership is also a relic that needs to die with the past.

I'm not so worried about my fellow man but the idea of a population completely dependant on its government for protection terrifies me. That's placing far too much trust in a government that does not always have my best interests at heart.

J

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

ATLANTA -- The United States has by far the highest rate of gun deaths -- murders, suicides and accidents -- among the world's 36 richest nations, a government study found.
    The U.S. rate for gun deaths in 1994 was 14.24 per 100,000 people. Japan had the lowest rate, at .05 per 100,000.
    The study, done by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is the first comprehensive international look at gun-related deaths. It was published Thursday in the International Journal of Epidemiology.
    The CDC would not speculate why the death rates varied, but other researchers said easy access to guns and society's acceptance of violence are part of the problem in the United States.
    ``If you have a country saturated with guns -- available to people when they are intoxicated, angry or depressed -- it's not unusual guns will be used more often,'' said Rebecca Peters, a Johns Hopkins University fellow specializing in gun violence. ``This has to be treated as a public health emergency.''

Here are gun-related deaths per 100,000 people in the world's 36 richest countries in 1994: United States 14.24; Brazil 12.95; Mexico 12.69; Estonia 12.26; Argentina 8.93; Northern Ireland 6.63; Finland 6.46; Switzerland 5.31; France 5.15; Canada 4.31; Norway 3.82; Austria 3.70; Portugal 3.20; Israel 2.91; Belgium 2.90; Australia 2.65; Slovenia 2.60; Italy 2.44; New Zealand 2.38; Denmark 2.09; Sweden 1.92; Kuwait 1.84; Greece 1.29; Germany 1.24; Hungary 1.11; Republic of Ireland 0.97; Spain 0.78; Netherlands 0.70; Scotland 0.54; England and Wales 0.41; Taiwan 0.37; Singapore 0.21; Mauritius 0.19; Hong Kong 0.14; South Korea 0.12; Japan 0.05.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Eljefe:

your argument is a popular one with pro-gun advocates but it is not only unsubstantiated by facts and real world evidence it is also illogical because it presumes that guns would be easily available to the criminal element.

a. the idea that persons would defend themselves with their own guns against criminals and the implicit assertion that victims of crimes are in fact defending themselves with their guns is just plain unsubstantiated by the real world evidence. Violence is occuring all the time and more often than not it is those with the guns doing the killling, not the vicitms with the guns. If a victim of a crime has gun it is more likely that that gun will be used against them than it is that they would successfully defend themselves, especially since the vast majority of gun owners are probably inadequately trained and it is probably safe to say that 99.9% of gun owners have never been in a situation where they had to or may have had to actually shoot a fellow human being. People are not engaging in shootouts with criminals "holding them off" until the cavalry comes as you so prosaically suggest.

b. With regard to the second point above, what I am suggesting is not just that the laws which permit private gun ownership should be changed so as not to allow it but that more importantly guns should be regulated at the MANUFACTURING/DISTRIBUTION levels.

May I point out to you that it is not so easy for a "criminal" to acquire a STINGER Ground-to-Air Missile. Why? Because the manufacturing of such weaponry is tightly controlled and just who can obtain one is tightly controlled. If guns, ALL GUNS, from hunting rifles to handguns were given the exact same treatment as Stinger shoulder fired missiles then your average criminal who jacks someone for their car or who holds up a market is not going to be able to acquire one. Only the extreme terrorist or deep-pocketed crime org might then be able to acquire guns and it would be much much more easier for law enforcement to track such illegal owners down.

So yes just simply making it hard for the average person would do nothing to keep criminals from getting guns. But if society totally adopted the view point that we are going to treat guns (and bullets) like nuclear material, shoulder fired missiles, hand-grenades, etc. then it would be a completely different story. It is even probable that guns (and bullets) would be so difficult to obtain that many criminals would be reluctant to attempt to commit their crimes with other alternatives and thus crime and violence across the board might drop.

JeannieBeanz:

You raise the other popular fallacy argued by pro-gun supporters. Namely that the "people" need their guns to keep the "government" from overrunning us (and presumably becoming some sort of Nazi state?) as you say you don't "trust the government".

Well I will just skip the "trust" issue and the fundamental argument of just how silly it is to think that the government would do something like that (in this country at least) (we have learned from the past afterall) because these are actually irrelevant.

IF YOU THINK THAT ALL OF THE GUN-OWNERS could somehow thwart the Government in any action that it might take then you are just stupid. Even if EVERYONE owned an automatic or semi-automatic M-16, the populace would NEVER stand a chance against the government which would bring upon the populace the ARMED FORCES which has HELLO! --- F-16s, Apache Gunships, Smart Bombs, Tanks, etc. etc. not too mention TRAINED professional soldiers. (I am afraid you once saw "Red Dawn" and took it for nonfiction.)

So the whole idea that it is an armed populace that is somehow keeping in abeyance the tyrany of the "Government" is sheer nonsense. If the Government/Armed Forces really wanted to they could for all intents and purposes take over full control of the land and all that any "armed" citizens could do would be to continue a futile and ineffective "insurrection." FOR MORE EDUCATION SEE THE WAR IN IRAQ! Certainly the "private gun owners" were not very effective from PREVENTING the government (US led coalition forces) from "taking over the country" and imposing martial law and abridging many fundamental rights and you know what the private gun owners in this country would be no more effective in the same situation either.

-Eduardo

• avishai
    avishai
    So the whole idea that it is an armed populace that is somehow keeping in abeyance the "Government" is sheer nonsense. If the Government/Armed Forces really wanted to they could for all intents and purposes take over full control of the land and all that any "armed" citizens could do would be to continue a futile and ineffective "insurrection." FOR MORE EDUCATION SEE THE WAR IN IRAQ!

Gee eduardo, ever hear of vietnam? We had more guns, big helicopters and planes. They had jack comparitively. We still lost. Why is that?

Oh, yeah, why did we have such a hard time in Somalia, eduardo? And WHY ARE WE HAVING SUCH A HARD TIME IN IRAQ? A war w e were supposed to be in and out of?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit