Comments You Will Not Hear at the 4-24-05 WT Study (Self-Sacrifice) 3-15-05

by blondie 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

Comments You Will Not Hear at the 4-24-05 WT Study (3-15-05 issue)

Review comments will be in black and parentheses ()

WT quotes from today?s WT
    will be in red and quotes ""

Quotes from other sources
    will be in blue

LIVING NO LONGER FOR OURSELVES

"[Christ] died for all that those who live might live no longer for themselves." -2 CORINTHIANS 5:15. (NWT)

And Christ did die for all of us. He died so we would no longer live for ourselves, but for the one who died and was raised to life for us.?2 CORINTHIANS 5:15. (CEV)

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/

Opening Comments

A new magazine issue, a new topic: Self-Sacrifice. But who do you sacrifice your self to? God or the WTS? Is the drop in meeting attendance motivating this and the next article on being slaves of God?

These terms are contrasted with

Self-centered

Competitive

Selfishness

Selfish desires

Self-oriented

Not please self

Distraction

Pleasure-oriented

Leisure

Be kind to yourself

Comfortable course

Personal convenience

These terms

Self-sacrificing

Disown

Whole-souled

Sacrifice personal interests

Put needs of others ahead of your own

Surrender their soul in behalf of others

Torture stake

Surrender whole life

God-oriented

Persecution, contempt, death

Vigorously, zealously

Get rid of all belongings and give to the poor

Motivation (carrot)

What must I do to get everlasting life?

Would mean everlasting life for him

Reward

Privilege

Prospect of eternal life in the future

Does love compel Jehovah?s Witnesses to serve as zealous Kingdom proclaimers or does the fact that the WTS says that their own eternal future depends on their doing it motivate them?

If JWs did not have to turn in their time reports and have weekly doses of indoctrination regarding the preaching requirement for everlasting life, would they go door to door? If a person were to preach but not turn in a time slip, would God still bestow everlasting life on them?

START OF ARTICLE

Paragraph 1

IT WAS Jesus' last night on earth. In just a few hours, he would give his life in behalf of all those who would exercise faith in him. On that night, Jesus told his faithful apostles many important things. Among them was a command regarding a quality that would prove to be an identifying mark of his followers. "I am giving you a new commandment," he said, "that you love one another; just as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves." John 13:34, 35.

He would give his life in behalf of

All those who would exercise faith in him

Identifying mark of his followers

Yes, JWs say they will die for other JWs, but will they live for them? Will they forgo a sports event or a movie to help another one move? Or will they take a Saturday afternoon to visit with an older sister who lives alone? Or will they call to just chat with someone who is ill or depressed without mentioning they haven?t turned in their time slip?

Notice that Jesus did not say it would be love shown outside his followers that would prove they were his followers but how they treated each other.

Are new people love-bombed when they come to the congregation and when they are baptized, dropped like a hot potato, because time cannot be counted and put on a time slip?

Paragraph 2

2 True Christians are to display self-sacrificing love for one another and put the needs of their fellow believers ahead of their own. They should not hesitate even to 'surrender their soul in behalf of their friends.' (John 15:13) How did the early Christians respond to the new commandment? In his famous work Apology, the second-century writer Tertullian quoted others who said of Christians: 'See how they love one another; how they are ready even to die for one another.'

True Christians/ only JWs

Self-sacrificing love/ buzz phrase

Fellow believers/ only JWs

Did the early Christians think of themselves and advertise themselves as witnesses of Jehovah or witnesses of Jesus Christ?

Quote: Tertullian, work Apology

Can the WTS give a more complete attribution?

w93 11/15 p. 21 Be of Good Courage!

The writer Tertullian of the second and third centuries C.E. quoted the words of worldly people regarding Christians when he wrote: "?See,? they say, ?how they love one another . . . and how they are ready even to die for one another.?" (Apology, chapter XXXIX, 7)

Paragraph 3

3 We too must "go on carrying the burdens of one another, and thus fulfill the law of the Christ." (Galatians 6:2) However, selfishness is one of the greatest obstacles to obeying the law of the Christ and 'loving Jehovah our God with our whole heart, soul, and mind and loving our neighbors as ourselves.' (Matthew 22:37-39) Being imperfect, we are inclined to be self-centered. Add to this the stress of everyday life, the competitive atmosphere at school or in the workplace, and the struggle to make ends meet, and this natural tendency is intensified. This inclination toward selfishness is not on the wane. The apostle Paul warned: "In the last days . . . men will become utterly self-centred." ?2 Timothy 3:1,2, Phillips.

Carrying the burdens of one another

w93 5/15 p. 16 "Call the Older Men"

How can we carry one another?s burdens and yet be carrying our own load? The difference in the meaning of the Greek words translated "burdens" and "load" furnishes the key. If a Christian gets into spiritual difficulty that is very burdensome to him, elders and other fellow believers would aid him, thus helping him carry his "burdens." However, the individual himself is expected to carry his own "load" of responsibility to God. The elders gladly carry "the burdens" of their brothers through encouragement, Scriptural counsel, and prayer. Yet, elders do not take away our personal "load" of spiritual responsibility.?Romans 15:1.

But do they offer practical assistance, money, time, food, transportation, nursing care, etc., etc.?

If a brother or a sister is in a naked state and lacking the food sufficient for the day, 16 yet a certain one of YOU says to them: "Go in peace, keep warm and well fed," but YOU do not give them the necessities for [their] body, of what benefit is it? JAMES 2:15-16

Or do they expect the person should eventually be able to carry their own burdens?

w92 12/15 p. 11 Jehovah, the Doer of Wondrous Things

Thereafter, a periodic friendly phone call by the elder can help that one until he (or she) is able at last to ?carry the burden.?

Or should you be careful not to bother the elders?

w88 1/15 p. 28 A Convention That Increased Our Trust in Jehovah

The talk "Be Obedient to Those Taking the Lead" logically came next. Love will help us to be submissive and obedient to congregation overseers and will keep us from becoming impatient because they are not perfect, for neither are we. (Hebrews 13:17) By showing respect for the elders in matters large and small, we help them to bear their burdens instead of adding to them.

Selfishness/ buzz word

Law of the Christ

Jehovah our God/ Matthew 22:37-39/not in any original Greek manuscripts

Imperfect/natural tendency

Self-centered/ buzzword

Phillips translation/the WTS will use another translation to make a point but don?t bring your Phillips Bible to the KH if you are a JW.

Paragraph 4

4 Toward the last part of his earthly ministry, Jesus gave his disciples a three-step process that could help them to overcome selfishness. What was it, and how can we benefit from his instructions?

Blurb page 11: "Be kind to yourself, Lord"

Three-step process/ sounds like you are dyeing your hair

Selfishness/ buzzword

A Sure Antidote!

Paragraph 5

5 Jesus was preaching near Caesarea Phi-lippi in northern Galilee. This peaceful, picturesque area may have seemed more suitable for leisure than for self-denial. While there, however, Jesus began to show his disciples that "he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things from the older men and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised up." (Matthew 16: 21) How shocking this disclosure must have been to Jesus' disciples, for up to then they had expected their Leader to establish his Kingdom on the earth!?Luke 19:11; Acts 1:6.

Leisure, self-denial/ buzzwords

Must have been/ buzz phrase meaning the WTS is reading into the scripture

Establish his Kingdom on the earth

w95 1/1 p. 4 Keep Integrity and Live!

After this, "a great crowd" are gathered to survive "the great tribulation," coming out of it to inherit everlasting life in the realm of God?s Kingdom on earth.?Revelation 7:9, 14-17

Paragraph 6

6 Peter immediately "took [Jesus] aside and commenced rebuking him, saying: 'Be kind to yourself, Lord; you will not have this destiny at all.'" How did Jesus respond? "Turning his back, he said to Peter: 'Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me, because you think, not God's thoughts, but those of men.'" What a contrast there was between the two outlooks! Jesus willingly accepted the self-sacrificing course God had assigned him?one that would lead to his death on a torture stake within a few months. Peter recommended a comfortable course. "Be kind to yourself," he said. Peter undoubtedly had good intentions. Still, Jesus rebuked him because Peter had on that occasion allowed himself to be influenced by Satan. Peter had "not God's mind, but that of men." -Matthew 16:22, 23; footnote.

Be kind to yourself

Now was Peter telling Jesus to take it easy? He had seen Jesus do many miracles; could he not think that Jesus could overcome any opposition?

Get behind me Satan/Influenced by Satan

Was Jesus saying that Peter was demonized? Taken over by the dark side?

Not Gods thoughts

Yet hadnt Peter given up all things to follow Christ? Hadnt he demonstrated he was self-sacrificing?

Self-sacrificing course

According to the WTS what should be the self-sacrificing course?

w03 1/1 p. 11 Now More Than Ever, Stay Awake!

Eduardo and Noemi are convinced that they made the right decision when they sacrificed material comfort in favor of the full-time service.

w03 5/1 p. 27 They Serve the Christian Brotherhood on an International Scale

True, volunteers who leave family and friends make sacrifices to serve their brothers in foreign lands, but they also experience unsurpassed joys.

w03 11/1 p. 15 Faithful Christian Women/Precious Worshipers of God

Many have put aside owning a home or having children
    in order to serve Jehovah more fully. There are those who give loyal support to husbands who serve as traveling overseers, while thousands of sisters serve in Bethel homes around the world. Without doubt, these self-sacrificing women are among "the desirable things of all the nations" that fill Jehovah?s house with glory.?Haggai 2:7.

w03 3/1 pp. 20-21 Make Good Use of Changing Circumstances/Creating a Simpler Life

Jan and his wife, Woth, have three children. Like Pum and his family, Jan made wise use of a change of circumstances. For years, Jan held a well-paying position at a bank and provided a comfortable life-style for his family. However, he felt a growing desire to expand his ministry. He explains: "In the course of my life, my appreciation for the truth deepened, and my love for Jehovah grew." So in 1986, Jan made a change in his circumstances. He says: "I took advantage of a reorganization at the office and began working fewer hours. My amazed colleagues nicknamed me Diwodo because I worked only on dinsdag [Tuesday], woensdag [Wednesday], and donderdag [Thursday]. My salary decreased by 40 percent. I sold our house and bought a houseboat so that we could serve where the need for Kingdom publishers was greater. Later, I took advantage of early retirement; my income went down another 20 percent, but in 1993, I was able to begin serving as a regular pioneer."

Today, Jan is a member of a Hospital Liaison Committee and has regularly served as convention overseer. Despite her poor health, Woth serves as an auxiliary pioneer from time to time. All three children are now married and, with their mates, are zealous ministers of the Kingdom.

Comfortable course

What is considered taking a comfortable course according to the WTS?

w02 2/15 p. 19 Coping With "a Thorn in the Flesh"

Now consider the effect on the Devil, who claims that men serve God only when life is comfortable and uncomplicated.

w01 5/1 p. 14 Maintain Your Joy in Jehovah?s Service

Is the coming Paradise real to me? Do I see myself there? Am I as eager for the end of the present system of things to come as I was when I first learned the truth?? This last question deserves serious thought. Why? Because if we are in good health, earn a comfortable living, and live in a part of the earth that is more or less unaffected by war, food shortage, or natural disasters, we could?at least for the moment?lose sight of the pressing need for God?s new world to come.

Good intentions/ get you nowhere with the WTS. Whereas if you do what the WTS says with bad intentions, thats great.

Paragraph 7

7 Echoes of Peter's words to Jesus can be heard today. The world commonly urges a person to 'be good to yourself or 'follow the course of least resistance.' On the other hand, Jesus recommended a completely different mental attitude. He told his disciples: "If anyone wants to come after me, let him disown himself and pick up his torture stake and continually follow me." (Matthew 16: 24) "These words are not an invitation to discipleship for outsiders," states The New Interpreter's Bible, "but reflection on the meaning of discipleship for those who have already responded to the call of Christ." The three steps that Jesus outlined, as recorded in that scripture, are to be taken by believers. Let us consider each step separately.

World/ anyone who is not a JW

Commonly urges a person to be

Be good to yourself

Follow the course of least resistance

Is that really true? Are JWs surrounded by lazy people who don?t work hard for themselves, their family, their community?

Who run the food pantries?

Who help out the non-JWs and the JWs in disasters?

Who clean up the lakes each year?

Who pick up the dog pucky in the parks?

Take an honest look at your community, your neighbors, your workmates, etc., etc. The vast majority of them are hardworking, caring people.

Disown himself

Who has ownership of you now? God or the WTS?

Paragraph 8

8 First, we must disown ourselves. The Greek word for "to disown oneself" indicates a willingness to say no to selfish desires or personal convenience. Disowning ourselves is not just a matter of our occasionally forgoing certain pleasures; neither does it mean that we become ascetic or self-destructive. We no longer 'belong to ourselves' in that we willingly surrender our whole life and everything in it to Jehovah. (1 Corinthians 6:19, 20) Rather than being self-oriented, our life becomes God-oriented. Disowning ourselves implies a determination to do the will of God, even though this may go against our own imperfect inclinations. We show that we are exclusively devoted to God when we make a dedication to him and get baptized. We then strive to live up to our dedication for the rest of our life.

Selfish desires/ buzzword

Meeting attendance is down

Personal convenience/ buzzword

Meeting attendance is down

Not occasionally forgoing certain pleasures

Like earning a living, looking after sick family

Surrender our life to God or Christ?

Self-oriented/God-oriented

Or WTS-oriented

Will of God/as interpreted by the WTS

Devoted to God or the WTS?

Dedicated to whom?

w85 6/1 p. 30 Subjecting Ourselves to Jehovah by Dedication

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah?s Witnesses in association with God?s spirit-directed organization?

Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in a right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism.

Paragraph 9

9 The second step is that we must pick up our torture stake. In the first century, a torture stake represented suffering, shame, and death. Normally, only criminals were executed on a torture stake or had their dead bodies hung on a stake. By this expression, Jesus showed that a Christian must be prepared to accept persecution, contempt, or even death, since he is no part of the world. (John 15:18-20) Our Christian standards set us apart, so the world may 'speak abusively of us.' (1 Peter 4:4) This could happen at school, at our place of work, or even within the family. (Luke 9:23) Nevertheless, we are willing to endure the world's contempt because we no longer live for ourselves. Jesus said: "Happy are you when people reproach you and persecute you and lyingly say every sort of wicked thing against you for my sake. Rejoice and leap for joy, since your reward is great in the heavens." (Matthew 5:11,12) Indeed, having God's favor is what matters.

Prepared to accept persecution, contempt or even death

Look around at the JWs you know. Are they ready to accept or avoid persecution, contempt or death?

Our Christian standards set us apart

This implies that only JWs have Christian standards.

Worlds contempt because we no longer live for ourselves

Is that why the world has contempt for JWs or is it that the have lied about their past and their present? One standard regarding blood in Bulgaria but another standard elsewhere? Hidden child abuse? Wavering standards on organ transplants?

http://quotes.watchtower.ca/blood-in-bulgaria.htm

www.silentlambs.org

http://quotes.watchtower.ca/transplant.htm

Having Gods favor is what matters

And you can only have God?s favor if you are a JW.

w89 9/1 p. 19 Remaining Organized for Survival Into the Millennium

Only Jehovah?s Witnesses, those of the anointed remnant and the "great crowd," as a united organization under the protection of the Supreme Organizer, have any Scriptural hope of surviving the impending end of this doomed system dominated by Satan the Devil. (Revelation 7:9-17; 2 Corinthians 4:4) They will make up the "flesh" that Jesus Christ said would be saved through the worst tribulation of all human history.

Paragraph 10

10 Third, Jesus Christ said that we must continually follow him. According to An Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words, by W. E. Vine, to follow means to be a companion?"one going in the same way." First John 2:6 states: "He that says he remains in union with [God] is under obligation himself also to go on walking just as that one [Christ] walked." How did Jesus walk? Jesus' love for his heavenly Father and for his disciples left no room for selfishness. "The Christ did not please himself," wrote Paul. (Romans 15:3) Even when he felt tired or hungry, Jesus put the needs of others before his own. (Mark 6:31-34) Jesus also exerted himself vigorously in the Kingdom preaching and teaching work. Should we not imitate him as we zealously fulfill our commission to 'make disciples of people of all the nations, teaching them to observe all the things Jesus has commanded'? (Matthew 28:19, 20) In all of this, Christ left a model for us, and we must "follow his steps closely."-! Peter 2:21.

Continually follow Christ/ Can only follow Christ by following the WTS

No room for selfishness/ buzzword

Needs of others before your own

Exerted, vigorously, zealously/ buzzwords

Follow Christ

If you are not part of the WTS, they feel you cannot follow Christ. The WTS/FDS say they are the only true representatives of Christ on earth.

Awake 1985 4/8 p. 13 The Best Government?Soon! ***

That political elements, represented in the United Nations, will turn against the world empire of false religion to destroy it. But this means they will also eventually turn against the true representatives of God?s Kingdom by Christ, namely, Jehovah?s Witnesses.

Paragraph 11

11 It is vital that we disown ourselves, pick up our torture stake, and continually follow our Exemplar. Our doing so counteracts selfishness?a sure obstacle to displaying self-sacrificing love. Moreover, Jesus said: "Whoever wants to save his soul will lose it; but whoever loses his soul for my sake will find it. For what benefit will it be to a man if he gains the whole world but forfeits his soul? or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?"-Matthew 16:25,26.

Counteracts selfishness/ buzzword

Self-sacrificing love/ buzzword

We Cannot Serve Two Masters

Paragraph 12

12 Some months after Jesus emphasized the need for his disciples to disown themselves, a rich young ruler came up to him and said: "Teacher, what good must I do in order to get everlasting life?" Jesus told him to "observe the commandments continually" and then cited some of them. The young man said: "I have kept all these." The man was apparently sincere and had done his best to obey the commandments of the Law. So he asked: "What yet am I lacking?" In response, Jesus extended to the young man a unique invitation, saying: "If you want to be perfect ["complete," New American Standard Bible], go sell your belongings and give to the poor and you will have treasure in heaven, and come be my follower." -Matthew 19:16-21

Rich young ruler

How many JWs consider themselves rich monetarily? Is having money the impediment to showing self-sacrificing love or is it the love of money as 1 Timothy says?

What good must I do in order to get everlasting life?

Is there anything we can give God or Jesus to earn/buy everlasting life?

Was Jesus saying that there was?

Apparently sincere and had done his best

Isn?t it amazing how the WTS can read hearts not only now but in retrospect?

Go sell your belongings and give to the poor

Think about this; was Jesus saying that JWs today should sell everything and give it the poor? Who are the poor? Just JWs? How many JWs do you know that did this? Those considerred the spiritual leaders in the congregation?

Paragraph 13

13 Jesus saw that for the young man to serve Jehovah whole-souled, he needed to get rid of the big distraction in his life?his material wealth. A true disciple of Christ cannot serve two masters. He "cannot slave for God and for Riches." (Matthew 6:24) He needs a 'simple eye' that is focused on spiritual matters. (Matthew 6:22) Getting rid of one's belongings and giving them to the poor is an act of self-sacrifice. In exchange for this material sacrifice, Jesus offered the young ruler the priceless privilege of amassing treasure in heaven?a treasure that would mean everlasting life for him and would lead to the prospect of eventually ruling with Christ in heaven. The young man was not ready to disown himself. "He went away grieved, for he was holding many possessions." (Matthew 19:22) Other followers of Jesus, however, responded differently.

Blurb page 13: What prevented the young ruler from following Jesus?

Whole-souled/ buzzword

Big distraction, material wealth

Needs a simple eye

Getting rid of ones belongings and giving them to the poor, act of self-sacrifice

Mean everlasting life for him ?CARROT

Does that mean that all JWs have gotten rid of their belongings and given them to the poor?

Maybe the WTS is hinting that they should give everything to the WTS.

Paragraph 14

14 Some two years earlier, Jesus had extended a similar invitation to four fishermen named Peter, Andrew, James, and John. Two of them were fishing at the time, and the other two were busy mending their nets. Jesus said to them: "Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men." All four ultimately abandoned their fishing business and followed Jesus for the rest of their life.-Matthew 4:18-22

Peter, Andrew, James, and John

Ultimately abandoned their fishing business

Ultimately, is right; that had gone back to fishing in the midst of Jesus 3 ½ year time on earth.

Does that mean that JWs abandon their businesses to follow Jesus the rest of their life?

Paragraph 15

15 Many Christians today have imitated the example of the four fishermen rather than that of the rich young ruler. They have sacrificed wealth and opportunity in this world in order to serve Jehovah. "When I was 22, I had to make a big decision," says Deborah. She explains: "I had studied the Bible for about six months, and I wanted to dedicate my life to Jehovah, but my family were very much opposed. They were multimillionaires, and they felt that my becoming a Witness would bring them social disgrace. They gave me 24 hours to decide which I preferred?a life of luxury or the truth. If I didn't cut off all contact with the Witnesses, my family would disinherit me. Jehovah helped me make the right decision and gave me the strength to carry it out. I have spent the last 42 years in full-time service, and I have no regrets whatsoever. By turning my back on a selfish, pleasure-oriented life-style, I escaped the emptiness and unhappiness I see among my family members. Along with my husband, I have helped over a hundred people to learn the truth. These spiritual children are much more precious to me than any material riches." Millions of other Witnesses of Jehovah share her sentiments. What about you?

Many Christians/ only JWs

Many but not all or even most JWs have sacrificed weath and opportunity.

To serve Jehovah/ not Christ

42 year old experience (1963)

Selfish, pleasure-oriented lifestyle

Money = emptiness and unhappiness

Witnesses of Jehovah/ Witnesses of Christ (Acts 1:8); where does it say in the NT that Christians are witnesses of Jehovah?

Paragraph 16

16 The desire to live no longer for themselves has moved thousands of Jehovah's Witnesses to serve as pioneers, or full-time Kingdom proclaimers. Others, whose circumstances do not allow them to share in the full-time ministry, cultivate the pioneer spirit and support the Kingdom-preaching work to the best of their ability. Parents show a similar spirit when they devote much of their time and they sacrifice personal interests in order to give spiritual training to their children. In one way or another, all of us can show that Kingdom interests come first in our lives.?Matthew 6:33.

Pioneers, full-time Kingdom proclaimers

70 hours a month now. Full-time employees work an average of 160 hours a month. Truly full-time proclaimers?

Now the disclaimer so those who aren?t pioneers don?t feel bad

Circumstances do not allow them to share in the full-time ministry, cultivate the pioneer spirit

w87 2/1 p. 15 Doing Our Utmost to Declare the Good News ***

"A FEW years ago, many of us thought that only those with special circumstances could pioneer," wrote a pioneer, or full-time minister, in Japan. "It seems we were wrong. We are learning that only those with special circumstances cannot pioneer."

Parents, sacrifice personal interests in order to give spiritual training to their children

In view of the new program in the KM for parents to study with their children, parents are sacrificing their personal interests according to the WTS.

Since I was a teenager, parents have been hard-pressed to find the time and energy to study the dry and boring WTS publications with their children. In the time of my grandparents, studying with family was hardly ever done. The people who write these articles don?t have children so have no clue.

Whose Love Compels Us?

Paragraph 17

17 Displaying self-sacrificing love is not the easiest course to follow. But think of what it is that compels us. Paul wrote: "The love the Christ has compels us, because this is what we have judged, that one man died for all... And he died for all that those who live might live no longer for themselves, but for him who died for them and was raised up." (2 Corinthians 5:14,15) It is the love of the Christ that compels us to live no longer for ourselves. What a powerful motivation that is! Since Christ died for us, do we not sense the moral obligation to live for him? After all, gratitude for the depth of the love that God and Christ have shown us compelled us to dedicate our lives to God and become disciples of Christ.?John 3:16; 1 John 4:10,11.

Self-sacrificing love/ buzzword

Love of Christ compels

Or the desire to living forever on a paradise earth?

Moral obligation/ that isnt that a motivating phrase

Disciples of Christ/ arent they part of Christendom? Oh, for once the WTS puts Christ in the picture.

Paragraph 18

18 Is living no longer for ourselves worthwhile? After the rich young ruler rejected Christ's invitation and went away, Peter said to Jesus: "Look! We have left all things and followed you; what actually will there be for us?" (Matthew 19:27) Peter and the other apostles had truly disowned themselves. What would be their reward? Jesus first spoke of the privilege they would have of ruling with him in heaven. (Matthew 19:28) On the same occasion, Jesus referred to blessings that every one of his followers could enjoy. He said: "No one has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for my sake and for the sake of the good news who will not get a hundredfold now in this period of time ... and in the coming system of things everlasting life." (Mark 10:29, 30) We receive much more than what we have sacrificed. Are not our spiritual fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, and children much more valuable than anything we have renounced for the sake of the Kingdom? Who had the most rewarding life?Peter or the rich young ruler?

Blurb page 15: Love compels Jehovah's Witnesses to serve as zealous Kingdom proclaimers

Living no longer for ourselves/ but for the WTS

We have left all things and followed/ the WTS

What would be their reward?

What was the reward offered to Christians? Ruling forever in heaven with Jesus.

Jesus referred to blessings that every of his followers could enjoy.

Implying that all his followers were not going to heaven.

In the coming system of things everlasting life (CARROT)

Who had the most rewarding life?Peter or the rich young ruler?

Does the Bible say what happened to the rich young ruler? Couldnt he have changed his mind later down the road? That would mean according to the WTS doctrine, that he too is ruling in heaven with Christ.

Paragraph 19

19 By his words and deeds, Jesus showed that happiness comes from giving and from serving, not from selfishness. (Matthew 20: 28; Acts 20:35) When we no longer live for ourselves but follow Christ continually, we find great satisfaction in life now and have the prospect of eternal life in the future. Of course, when we disown ourselves, Jehovah becomes our Owner. We thus become slaves of God. Why is this slavery rewarding? How does it affect the decisions we make in life? The next article will discuss these questions.

Happiness comes from giving and serving, not from selfishness

Wake up out there in the JW KHs! You arent giving enough money and time to the WTS. What a selfish lot you are!

Follow Christ the WTS continually

LAST CARROT ALERT!!!!!

We find great satisfaction in life now and have the prospect of eternal life in the future

But only the prospect, dont get overconfident.

Jehovah becomes our Owner/ or does the WTS own you

Find out next week.

Are you slaves of God or slaves of the WTS?

It affects the decisions you make , and right now too many JWs are not making the right decisions according to the WTS.

Concluding Comments

Well, folks, this is basically only the windup for next week when the ball is let fly. Selfishness abounds in the WTS. Money is not flowing and the people are not going, to the meetings.

Words for next week

Slavery

Fair, humane

Voluntary servitude

Foregleam

Willing slaves of God

Legal property

Obedience is proof of our love

Making decisions

Marry only in the lord

Unbeliever

Slaves of men

Unpopular

Peer pressure

Christian

Stand out as different

Humble

Special responsibility

All of us are slaves

Baruch, Moses

Personal desire

Good for nothing slaves

Please himself

Own comforts

Publications of the FDS

Push ourselves

Attend meetings

Submission

Comforts of the world

20 year old experience (1985)

best use of our time, energy, talents

Personal sacrifices

Everlasting life

For all eternity

Questions

1, 2. What Scriptural command moved Jesus'first-century followers to overcome selfishness?

3, 4. (a) Why should we counteract selfishness? (b) What will we consider in this article?

5. While preaching in northern Galilee, what did Jesus disclose to his disciples, and why was that shocking to them?

6. Why did Jesus strongly rebuke Peter?

7. As recorded at Matthew 16:24, what course did Jesus outline for his followers to take?

8. Explain what it means to disown yourself.

9. (a) When Jesus was on earth, what did a torture stake represent? (b) In what way do we pick up our torture stake?

10. What is involved in following Jesus continually?

11. Why is it important that we disown ourselves, pick up our torture stake, and continually follow Jesus Christ?

12. 13. (a) What was a matter of concern to the young ruler who asked for Jesus' advice? (b) What counsel did Jesus give the young man, and why?

14. How did four fishermen respond to Jesus' invitation to follow him?

15. How did one modern-day Witness of Jehovah make sacrifices to follow Jesus?

16. How can we show that we no longer live for ourselves?

17. What motivates us to make sacrifices?

18. Why is a self-sacrificing course worthwhile?

19. (a) On what does true happiness depend? (b) What will we consider in the following article?

Do You Recall?

Why should we counteract our selfish tendencies?

What does it mean to disown ourselves, pick up our torture stake, and follow Jesus continually?

What motivates us to live no longer for ourselves?

Why is living a life of self-sacrifice worthwhile?
  • garybuss
    garybuss

I always get warm and fuzzy when I read about shunning relatives.

• blondie
    blondie

JWs and the WTS only like it when they are doing the shunning because that means they think they are on the moral high road. Being shunned for no apparent reason made me start taking a good hard look at the WTS claim to God's backing.

Blondie

• Mystery
    Mystery

My niece's are all peddling this crap. Yes, we are pioneering. We are serving Jehovah. We will survive Armageddon! They are 15, 16 and 17.

Thank you for your breakdown Blondie, I always enjoy reading them.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I was AMAZED to learn THEY don't like BEING shunned:-) They're making the stew but I'm controlling the fire. Hahahahaha

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Blondie,

Thanks for the quotes from the WT. I really feel sad for the poor JWs that have to listen to this sh#t and feel guilty and worthless all because they didn't do thier utmost in being good for nothing worthless slave to the wishes of the Governing Body who direct the WT to write this crap.

Karma,,, bad karma,,,,, bad bad bad karma, for the manipulators of over six million trusting followers.

• Flash
    Flash

Hello Blondie. I like the larger type it's much easier to read .

3 ".... selfishness is one of the greatest obstacles to obeying the law of the Christ and 'loving Jehovah our God with our whole heart, soul, and mind and loving our neighbors as ourselves.' (Matthew 22:37-39) Being imperfect, we are inclined to be self-centered..."

Before the rebellion all the Angels were perfect. Adam and Eve were also perfect. Why must we always blame imperfection for our own poor judgement?

Must have been/buzz phrase meaning the WTS is reading into the scripture

Absolutely. They're speculating and stating their opinions as fact.

Blondie, I have to run out, I'll finish your review this evening. For the record though, your the type of thinking/questioning woman that would make an excellant Elder/Overseer.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

carry on carrying the burdens of one another = help them to do more field service . As usual Blondie well researched and critiqued. BIG THANKYOU

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

By turning my back on a selfish, pleasure-oriented life-style, I escaped the emptiness and unhappiness I see among my family members. Along with my husband, I have helped over a hundred people to learn the truth. These spiritual children are much more precious to me than any material riches."

Apparently she couldn't control herself if she had any money. Instead of simply having the money to do good with various causes, she chose to only help other people feel guilty, worthless, and judgemental. "Over a hundred people LEARN the truth"....not STILL IN the truth.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    My niece's are all peddling this crap. Yes, we are pioneering. We are serving Jehovah. We will survive Armageddon! They are 15, 16 and 17.

Yes....one of mine is too.....all freshly baptised from one of the recent circuit assemblies. She used to be a nice girl, but has turned into one of the most prudish, pompous, self-righteous asses I've ever seen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit