do i have any rights?

by zaphod 13 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• zaphod
    zaphod

i sent a letter to the elders before i got df'd and i would like it back.

i was not of sound mind (in my opinion) when i wrote it and foolishly disclosed stuff that i would rather was not in their hands.

does anyone know if i can get it back? and if so, do you think that they will retain a copy?

zaphod

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Man I'm sorry but I don't think you'd be able to get it back, and even if somehow you *did* manage to, I'm 99.9% certain they would keep a photocopy in your file.

• kls
    kls

Have to agree with Dan ,just forget it ,,,,,,,sorry

• zaphod
    zaphod

hi dan

i read your biog and see that you sent a letter too.

i feel such a jerk for sending one but i could not bear the thought of going into intimate detail in front of three elders.

i know now that i should have just ignored the system and left. hindsight is a beautiful thing.

is this practice of keeping the letters just their practice? is there some real life legal way of getting these things back?

zaphod

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i wouldnt think you have any rights legally...you sent it to them so it is their property now...but i dont think they are allowed to keep it on file..i think they are only allowed to take a note of the fact that you sent a letter and the jc that witnessed it...if you had an elder you were close to you could appeal to them thru him on your 'diminished mental capacity at time of writing' and you may be accommadated ...you would have been by me...so there may be someone in your ex cong that would be understanding

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

If it's damaging to the WT your safe, if it's damaging to only you? Well I'm sorry to hear that.

HCM

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    but i dont think they are allowed to keep it on file

Really? They don't keep your DA letter in your publisher file? I thought that was standard practice. I would think that they would have to, just in case you ever were to deny having sent it.

• zaphod
    zaphod

tijkmo

if you had an elder you were close to you could appeal to them thru him on your 'diminished mental capacity at time of writing' and you may be accommadated ...you would have been by me...so there may be someone in your ex cong that would be understanding

i can't recall there being even one elder that i was close to. in nine years i never went over their doorstep for any reason other than field service meetings or book studies. they partook of my hospitality though, bless them.

i once asked for help with my family bible study (i'm a single mother with three fatherless boys, one literally as his father died when he was two and the younger ones because of divorce) and was curtly told that it was my responsibility and that was that. now that i am no longer "in" i cannot imagine that they would be more accommodating.

i guess i'll just have to get over it. just makes me feel a bit sick inside, sometimes.

you sound like you were a nice elder, if that's not a contradiction in terms. a nice bloke, anyway.

zaphod

• blondie
    blondie

If you really live in the UK, the Data Protection Act might cover this. Okay, all you UK JWD people, what do you say?

Blondie

• zaphod
    zaphod

thanks blondie

oh, i really live in the uk.

nobody outside of lincolnshire knows that lincolshire exists let alone the rest of the world lol.

zaphod

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit