Ah! Thursday! Meeting Night!

by Nosferatu 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Flash
    Flash
    How did you react to the sudden free time? Did it take a while to get used to?

For the first two years my 'conditioning' caused me to sometimes feel awkward even uncomfortable, for the most part I felt relief that my time was now my own. Its year 3 for me and except for a little inner wrestling about going to the Memorial (which I didn't attend) I am now free of ALL guilt!

• Es
    Es

I kinda fell into the routine pretty quickly of having those nights off free. Sometime i go to ring my mum and have to think if its a meeting night for her

• Honesty
    Honesty
    This is soooo freaky seeing how people throw away Jehovah's provisions of the meetings and they don't even care. Reminds me of Esau and how he dispised spiritual things. But hey, it is your problem.

I threw away any guilt feelings about not attending meetings when I disfellowshipped the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses for apostasy.

• blondie
    blondie

The service meeting was the worst meeting of all five. The elders who had parts rarely prepared, and we could all tell. It's a good thing the WTS provides the questions for the parts now. Otherwise it would be, "what is God's name" "who is his son", etc.

Like someone putting raw eggs on your plate.

2 hours is too long for a meeting on a week night. I can remember trying to get my homework done when my teachers conspired to all give me long assignments on Thursday due the next day.

I''d put the public talk in #2 spot, but just barely. Week after week of incompetent, unprepared, unexciting speakers from other congregations.

Blondie

• IT Support
    IT Support

Blondie,

The elders who had parts rarely prepared,

What do you mean? I'd spend at least an hour preparing while hurtling along the motorway at 70mph (ok, maybe 80mph) every Thursday after work.

It's a good thing the WTS provides the questions for the parts now.

Do you mean they now put questions in the km?

Otherwise it would be, "what is God's name" "who is his son", etc.

I hated that, when speakers asked such stupid questions.

COs were the main culprits. My kids used to sink lower in their seats so he wouldn't see them and drop on them. "Alright," he'd say, not getting any offers from the kids, "any of the adults then!"

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Nosferatu

Same here, at first there was even a twinge of gulity conscience. But now the thought dosen't even cross my mind, and when it does my wife & I say "imagine if we had to go to a meeting tonite, or, can you believe all those nuckle-heads have to go to the meeting tonite" We do not miss it one iota. As I've posted here before. We look foward to not going.

Dismembered

"Don't you go dyin' on me now"

• JBean
    JBean

Hi everyone! Haven't been posting here in about a year... not for any other reason than my life is going most excellently now and I've been so busy with work, social life, etc. that I log on just to read about what's going on and to keep up with stuff... but haven't had too much reason to write. HAD to reply to this post though... oh my goodness... my weeks now are SO relaxed without having to go to meetings on top of meetings!!! I get to watch "the IDOL" on Tuesdays but then have to report it in detail to my mom, who goes to the hall and unfortunately doesn't get to see it! She says she'd rather be at the hall, but I don't buy it. hee! Comments about being able to take courses, sports, etc. rather than sit in a chair listening to the safe stuff over and over again are so true... my life has become everso much richer in the past few years. (Not to mentioned getting to join co-workers for happy hours on Thursdays now!!! very festive!) Anyhow... just wanted to touch base. Hope everyone is well. Jbean

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit