Were you criticized for being outspoken & lacking tact?

by LongHairGal 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I could be here all day telling you how much I was ostracized for being outspoken or just giving my personal opinion. The most memorable to me came from my bible study conductor Maggie, she told me that I was to rebellious and opinonated and that I should never get married, that way I would never have to be under "husbandly subjection" *FYI* I was only a kid

DL76

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Dragonlady:

I also had that said to me too! I was told perhaps I had the gift for singleness! That must mean having a brain and not being willing to swallow everybody's bull!!

I am convinced they are all about "getting over" on everybody. This is all about feeling good at your expense! They are heavy-duty into exploitation. They just don't want you opening up your mouth about it. Besides, I couldn't stay with somebody who didn't appreciate my intelligence.

LHG

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

LHG,

JW's are for the most part tactless people. They live and breath looking down on others and finding faults. They think they are "good intentioned"

DL76

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

Definitely opinionated here...

Been that way since birth and plan to always state what is on my mind. I'm not rude, but I'm also not going to play games.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

well i like women with opinions

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I was told I intimidated people at times. But it was usually my fellow elders so I didn't work on it much.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Re: Were you criticized for being outspoken & lacking tact?

You bet, I was only ever able to attain the 1st stripe (menstral servant) within the ranks of dubdom. I was told by one of the two stripers/elders: "Your name came up last night for appointment during the CO's visit, but you have a big mouth/non-conformist. Screw them!

Dismembered

Cripes!

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

LHG, I was always "socially awkward" because I literally grew up in a very small town in upstate NY near the Canadian border, and other than my immediate family, who were constantly fighting with each other, I had no outside exposure to gain social skills. By the time I was 14, I had already been "nabbed" by the dubs and felt obligated to study the Bible to make my mom happy. Plus I was interested in certain subjects, and lonely for company, since we were living in the boonies. A Special Pioneer sister was the first one to study with me and my sis. Anyhoo, with that background, others always seemed to have more tact and skill with social situations, so I naturally felt I was the one that had problems. I did, don't get me wrong, and I need to be honest, but, it took me many years and tears, to overcome my bluntness. LOL.........I remember one time a good friend, who was also a pioneer telling me that "you have the tact of an elephant in heat!" after I had made a very sweet sister cry. I, too, learned to shut up in groups because I always seemed to put my big ol' country foot in my mouth.

Terri

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    Part of my self-deprogramming was to study etiquette and interpersonal boundaries, so I would know how to act in society. I had few people skills when I left the dubs because I had little exposure to anyone who acted normally.

Rebel8, what a cool idea! Kudos to you for taking responsibility and bettering yourself!!!

I notice you are from New York........upstate or very generally, what part of the state?

• oldflame
    oldflame

It was my out spokeness that got me into trouble with the JW's and my JW mother. You are exactly right about this. Jw's do not like people who speak up and tact ? yeah I guess I could learn how to use tact a little better, but I am one person who when has something to say even if it hurts I say it. That just drives a JW nuts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit