Please share your Quick Build Experiences here...

by jeanniebeanz 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Some great memories and experiences. Thank you for sharing.

I only worked on one quick build. I was there at 5:30 in the morning and stayed until past 10pm. I worked my ass off and by day four was sicker than a dog from something I ate there. I dragged myself back to the hall at 7 am and was soundly scolded by the kitchen super. What incredible nerve. There had been several people over the course of the past three days who had not shown at all for their scheduled time, and I had stayed to cover every one of their 'shifts'. To get reamed like that, at 7 am after volunteering to help for three full 17 hour days in a row and sick, it was all I could do to keep myself from telling him to *uck himself and leave.

I did leave but after the breakfast was served.

There was a lot of asbestos pulled out of the old building that day and snuck into the garbage bins to head off to the dump. I asked about the stuff because I recognized it, but was told that I was to keep quiet or the project would be shut down. I wonder to this day if that stuff hurt the brothers who were ripping it out completely unawares of what was in the dust they were covered in. What an idiot I was. I should have gone to the building inspector who was on site, but like a good little sheep, I didn't bleat a word. In fact, this is the first time I have ever said a word...

J

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

jeannie with that kinda commitment you woulda been welcome on my team anyday of the week and twice on sunday....i have to say that of all the organizational pursuits, quickbuilds were my least favorite..i was usually excited to begin with but 20 hr days for 4 days running just made me ill..constant migraines...but the team of sisters were brill and would carry on working as long as somebody needed feeding ..and that was normally continually...its one of the few things..(along with elders meetings) that i no longer miss......

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

Not many fond memories of quick builds here.

My hubbie was always in them, being a carpenter. Mosly i remember hanging around filthy wet building sites for him to finish, usually late at night. Unless you had a particular job to do you were not allowed on the site, even just to go say hi to your hubbie. ( I used to go in and help him, but I got sick of sexist brothers reckoning I couldn't help properly, little did they know i probably knew more than they did about building, I spent a lot of time on building sites)

When we had kids he used to go alone. Left me with the kids all weekend alone, didn't mind that soo much. But when he'd come home he'd be exhausted and real cranky for the rest of the week. Guess who copped it, yep me and the kids.

In the end I grew to loathe them.

• alw
    alw

my first q.b.was here in aussie, we just turned up and asked if we could help.

i was asked to stand on the scaffolding and service the brickies.when they needed more cement for the bricks.i was to shout down to the mixing bros in a loud voice "MORE MUD" and they like good dubs would mix a batch.

simple task,eh! something you need to know about aussies is they pronounce mud as mad.

so when i shout at the top of my voice"MORE MUD" to them it sounds like "more muuood" because of my very broard northern english accent, so 12 brickies and a number of others all start shouting in immitation of my english accent "MORE MUUOOD, MORE MUUOOD, i instantly go red as a beetroot, as i am in full view of everyone on site, and we all had a good laugh.

after that we were invited to go along to many q.bs and all our memories of those are good ones.

mr.alw

• madteach
    madteach

Worked many quick builds. Was part of the regular HVAC crew in northern Indiana. Most of my close friends were also. Aways had a blast. I rememer one time on a remodel, being up in the rafters when it was over 100 degrees, The only air I felt was over a hole about the size of a pencil in the ceiling(my floor) and getting the breeze on my face to cool down. But all in all it was a great time. Some of the workers were a bit posessive of their tools. One guy from our our cong. who was an odd bloke, also and elders son, killed himself with a shotgun in his driveway after having a fight with his wife. Sooooooo, not all who are there at those builds are the cream of the crop!

• madteach
    madteach

What is a DUB?

• mouthy
    mouthy

As you all know my hubby was NOT a JW,,,,But a couple of brothers ?sucked up to him one time in Elmira Canada where they had a QB going on- they told me( out of his earshot) it would make him feel important. Well he did go for the morning, and all hell broke out for me when he came home " He said what a wicked bunch!!!! they tell you not to give your kids blood tranfusions- then they allow them climbing on a roof, stepping on nails etc:I cant watch an accident waitng to happen" So Of course I was in the dog house again for being a JW

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Tij:
    I was at Elgin in '86(?), however I was living down in England at the time.
    When I returned to Scotland it was to the island, so Quick Builds were knocked on the head. It was just too far to travel for a weekend. It coincided with a major shift to muli-week refurbishments, instead of weekend builds, so there was an additional lack of motivation.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    What is a DUB?

Welcome to the forum, Madteach! The term "Dub" is a shortened version of JW (Jay-Double-You). It just means active witnesses. It eases the Carpel Tunnel to shorten as many terms as possible in print. Jeannie

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Worst quick build i went on (in retrospect) was the one where I met my now ex husband. We just jelled that weekend, then we got married, then we got divorced a long time later.

Best quick build I ever went on was when I met a Real Cute young builder. He was only 18 when I was 24 and married, but god he was gorgeous, I couldnt take my christian eyes off him. Six years later newly divorced, and newly out of the cult we smoked pot together and had one fantastic night of sex.

God bless quick builds!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit