Please share your Quick Build Experiences here...

by jeanniebeanz 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Everytime I showed up for a quick build they stuck me in kitchen duty. What the heck!!!

I haven't shown in 10 years! I got tired of the kitchen bit!

My husband always shows up, though. He gets together with other brothers and they always go here and there for WBTS construction throughout Florida.

DY

• G Money
    G Money

I worked on an international quickbuild whilst living out of the US. It was fun, the head elders were kind of whacked but the other that flew in to help were cool. I showed them around and we had a good time.

I also had too much fun with one elder's daughter in a house full of sleeping elders. Oh the thrill. lol

I didn 't do manual labour but just did errands as I knew all the roads and had a car, something which many witnesses didn't have, especially the visiting brothers.

• willyloman
    willyloman

I worked on five; three in food service, two in an "administrative department" (unable to clarify for fear of retribution... I'm just newly faded and need to protect family, sorry).

From the sounds of this thread, the WTS has lost a lot of talented volunteer labor.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I only worked on one, but Dave and our sons worked on lots of them. Of course, they are tradesmen, and for many of them, I had a young child, so didn't volunteer.

I just remember being exhausted.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i was never spiritual enough to go ( only got 5 or 6 hours a month instead of 10)

but my daughter went with her aunt and uncle once..and came back with head lice.

i'm glad i was never spiritual enough!

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

THE EARLY 'QUICK BUILDS' AROUND HERE WERE REFERRED TO AS 'TWO DAY MIRACLES'. SO THE CATHOLIC CHURCH WAS NOT THE ONLY RELIGIOUS ORGANIZATION IN THE AREA WITH 'MIRACLES!

THE BROTHERS SOON REALIZED THIS WAS NOT A GOOD 'TERM' TO USE AND REVERTED TO CALLING THEM 'QUICK BUILDS'.

OVER THE YEARS SOME PEOPLE WERE HURT WORKING ON THESE PROJECTS BECAUSE OF THE 'HURRIED' WORK ATMOSPHERE.

I LIKED THE GOOD OLD DAYS WHEN IT TOOK US TWO TO THREE YEARS TO BUILD A HALL. GREAT BREAK FROM DOOR BANGING!

OUTASERVICE

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>> you made the stupid rule you explain it to the bros...
    >> i'll take down the sign when you retract the rule.

Beautiful! It's much easier to pass down an idiotic rule when you don't have to be the idiot that explains to a VOLUNTEER PROFESSIONAL LABORER that he can only have one roll! How far up your rearend do you have to cram your cranium to pull a stunt like that?

But you handled it absolutely beautifully.

Dave

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I only ever went to one quick build, and that was only cos my cousin went and I was staying at his house at the time. We didn't really want to do any work so we said we would do health and safety / security. They let us as well even though we were only 16. I didn't even wear the hard hat, shows how much I knew about H&S. My cousin had done a short course at school I think but the sum total of his knowledge was giving a plastic dummy mouth to mouth (this is in lifesaving terms you understand, not a blow up doll or anything)

The site was full of lasses looking for a guy with their names written on their hats in marker pen. There were some kids who came but couldn't go on site so just annoyed the neighbours by playing football in the street and kicking the ball into people's gardens and windows. Lots of the equipment was piled on the pavements so ordinary folk couldn't get passed. The guttering was put on wrong so that it drained off into the neighbours yard. Some clown decided to put all the plasterboard up and make a start on the decorating before the electrics had been put in. At one point a resident called the police... it was a bit of a shambles really.

The society did tighten up on who could go on quick builds shortly after that. Maybe they heard about us and our botch build.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    How far up your rearend do you have to cram your cranium to pull a stunt like that?

sphincterly put...aa

• loosie
    loosie

I worked in the kitchen at a quick build one time. My main goal going there though was to find some well built brother who knew how to swing a hammer to hook up with... lol That didn't pan out but it was fun getting to see the good looking bros in tank tops.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit