Did life as a JW turn you into an alcoholic?

by hamsterbait 12 Replies latest jw friends

• James Jackson
    James Jackson

Oh Yeah! The Stress, Disappointments, Unfulfilled expectations, you realize you going to die without seeing Armegeddon, etc.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

No. I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings. I'm a drunk. We go to parties

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Although the thread is old, some will have similar questions. I'll try to answer seriously.

I am an alcoholic. JW's did not cause my alcoholism. Although exposure to Watchtower as a youth aided in my becoming a JW, I became an alcoholic as a "worldly" non-JW and then joined the JW's.

For me, life as a JW substituted for heavy drinking. Instead, I was heavily living the cult life. It worked for the most part.

Leaving actually caused me to fall off the wagon (go back to drinking) for awhile. I had never really addressed my alcoholism while being a JW and finding out I was lied to allowed me to slip back into a depression that was part of my problem.

Eventually, I got the help I needed. There are no standard answers to your questions. Others would drink because of the lifestyle and maybe be able to cut down or stop when leaving the lifestyle, but I think people need to be aware that learning the truth about "the truth" can be devestating and difficult for one's sobriety.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit