At the Door

by AuntieJane 11 Replies latest jw friends

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

I think I was marked for a couple of yrs, but the JWs are in our neighborhood these days. I took a couple mags and gave my own little spiel (gently) a couple weeks ago. I'm thinking NEXT time...I will be prepared. Something like..." How nice that you people want to share the Bible...isn't that what we are all supposed to do, as Christians?? " (wait for reply...obvious, yes, grin)

" I will be glad to take your literature, and if, in return, you will take something of mine, can I count on you to read it?" Then hand them the Lord's prayer, or something printed from the Bible..might even ask them if we, as fellow Christians, could join in praying from the Bible together, then whip it (the Lord's Prayer).

Any ideas of the response I will get? I want to be prepared.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

They tell em what to do in the reasoning book, they are ordered not to accept other literature cause it might be **tada** apostate literature or could contain demons. They won't take it, and if you try and pray with them they wont do that either. Especially if you're a lady...

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

If any JW takes literature from you, you can be sure it'll be deposited in the nearest trash bin they find.

It's best not to answer the door. You won't win.

DY

• blondie
    blondie

The best you can do is plant a seed of doubt that will take root later. Don't use anything but the Bible, preferably the NWT, and their own literature.

Hang them with their own words but don't be confrontational. Be aware that they will run away at the sign of anything that makes them uncomfortable, even if you have a 100 facts proving your position. But they won't forget. When something like that comes up again in the news or in their own congregation, they will think more about it until the evidence is too overwhelming.

The fact that people like DY are on this board proves that JWs develop doubts and leave mentally if not literally.

Blondie

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Why do JWs react so negatively to the Lords Prayer?

• blondie
    blondie

Because most other Bibles tack this phrase on the end of the Lord's Prayer

For thine is the kingdom,
    and the power,
    and the glory,
    for ever and ever.
    Amen.

And the WTS teaches that is a spurious addition.

So if you are handing out the Lord's prayer from another translation, leave that off. They might take it.

w64 4/15 p. 231 What Will "God?s Kingdom Come" Mean to You? ***

Contradiction was brought into this prayer when some religious copier of the Holy Scriptures added to the prayer as given in the Sermon on the Mount the following words: "For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen." (Matt. 6:13, Authorized Version, Martin Luther German Version) As a result hundreds of millions of religious people in Christendom have for centuries recited the prayer with the addition of those unauthorized words as a conclusion or doxology. Seemingly they have never stopped to think of how at the beginning of the prayer they could recite the words "Thy kingdom come" and then in the conclusion of their prayer say: "Thine is the kingdom." If the kingdom was already God?s, why should they pray in the same prayer: "Thy kingdom come"?

This shows the foolishness of adding something to God?s inspired Word with the idea of trying to improve it or fill it out.

w63 3/15 p. 167 What Does the "Lord?s Prayer" Mean to You? ***

In the Authorized Version the words, "for thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen," are added at the end of Jesus? model prayer. These words, however, are not found in old manuscripts such as the Sinaiticus, Vatican 1209, Codex Bezae and the sixth-century Codex Palimpsestus Dublinensis. They are, therefore, evidently spurious and are left out of modern translations.

Blondie

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Good one Blondie.

And YHWH doesn't appear in any place in the NT other than one fragment of a manuscript quoting the OT. But they stick that in anyway (spuriously). Jerome said the ignorant read the word as' pipi.' I'm sure Leolaia will know the source of that.

HB

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Be aware that they will run away at the sign of anything that makes them uncomfortable, even if you have a 100 facts proving your position. But they won't forget.

Isn't that the truth?

Back when I was pioneering, a youth minister gave me a list of WT articles he wanted to see. Of course I looked them up before I returned to see him. They really threw me. It was example after example of the changes in teachings, specifically the generation issue. I never could get that out of my head.

• adelmaal
    adelmaal
    Why do JWs react so negatively to the Lords Prayer?

Matthew 6:7 NWT - "But when praying, do not say the same things over and over again, just as the people of the nations do, for they imagine they will get a hearing for their use of many words."

JWs do not believe in repeating the same prayers over and over again, which the Catholics seem to do with the Lord's Prayer. They believe that repeating the words over and over again merely serves to lose the meaning of the actual prayer, which was given to us as a model to follow when praying and not as something that we should just vainly repeat over and over again without grasping the meaning of the words.

• alw
    alw

auntie jane, how about this......

after talking to them and accepting their mags present them with this quote...."WHEN PERSONS ARE IN GREAT DANGER FROM A SOURCE THEY DO NOT SUSPECT OR ARE BEING MISLED BY THOSE THEY CONSIDER THEIR FRIENDS,IS IT AN UNKINDNESS TO WARN THEM ? THEY MAY PREFER NOT TO BELIEVE THE WARNING. THEY MAY EVEN RESENT IT. BUT DOES THAT FREE ONE FROM MORAL RESPONSIBILITY TO GIVE THAT WARNING.

this is a q.uote from the watchtower mag. jan 15 1974, they will find that impressive, then go on to tell them something like the same org. joined the U.N. or the rand smart bomb profits they make, or some other topic you feel comfortable with.

this quote of the wts is in the front of ray franz book crisis of conscience.

all the best,mr.alw

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit