Father told me about the elders school a couple years ago about this topic.

by Greyeyes 19 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

In the above letter to the elders in regard to child molesting it mentions in the first 3 sentences:

(1) immediately call legal dept

(2) Please call legal department

(3) Please call legal department

#4 sentence in part reads: Never suggest to anyone they should not report molesting. If asked make it clear that whether to report the matter to the authorities or not is a personal decision and there are no congregation sanctions for either decision.

Does it sound at all like they care about the child involved? Never a mention of them--pure cold hearted legalities. I have a suspicion that this is what they put in writing, but they will try to smoothe it over and cover it up if at all possible.

cybs

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Sentence #4 ought to say.

I/we suggest you report this to the authorities, because we the elders are going to report it.

Outoftheorg

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

One situation that I was aware... an unbelieving husband who had studied a lot and was viewed as associated with the cong in the small town where he lived, molested his teen age daughter while his wife was at Pio School. The daughter, whom I was quite close to even though I was a couple of years younger than her, called a trusted older sister and told her. The sister told her not to say anything to anybody. The older sister called the elders. They also told the girl to not say anything to anybody, esp not at school. Eventually one of the elders, who was at Pio school with the mom, said it had to be reported, that Oklahoma law required it. This was in 1988. The catcher was that it was reported to a social worker that happened to be an elder. He "investigated" it. Talked to the girl and her mom, but not her dad. He reasoned with the mom that turning in the husband would leave her and her children unprovided for and his reputation and the girls' reputation would both be ruined. Of course, he also mentioned that it would cast a bad light on the congregation.

The girl is no longer a Witness. The mom is inactive. The social worker/ elder is now neither an elder or employed with DHS. He runs a funeral home now.

But the point is that the elder, John L, knew it was required to report, so he did...but he still found a way to get around it...despicable

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Hey country girl...

If there was something I could do I would. I live in another state and this was conveyed to me by my sister who knew the people involved. I wasn't there,nor did I know the people involved, so couldn't be much of a witness. The people who are there aren't talking to me anymore, so who in the heck knows what is going on. It is all very frustrating. My first hand evidence was what my sister told me the elders said to her--she didn't make that part up I know that much of her.

cybs

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    Well that's a bad example. The Silentlambs website has (or had; you'll have to check) on file a letter from the Society to an elder instructing him to ignore the fact that a new JW had confessed to murdering several people before he became a JW.

i was looking for this cos i knew id seen it somewhere....saves me trolling thru the wt cd

• willyloman
    willyloman

I'm late to respond, but as a longtime elder involved in numerous JC's, appeal committees, and a veteran of my share of phone calls to Legal and/or the Service Desk, rest assured all the answers you got here are correct. For example, AlanF 's response is chapter and verse on WT policy.

• adelmaal
    adelmaal
    If there was something I could do I would. I live in another state and this was conveyed to me by my sister who knew the people involved. I wasn't there,nor did I know the people involved, so couldn't be much of a witness. The people who are there aren't talking to me anymore, so who in the heck knows what is going on. It is all very frustrating. My first hand evidence was what my sister told me the elders said to her--she didn't make that part up I know that much of her.

CS: Could you not anonymously call the local authorities and let them know you have heard allegations of child abuse. Provide them with your sister's name, address, etc. and let them know she refuses to discuss it with you further due to religious reasons but you would like them to follow up on it? Possibly, she mentioned the names of others who are privvy to the situation. Possibly the police could inform her that it is her civic duty to come forth with the information if she is aware that a child is being abused. Just a thought...

• garybuss
    garybuss

WATCHTOWER
    BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF NEW YORK, INC.
    SCH:SSK December 24, 1992

Dear Brothers:

We received your letter or December 17 in which you inquire about handling a situation involving a brother who has been guilty of serious violations or the law in the past.

You explained that you have received information indicating that this brother "committed several murders and crimes before his baptism" You ask if "Florida law obligates some action on our part. Florida law enforcement authorities have no knowledge of this matter"

As elders you have no obligation to reveal information of this type to the authorities. Any information that you have obtained while fulfilling your duties as elders is strictly confidential. What he does about paying his debt to Society Is largely up to him and his conscience. Since he is apparently a fugitive from, the law, he obviously would not qualify for any extra privileges of service in the congregation.

You state that you have "one report of his smoking marijuana with his co-workers which may have been after his baptism." We assume that is the reason that you feel a need to meet with him. Since he is a dedicated brother and he is presently attending the meetings, there is a need to investigate to determine if some type of congregation action is necessary. Likely the best approach is to arrange for two elders to talk to him informally to make some discreet inquiries about his current conduct. If there appears to be substantial evidence of serious wrongdoing, then a committee should be formed to hear the case.

As we believe you understand, it is imperative that the elders maintain strict confidentiality about his past. If the elders inadvertently reveal his past wrongdoing undoubtedly it will result in major repercussions to him and his wife. So, handling this case calls for good judgment and discernment. We trust you brothers can handle things appropriately. Write to us again if you need further direction.

We pray Jehovah's direction .as you endeavor to fulfill your weighty responsibilities as shepherds of the flock, we send our warm Christian love.

Your Brothers,
    Watchtower B & T Society
    OF NEW YORK INC.

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

Great advice there, ignore murders, investigate pot smoking AARGH!!! These people ARE crazy.

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Greyeyes,

I was an Elder when I was a JW. You noted:

"He also tol dme that the Society's stand on it had always been that of that it MUST be reported to the athorities."

The Society "never" told the elders that they "must" report child molesters to the authorities. Rather, just the opposite happened. Private, unwritten direction given by Circuit and District Overseers to the elders was that elders are not the world's police, and should not report matters to the authorities. Only recently has the Society modified this to simply not discourage victims and their families from reporting. The elders still do not take any pro-active measures to report child molester to the authorities.

"That there had been a problem for too long of local elders being the ones to sweep it under the carpet, to protect a friend."

The elders would not sweep this under the rug. They do as the Society directs. I have no doubt that some elders might try to sweep molestation under the rug today. But this has never been the case on the larger scale. The elders are appointed and trained as representatives of the Society, and they do what they are told. When they are not sure, they call the Service Dept. and get directions.

"They also said that any elder who learns of it MUST report it to the police as their christian duty."

The new policy actually only states that elders are not to discourge the victims or their families from reporting to the authorities. The elders will not take a pro-active stance. They do not even advise the victims to report. They simply let the victim learn to do this by chance.

"And that if an elder was found out to have hidden the truth about a situation that he would be removed of all responsibility."

If an elder tried to report molestation to the police, he would be removed for involving the authorities. When I wanted to go to the police to report our PO, I was told by the new PO and the CO to not make any such report. Under the new rules, an elder might make such a report, but it is not because the Society requires him to report. He would simply no longer be discouraged from doing so.

Jim W.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit