Precident for elders to have two sets of rules. One for us and one for them

by kwintestal 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    Man! you have struck the spinal cord with me.

Dismembered, wow! I don't think I have ever seen you post such a long statement. Must have definitely struck a nerve. What do you mean by, "Examples to follow in future posts!"... I'm intrigued...

J

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Dismembered,

This is also bugged me right from my teens, due to my own personal experience.

When I was 17 I lived in a cong. with several kids my age, all who were elders' kids except me. In the next town a few of these kids set up a party house with other JW friends, who most were also elders' kids except the two guys who rented the house (they were elders' kids also but their families lived in Northern Ontario and we were in the Niagara Falls area). There wasn't much that didn't go on in this party house ... sex and drugs (both hard and soft). One day one of these elders' kids got a bothered concience and desided to tell daddy. It wasn't long until everyone was singing to save their asses.

So here I come along, sure I got in my fair share of trouble, but I was never involved with any of these people. I kept to my own friends. I was in no way part of this party house. Well, wouldn't you know, that I get brought before a JC, right when all this is going on, on charges of "loose conduct". My mother had found a diary in my room with some poems and brought them to the elders. I was questioned and I was found to be unrepentant . And wouldn't you know that everyone was so happy that the elders' kids demonstrated much more repentance then I did for going to this party house, and I MUST have been the ringleader of this party house since I was the only one disfellowshipped for it.

Sometimes I feel like a goat.

Kwin

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i agree that there is most often a double standard. but it is not just the org. it is a human institutional trait. when a human comes into a bit of power, the likelyhood of them being hung for something goes down dramatically. especially in an org where there are not very good checks in place.

• Whiskeyjack
    Whiskeyjack

It's sad that this little hierarchy can't even follow the "rules"!

As I've posted earlier, my cong. was famous for our PO's kids and it took my dad (a lowly MS) kicking up a lot of organizational "stink" to get the "rules" applied to this fellow as he applied them to others over his tenure.

I remember many post event "smearing campaigns" (never participated but I was out of the social loop!) after somebody "broke-down" and spilled some beans. I found it repulsive and sad that so many kids had to learn to work with that sort of social system in their developmental years.

W.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit