Dilantin is it a wonder drug for many ills? Ask Jack Dreyfus

by frankiespeakin 29 Replies latest jw friends

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

I have been buying drugs outside the US for some time now and I have never yet been disapointed. I don't worry about Uncle Sam as far as I'm concerned he can go take a shit in his hat.

While this certainly is your right to voice this, I will just say for the record... I have seen the DEA selectively enforce US drug laws to make examples of people. So the chances of you getting caught and prosecuted is slim, it is not unheard of.

As a person of the medical establishment I can sometimes understand people's frustration with the system. The FDA which you mention as being too slow and expensive to launch drugs, I simply point to the Cox2 inhibitor fiasco. There is always pushing from both sides...get drugs to market faster....only have super proven, super safe drugs on the market. In my opinion allowing drug companies to market directly to consumers has created a huge problem. Cox2 inhibitors were never proven more effective than Advil. Cox2 script $ 150.... that buys a lot of Advil.

So my question to you....why are you taking an epilepsy med? What benefits are you getting from the drug? Any side effects?

And all drugs have the potential to cause problems. Simple acetaminophen (Tylenol) causes thousands and thousands of emergency room visits due to overdosing, liver toxicity, and the like....so I guess I'm saying to be very careful.

• kls
    kls

Becareful Frank,EvilForce can pick your brain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Evil,

So my question to you....why are you taking an epilepsy med? What benefits are you getting from the drug? Any side effects?

As I said previously I'm takeing them as a "nootropic". Also read the information I posted above will explain it better than I. BTW 1hour after I take dilantin I notice the good effects,, you should read the link especially this one that is connected to the site:

http://www.remarkablemedicine.com/Clinical/contents.html

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Frankie I pulled up the info on this drug:

Side Effects

Common side effects of phenytoin include:
    ? Swollen, tender gums.
    ? Growth of facial and body hair.
    ? Enlarged or rough facial features.
    ? Acne.
    ? Skin rash.

High levels of phenytoin in the body may also cause:
    ? Drowsiness.
    ? Double vision.
    ? Dizziness.
    ? Tremors or shaking.
    ? Decreased coordination.
    ? Confusion and inability to concentrate.
    ? Osteoporosis.

See Drug Reference for a full list of side effects. (Drug Reference is not available in all systems.)
    What To Think About

Getting regular blood tests to monitor the level of medication in your blood can help keep your dose in the appropriate range.
    ? Adverse effects. Phenytoin has side effects that may affect your appearance (excess hair, acne, enlarged or rough facial features). Many people may be unwilling to deal with these side effects. While most people tolerate the drug fairly well, at high levels it can affect your thinking (cognitive impairment). Because it can cause osteoporosis, phenytoin often is not the best choice for older people. In rare cases, phenytoin can affect blood counts, the liver, or the kidneys.
    ? Risk of birth defects. Phenytoin has been shown to increase the risk of birth defects, especially heart defects, cleft lip and palate, and milder defects affecting the face, skull, and fingers and toes.
    ? Ease of use. Phenytoin requires several doses per day and comes in several forms.
    ? Cost. Phenytoin is less expensive than carbamazepine and controls the same types of seizures just as well.
    ? Other concerns. Phenytoin may reduce the effectiveness of birth control pills.

It may take time and careful, controlled adjustments by you and your doctor to find the combination, schedule, and dosing of medication to best manage your epilepsy. The goal is to prevent seizures while causing as few unwanted side effects as possible. Once the most effective medication program is determined, it is important that you follow it exactly as prescribed.

I've also noticed in my journal that it interferes with quite a few different common medicines including proton pump inhibitors (treats GERD, Reflux, etc.).

A woman should not take this med, if there is a chance she will bear children as birth defects are a common side effect. The medicine also interferes with birth control.

It also creates issues with osteoporosis and possible gynacomastia...enlarged male breast tissue.

Now it has some other uses including neuropathic pain reduction especially cancer type pain. It has a higher tolerance rate than anti-depressents for chronic pain. Anticonvulsants like dilantin control cancer pain by altering the way sodium and calcium travel across the surface of nerve cells in the brain. The nerve cells send fewer signals and the brain senses a decrease in pain.

SO WHAT AM I SAYING FRANKIE????

It's your body and your health so you are the best judge of the effects of it on your body and mind. But I would urge you to let your doctor know you are taking the meds so he can keep an eye out on any issues. He can't order you off the meds...just tell him the benefits you are seeing.

However, this is a drug....and not all people have the same reactions to drugs. I would not highly advise against anyone to start this drug without consulting their doctor. While I did not read all the reports on the link you provided...most of them were all done a number of decades ago and I am not sure how many would meet today's minimum acceptance guidelines for scientific journals. Not saying they are or are not accurate as I have not had time to fully vet them.

However, anytime someone has a new miracle cure that fixes anything and everything I am highly suspect to their motives.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Evil,

Thanks for the advice. The site I gave for dilantin claims to have no finacial intrest in the drug and supplies documented info which is a important factor.

What type of medical experience do you have BTW?

Yes I plan on taking care of this body of mine the best I can and at a moderate price. The reason I posted this is that other people might find this info benifical. Not all doctors are aware of the benifit of dilantin,, my daughter takes tegretal for seisures which I think has a lot more harmful side effects, pluss none of the many benifits that dilantin does.
    Tegretal: http://www.mentalhealth.com/drug/p30-t01.html#Head_3

Anyway the internet is a wounderful place where you can find much info in a hurry.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

I specialize in neurology.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Kls,

LOL. Your bad I bet you knew.

Evil,

Now I know what Kls ment by pick my brains. Your not a brain surgeon are you???

So what do you think about some of the nootropic drugs on the market,, Like Hydergine, piracecetam,, and others the say according to studies these really do help even those with alhiemers.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Yes I also am a "brain doctor".

I guess being a Dub so long I was tired of being "brain dead".

I can't really comment too much on the drugs you listed since I do not specialize in Alzheimer's therepy. My main work is in spinal issues, injuries and degenerative nerve conditions. My associate is our Alzheimer's "go to guy". I'll ask him what he knows. The only thing I can recall with piracetam was for acute stroke and it's treatment.

However, I think Alzheimer's will be significantly improved within the next 20 years. So much of brain function has finally been discovered in the past 10 years, that meaningful therepies and clinical studies are being conducted now. The drug companies realize that as the "boomer generation" ages they will want medicinal therepies to combat this illness. This is one of the most dynamic, quickly morphing fields in science today.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Here's something on the site I found interesting:

http://www.remarkablemedicine.com/Clinical/clinicaluses/thoughtmood/summary.html

Thought, Mood and Behavior Disorders

From the outset, in its use with epileptics, side benefits of PHT(dilantin) were noted. Improvements in thought, mood and behavior were observed. ?Salutary effects of PHT on personality, memory, mood, cooperativeness, emotional stability, amenability to discipline, etc., are also observed, sometimes independently of seizure control.??Goodman and Gilman (1955) 703

703. Goodman, L. S. and Gilman, A., The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, 2nd Ed., 181-188, Macmillan, New York, 1955.

Summary

Phenytoin has been found useful for so many symptoms and disorders that an overall summary is impractical.

The section on Thought, Mood and Behavior Disorders deserves special attention?not only for the benefits in these disorders themselves, but because of the resultant lessening of tension and stress associated with many other disorders.

Soon after phenytoin?s introduction, in 1938, reports started to appear in the medical literature of patients? improvement in mood, concentration, cooperativeness and sense of well-being. By now, extensive published evidence form widely separated sources has established PHT?s usefulness for thought, mood and behavior disorders.

Phenytoin has been shown to have a calming effect on the overactive brain. Symptoms of this condition are preoccupation, multiple thinking, and flashes and fragments of thoughts coming and going. PHT reduces this uncontrolled activity enabling more normal thinking processes to be restored. This effect is usually achieved within an hour, without sedation.

Anger and fear and related emotion are usually found in combination with the overactive brain. Emotional states related to anger for which PHT is therapeutic are impatience, implusiveness, irritability, aggression, hostility, rage, and violence, Emotional states related to fear for which PHT is therapeutic are worry, anxiety, guilt, pessimism and depression. Although excessive anger and fear states are decreased or eliminated by PHT, realistic reaction of anger and fear are not interfered with.

Sleep disturbances found in combination with the overactive brain fall into two general categories. The first and most frequent category is symptomatized by difficulty in falling asleep because of over-thinking, light sleep accompanied by unpleasant dreams and frequent nightmares, and insufficient sleep. A less frequent category is symptomatized by excessive, so-called avoidance sleep. Relief from both types of sleep disturbances is usually prompt with PHT.

PHT is effective with extremes of mood ranging from depression to the hyperexcitable state. These apparently disparate effects are observed in the overactive, impatient individual who is calmed by PHT, and the tired, energyless individual who has a return to normal energy levels.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Most pharmeceuticals have side effects. They usually pass in a week or two when the body gets used to them.

It seems that your results should come quite quickly. It will be interesting to hear your feedback about dilantin.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit