Seeker4 Invited to a Committee Meeting Tonight

by Seeker4 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Yup, they are going ahead with it. At least I think they are. I spent most of yesterday, Sunday, writing what turned out to be a 10 page letter to the body of elders about why I feel they are out of line in seeking to disfellowship me (For those new to this situation, I've been seperated from my wife and living with another woman for the past six months. I've not been an active Witness for a decade.). The letter also detailed several of the major problems I had with the Witnesses and WTS teachings.

I've been inactive for 10 years, stopped attending meetings 7 or 8 years ago, and haven't been to one meeting, including the Memorial, in at least 6 years. I told them I would consider individual lawsuits against each of the elders in the congregation if they proceeded to disfellowship me after having been out of the witnesses for so long. I laid out the information in the Flock book, the elder's manual, about how the WTS says to deal with this sort of situation, and took them through it step by step, showing how they were failing to follow "theocratic procedure" in this case.

The area up for interpretation was whether I'm "still generally viewed as a Witness by the community or the congregation." In my favor here, in addition to the inactivity and total lack of meeting attendance, is that I'm editor of one of the largest weekly newpapers in my state, and a contributing editor to a statewide magazine where I write one of its most popular features. Several times, in both publications, I've referred to myself as a skeptic, non-believer and atheist, have written about my belief in evolution, my view of the Bible as mythical, and have even written openly about my leaving the Witnesses.

A few years ago I was asked to speak at the funeral of a much-loved teacher in the community. She'd been my high school English teacher, and several of her successful writer students were asked to speak. At that funeral, attended by several hundred people, I spoke of my leaving my religion. I probably was heard by more people at that one funeral than I ever really talked to in all my years of pioneering!

So, there is considerable evidence that this community no longer thinks of me as a Witness. You might imagine, as a newspaper editor, writer and photographer, that a lot of people know who I am. Few of them have any idea that I was ever involved with the JWs. And a lot in the congregation have never even met me.

Anyway, I personally delivered the letter to the elder that invited me to the judicial committee hearing. It was bittersweet, to say the least - this has been one of my best friends since we were 10 years old.

My partner said that she thought the letter was an especially effective attack on the whole Witness organization, and I think, as much as anything, that's what I intended. It's likely my last hurrah, and I will not go the silent victim of an oppressive religion. Those elders, at the least, will know exactly why I left the Witnesses. Who knows, one of them may even start to think about that.

Just wanted to say I appreciate the support and advice from the board here when I brought this up a couple of weeks ago. I used a good deal of the information you provided.

Tonight a JW judicial committee meets in judgement of me. I was baptized 42 years ago. Tomorrow I mail off divorce papers ending a relationship that goes back 37 years. Despite the changes in my feelings in both of these situations - this is a hell of a week, and not the easiest time I've been through. These have been two of the most important parts of my life, and they are now irrevocably coming to an end.

Thanks again for the support.

S4

• donald
    donald

hello seeker...i wish you the best....but dont fret it..you been gone so long there s no looking back....donald

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

((((S4))))

Well done. Hope what you've written has some effect on the damn meddling elders.

• Will Power
    Will Power

Don't forget to mention that when you were baptized 42 years ago.....you did not swear your allegience to the 3rd party of the WT Trinity - namely the organization - of which they are trying to have you removed. Since the vows changed in 1985....

Your never dedicated yourself as such !!

Good Luck !....

will

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser

Maybe you could write an editorial in one of the publications you write for. Give a good witness to the local community.

• Frog
    Frog

Hey there Seeker4, so are you going to deliver the letter in person, or just let it do the talking for you? I expect that they probably won't give your letter the time it deserves, it'll just be an opportunity for the 'boys club' to catchup and talk about everything and anything else. I suggest you not go down without a fight, hopefully you will have put them in their place threatening them with individual lawsuits, and I know of cases where this has worked.

What a turmultous week you've had then(((hugs))). A week that you have to go through, just remember that no week in your life will unlikely ever be this monumentally difficult again. Whatever happens put it behind you and continue on with your good life:-)

Take care, and do keep us updated. froglett

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Several times, in both publications, I've referred to myself as a skeptic, non-believer and atheist, have written about my belief in evolution, my view of the Bible as mythical, and have even written openly about my leaving the Witnesses.

That's it right there. That's the reason they're going after you now. You've been branded an apostate. Oh sure, they've written to the elders to say leave people alone if they have been a long time gone and aren't "known" as JWs in the community. But what they really mean is: leave 'em alone if they go away, stay gone, and keep their mouths shut.

Once you open your mouth about this cult, you are fair game for the gestapo. Don't kid yourselves, people. This is religious war. They are serious as a heart attack about this s@#t!

• Krystal
    Krystal

I would say at this point them wanting to DF you has very little to do with you still being considered a witness...

They want to officially tell the rest of the "flock" not to talk to you.

Damage control.

Good Luck!

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

"Despite the changes in my feelings in both of these situations - this is a hell of a week, and not the easiest time I've been through. These have been two of the most important parts of my life, and they are now irrevocably coming to an end. "

Guard your health. It would be an understatement to say you are under tremendous stress. Best wishes to you.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Thank you for the update. I've been wondering about you lately.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit