Why is the Watchtower Society modelled on the Old Testament?

by truthseeker 17 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

But isn't Jesus God?

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

This was what really got me to start questioning the borg. Studying the Greatest Man book, I realized that the Governing Body was a modern day version of Caiphas and his croonies.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Ciaphas and his crooners. (Apoligies to tweety bird) Let's see. Dj rutherford and his robots. Knorr and the neojews.

S

• undercover
    undercover

As for the New Testament...um, the Christian Greek Scriptures, that is...they like to harp on the ramblings of Paul and Peter instead of on the teachings of the "Great Teacher".

• wiegel
    wiegel

yup yup yup - it's ALWAYS an old testament example. Now that I've been away long enough I can see that so clearly and wonder - WTF????

trudy

• Satanus
    Satanus
    they like to harp on the ramblings of Paul and Peter instead of on the teachings of the "Great Teacher".

That would give dubs entirely too much freedom for their own good. If they stuck w what the great teacher taught, dubs would be wandering off to visit other churches, like the pentles, the greek orthodox, or even *gasp* the catholics. Dubs would also try to do things that the great teacher did; exorcisms, going off alone somewhere for periods of up to 40 days, fasting, walking on water, making their own wine from water, bringing dead people back to life, healing sick or injured people, etc.

S

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Yes it is as though the New Testament or as they call it the Christian Greek Scriptures never happened.

There is definitely a heavy bias towards the Old Testament.

Maybe the fact that Jesus had a better attitude towards women than the deplorable example shown in the OT is also a factor. Hmmm.

LHG

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Old Testament or New Testament - it makes no difference. The scriptures they use most from either part of the bible are those that are suited to controling the rank & file. If there's a rule in the bible they'll use it to keep their slaves in line.

Is there anything good in the bible, OT or NT, that they model themselves on? Something that doesn't involve control, meetings, service, or donations?

I can't think of anything.

Walter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit